Seeking Infomation on Resident Requirements

This is a discussion on Seeking Infomation on Resident Requirements within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This will be the last update to this file. I think we have everything I was looking for. Thanks Everyone. I am seeking information on ...

Thread: Seeking Infomation on Resident Requirements

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar

Seeking Infomation on Resident Requirements

This will be the last update to this file. I think we have everything I was looking for. Thanks Everyone.

I am seeking information on the lengh of time that you must be a resident of a state before you can apply for a Resident Permit/License to carry a firarm. Many times it states that you must be a resident but gives no time period in the CCW/CHL informatiom or laws for the state. I believe that some states you are a resident as soon as you obtain a Drivers License or State Issued ID for that state. A link to a state site that states the time period would be appreciated if possible. Any assistance you can give me in this matter would be greatly appreciated. This is just more information I am collecting that may be added to the data base at Handgunlaw.us in the future. Thank You and Stay Safe,

Gary Slider
    Handgunlaw.us

Resident Time to Resident
    Apply for Permit Law/Rule

AL Reside in County
    AK 90 Days Sec. 18.65.705.
    AZ Resident or U.S. Citizen 13-3112.
    AR 12 Months 5-73-309.
    CA None. See Law 12050 (D)
    CO Law Says Legal Resident 18-12-203
    CT Reside in Jurisdiction Sec. 29-28
    DE Reside in Jurisdiction 11-I-5-1441
    DC
    FL None. See Law 222.17
    GA None. See Law 16-11-129
    HI Citizen of U.S. §134-9
    ID Upon Obtaining Dri. Lic 18-3302.
    IL
    IN Resident. See Law IC 35-47-2-3 (c)
    IA Upon Obtaining Dri. Lic 724.1
    KS 6 Months Application
    KY 6 Months 237.11
    LA 6 Months L.R.S. 40:1379.3
    ME None. See Law 25 M.R.S.A. § 2003.
    MD None. See Law Public Safety 5-306.
    MA None. See Law 140:131 (d)
    MI 6 Months 28.425b
    MN Upon Obtaining DL Application
    MS 12 Months 45-9-101.
    MO 6 Months 571.101.
    MT 6 Months 45-8-321.
    NE 180 Days 272 NAC 21-005
    NV Need NV Drivers Lic. / ID Application
    NH Need NH Drivers Lic. / ID Application
    NJ None. See Law 13:54-2.4
    NM NM Dr. Lic + 1 other 10.8.2.12
    NY None. See Law 400.00
    NC 30 Days NC DOJ Regs
    ND None

Handgunlaw.us Resident Time to
    State CCW Website Apply for Permit

OH 45 Days § 2923.125.
    OK Upon Obtaining DL 21 § 1290.9
    OR 6 Months 166.291
    PA None. See Law 18-61-6109
    RI None. See Law 11-47-11
    SC None. See Law 23-31-210
    SD 30 Days 23-7-7.1.
    TN 30 Days 55-50-102
    TX None. See Law GC §411.173.
    UT None
    VT
    VA None
    WA Any Time
    WV Upon Obtaining DL Application
    WI
    WY 6 Months 6-8-104
    Last edited by Gary Slider; December 6th, 2006 at 12:22 AM. Reason: List Updated
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    PA Gary is another 90 days candidate to best of my knowledge - hopefully QK or someone else will confirm. Proof accepted as utility bill etc.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

No time limit in SC. If your a resident you immediately qualify.

Here is one excerpt from SLED site:

Permits issued to a resident by a reciprocal state are not valid in South Carolina if the permittee has moved to South Carolina and established residence here; in this case they are no longer residents of the reciprocal state and are not authorized by their out-of-state permit to carry a firearm in South Carolina. A person who has established residence in South Carolina, with intent to become a permanent resident, is immediately eligible to apply for a South Carolina permit (SC Code Section 23-31-210(1)), but must meet all requirements of South Carolina law, including proof of training. Proof of training is defined in SC Code Section 23-31-210(4), which may be found in the CWP law published in this web site. If a new South Carolina resident intends to cite a training program as meeting the qualification for a South Carolina permit, the training must have occurred within the past three (3) years and must have included all required topics, including statutory and case law relating to handguns and to the use of deadly force.

that was taken from here:

http://www.sled.state.sc.us/SLED/def...ce=Reciprocity

A Drivers license is proof of residency. And here is the list of qualifications needed to obtain a SC drivers liscense (taken from the State Motor vehicle licensing division site as to what consitutes proof or residency):

ALL APPLICANTS MUST PROVIDE PROOF OF SC RESIDENCY FROM THE FOLLOWING LIST:
    Proof of Residency - Applicants must provide one of the following:
    • School Records - Records must be from S.C. school (current or prior school year)
    - Student ID
    - Report Card
    - Letter or contract from Home Schooling Association
    - Official letter from individual’s school or school district on school or district letterhead
    - Certified transcript
    - Diploma from S.C. school (child has graduated within the last school year)
    • Out-of-state or in-state tuition bill with applicant’s S.C. physical address.
    • Current Employment Records (no more than 90 days old). (Records must be from S.C. employer or have S.C. address for
    applicant on records from an out of state employer).
    - Letter on employer letterhead
    - Payroll stub showing S.C. withholdings
    - Intent to hire on employer letterhead
    • Current utility bill no more than 90 days old. A utility bill is specific to services for your residence. Examples are electric,
    water, sewage, cable, and satellite. Cell phone bills are not acceptable.
    • S.C. Welfare/Social Services Card
    • S.C. Medicaid card
    • Parolee Cards or letter from parole officer (no more than 90 days old)
    • Mortgage documents (no more than 90 days old)
    • Current S.C. Weapon’s Permit
    • County Tax Notice or Property Receipt for home or vehicle
    • State or Federal Tax records
    - Income tax returns for current or prior year are acceptable including electronic tax file or W2.
    - If applicant is listed as dependent on SC tax return that is presented as proof of residency, proof applies to
    dependent also.
    • Current Military Orders detailing active duty assignment in S.C. (no more than 90 days old)
    • Current letter from Military Base with the commander verifying duty station in S.C. (no more than 90 days old)
    • Bank statement or letter showing name of applicant and S.C. physical address (no more than 90 days old)
    • Social security check showing name and S.C. physical address of applicant (no more than 90 days old)
    • Insurance documentation (no more than 90 days old)
    - Letter from insurance company or agent licensed to do business in S.C. stating name of applicant and indicating
    S.C. address of applicant
    - Insurance policy, showing name of applicant and S.C. address
    • Letter from director of social welfare institution (homeless shelter, battered women’s shelter, halfway house, group home,
    orphanage, etc.) stating applicant is resident of facility (no more than 90 days old)
    • Vehicle Insurance Card (only if S.C. address and customer’s name appear on card)
    • Article of mail with official Post Office address change label
    • Unwritten or canceled personal check with applicant’s name and S.C. physical address
    • S.C. Vehicle registration

Utah doesn't seem to have any distinction between resident and non-resident permits. The only thing that establishes that I'm a Utah resident is the fact that I have a Utah address on my permit. So effectively there is no time limit.

The NY permit instructions state that you need to be a resident for 6 months before you can apply for your permit. I got my permit application in Monroe county and I've seen variations on the instructions though of the two counties that I have seen instructions for, they both have a 6 month minimum. I do not know if this is law or if it is "administrative rules" as are sometimes used in NY.
    But bottom line is Monroe County, NY = 6 month wait.

NH no wait after becoming a resident.
    ME no wait after becoming a resident.
    (I have recently held resident permits in both of the above states)

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Blackeagle does bring up an excellent point. In the future, you may consider posting up how long a person has to change their permits over from "Non-Resident" to "Resident" and vice-versa. Just a thought.

As for Arizona:
    There is nothing that I could find on either www.azccw.com or http://www.azdps.gov/ccw/obtpermit.asp about any residency requirements. So as far as I can tell, no requirement is neccesary.

If someone can find otherwise, Mods, please just delete my post or change the info.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Oregon is incorrect, as a waiting period is not in the law.

This was one of the "requirements" that some sheriffs (lane was one of them) try to put off as law.

Goto http://www.oregonfirearms.org/faq/ as they have a FAQ on this.

If you confront the sheriff on this requirement they will back down and issue if you are clean.

Wayne
    Last edited by Wayne; December 4th, 2006 at 02:14 PM. Reason: screwed up the URL

[QUOTE=Gary Slider;245989]I believe that some states you are a resident as soon as you obtain a Drivers License or State Issued ID for that state.
    Handgunlaw.us in the future. Thank You and Stay Safe,

Gary Slider
    Handgunlaw.us

Small point...
    You are a resident in any state when you receive your driver's license or voter registration...you have then given an address within the state and are immediately a 'resident'.

Florida requires no CCW waiting period, as one does not have to be a resident...
    How To Apply....
    Obtain an Application for Concealed Weapon or Firearm License by filling out an online request form for applications or by contacting any of our offices. The application packet includes the form to be filled out, a copy of Chapter 790, Florida Statutes, a fingerprint card, and a return envelope for the completed application.

Read and study the copy of Chapter 790, Florida Statutes.
    Have a passport-style, color photograph made.
    Get verification of training that satisfies the training requirement. The application lists acceptable documents. Make a photocopy to send with the application as an original cannot be returned. Persons serving in the United States Armed Forces may submit a copy of their Military ID Card to satisfy the training requirement.
    Get certified copies of court documents relating to any criminal charges against you.
    Take the fingerprint card to a local law enforcement agency and ask to be fingerprinted. In addition to providing fingerprinting services for the traditional "hard-card" format, electronic fingerprint devices are available at almost all 67 county sheriff’s offices in the state. Visit the Electronic Fingerprints Information page to learn how Live Scan fingerprinting saves processing time.
    Complete the application. Either print clearly with ink or type the information.
    In the presence of a notary, sign application.
    Submit a check or money order for the license fee payable to the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. This fee is not refundable...blah, blah, blah, ...mail it in!

However, the waiting period for different items is another matter.
    Example, you are a resident in Florida after moving in today and going to get your driver's license (with proof of address). To attend most colleges, you will have to have a year of residence in the state to avoid paying 'out of state' tuition. To vote, you must have lived (and registered) 30 days prior to the election in your new 'area' of residence, etc.

Stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Utah Noresident requirements. Any U.S. resident can apply.
    www.bci.utah.gov/CFP/CFPFAQ/FAQResident.html
    The Dragon has time and experience. Maturity has given him knowledge, strength, skill, wisdom and inner peace.
    Glock 26 Certified Glock Armorer
    Mossberg 590 12 ga.

Gary, the SC addition is misleading as you have it now. I meant just to use the list from the Drivers license page to give a list of all the things you could use to establish residency. The actual term that you need to fulfill before applying is none except that you have to establish residency. Getting a drivers liscense is just one way to prove that. There are others that will also work. But you are then immediately eligible to apply for a CWP here.

Here is the actual section in the CWP law

SECTION 23-31-210. Definitions.

As used in this article:

(1) "Resident" means an individual who is present in South Carolina with the intention of making a permanent home in South Carolina or military personnel on permanent change of station orders.

(2) "Picture identification" means:

(a) a valid South Carolina driver's license; or

(b) an official photographic identification card issued by the Department of Revenue, a federal or state law enforcement agency, an agency of the United States Department of Defense, or United States Department of State.

(3) "Proof of residence" means a person's current address on the original or certified copy of:

(a) a valid South Carolina driver's license;

(b) an official identification card issued by the Department of Revenue, a federal or state law enforcement agency, an agency of the United States Department of Defense, or United States Department of State;

(c) a voter registration card; or

(d) another document that SLED may determine that fulfills this requirement.

Sorry if I was misleading on that by using the documents requred to get a Drivers license. But as you see some of them are the same. And a DL will surfice of course. Its just that SLED's "other documents" is actualy some of the things the DMV lists in detail. And SLED doesn't go into detail. So I listed DMV's stuff first off.

Resident???

Some states say, "Resident" and nothing else. Some mention getting Registered to vote and getting state ID or Drivers License. Some say other things. I like to have a Alphanumeric law to list as that way I can go look at it real fast and get all the particulars. The list I am adding this info to is a Microsoft Excel Spread Sheet that is 100 rows long and over 45 columns wide. To print it all takes 21 sheets of paper. Just trying to keep all the info I try to keep is making me keep things as short and sweet as possible. Then I have all kinds of notes and such in other files.

I updated the listing and will work on it again tomorrow evening. Thanks Everyone for all your assistance.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Missouri

Regarding acquisition of a firearm:

RSMo 571.090. 1. A permit to acquire a concealable firearm shall be issued by the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides, if all of the statements in the application are true, and the applicant:

(1) Is at least twenty-one years of age, a citizen of the United States and has resided in this state for at least six months;

Regarding acquisition of a concealed carry endorsement (our term for permit):

RSMo 571.101. 2. A certificate of qualification for a concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to subsection 7 of this section shall be issued by the sheriff or his or her designee of the county or city in which the applicant resides, if the applicant:

(1) Is at least twenty-three years of age, is a citizen of the United States and either:

(a) Has resided in this state for at least six months; or

(b) Is a member of the armed forces stationed in Missouri, or the spouse of such member of the military;

Complete Missouri statute is located at http://www.moga.state.mo.us/statutes...rs/chap571.htm

Update to list

Last update for this list. I think I have everything I was Looking for. Thanks Everyone. I updated the first post of mine with the same list info.

Here is my latest Updated list. I have completed a quick searches of all the states and added info others provided and have come up with this list. I have tried to list the law if I could find it. Again some states just say Resident. Resident is defined in the law somewhere and I will have to search further to find them. I updated my first post so both lists are the same. Thanks everyone for your assistance. Stay Safe, Gary Slider Handgunlaw.us

Resident Time to Resident
    Apply for Permit Law/Rule

AL Reside in County
    AK 90 Days Sec. 18.65.705.
    AZ Resident or U.S. Citizen 13-3112.
    AR 12 Months 5-73-309.
    CA None. See Law 12050 (D)
    CO Law Says Legal Resident 18-12-203
    CT Reside in Jurisdiction Sec. 29-28
    DE Reside in Jurisdiction 11-I-5-1441
    DC
    FL None. See Law 222.17
    GA None. See Law 16-11-129
    HI Citizen of U.S. §134-9
    ID Upon Obtaining Dri. Lic 18-3302.
    IL
    IN Resident. See Law IC 35-47-2-3 (c)
    IA Upon Obtaining Dri. Lic 724.1
    KS 6 Months Application
    KY 6 Months 237.11
    LA 6 Months L.R.S. 40:1379.3
    ME None. See Law 25 M.R.S.A. § 2003.
    MD None. See Law Public Safety 5-306.
    MA None. See Law 140:131 (d)
    MI 6 Months 28.425b
    MN Upon Obtaining DL Application
    MS 12 Months 45-9-101.
    MO 6 Months 571.101.
    MT 6 Months 45-8-321.
    NE 180 Days 272 NAC 21-005
    NV Need NV Drivers Lic. / ID Application
    NH Need NH Drivers Lic. / ID Application
    NJ None. See Law 13:54-2.4
    NM NM Dr. Lic + 1 other 10.8.2.12
    NY None. See Law 400.00
    NC 30 Days NC DOJ Regs
    ND None

Handgunlaw.us Resident Time to
    State CCW Website Apply for Permit

OH 45 Days § 2923.125.
    OK Upon Obtaining DL 21 § 1290.9
    OR 6 Months 166.291
    PA None. See Law 18-61-6109
    RI None. See Law 11-47-11
    SC None. See Law 23-31-210
    SD 30 Days 23-7-7.1.
    TN 30 Days 55-50-102
    TX None. See Law GC §411.173.
    UT None
    VT
    VA None
    WA Any Time
    WV Upon Obtaining DL Application
    WI
    WY 6 Months 6-8-104
    Last edited by Gary Slider; December 6th, 2006 at 12:24 AM.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Links