Toy guns

Toy guns

This is a discussion on Toy guns within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm just checking to see if I am nuts with my opinion on toy guns... My son (8 yo) has always been taught that a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toy guns

Toy guns

I'm just checking to see if I am nuts with my opinion on toy guns...

My son (8 yo) has always been taught that a gun is never a toy. With that in mind, he has never had a "toy" gun. I'd really rather not have them around the house.

With the realistic looking toys these days, I've always believed that it was best to teach my son not to touch any gun (without me being there, and getting my permission) - just in case. He understands what a gun can do, and that they are not something to play with.

I've taught him that you never point a gun at someone unless your life is in danger, and you fully intend to shoot them. It's hard at the same time to tell him, "well, unless it's a toy, then feel free to point it at him and say bang you're dead".

I've tried to explain to people that I would have less of a problem with him being given a real .22 rifle than a fake one. Apparently my logic is lost on some people.

So am I nuts on this subject?

Administrator

Thumbs up

At 8 years old your child should be ready for some carefully supervised .22 rimfire shooting.

Then you can tell him that TOY guns are for little babies and that it's time for him to learn more about Real Gun Safety as a young adult.

Then he won't want to "play" with TOY guns anymore.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I had toy guns aplenty as a kid, and I don't think it's a harm. I knew the difference between real ones and toys. If I played with kids using toy guns, it was play, and it wasn't like I was going out around town trying to fool people who didn't know me into thinking I had a real gun -- which seems to be the way some morons get themselves into serious trouble these days.

I say, let kids have their fun. If you must, have them play with toy guns that are brightly colored and are obviously not real ones. But realize that kids, particularly boys, WILL make guns out of things whether they can avail themselves of manufactured toy guns or not. If need be, they'll use bent sticks, or even their fingers, and they'll point them at their enemies.

We say that guns are not toys, but we don't have to take a zealot-like "zero-tolerance" policy about them, which is what ANTIs do. Remember how antis treat miniature G.I. Joe guns as though they're potentially deadly weapons if kids bring them to school? Or how they treat photographs of guns as though they are as dangerous as real guns? Why should we imitate that idiotic attitude?

If you know that your kid is pointing a TOY gun at his friends, I don't see the problem with that. He is NOT necessarily developing a habit of pointing REAL guns at anyone. When he's playing with his friends, and pointing toy guns at them, he's doing the play version of what we'd do if we, with our real guns, were fighting against an enemy in war or a self defense situation. He's doing it because he's probably the cop and they're the robbers, right? (Possibly vice-versa, but it's just role-play.) You can consider this to be practice for real life later on -- you do want him to have the courage and the attitude to be able to use a gun in righteous self-defense, yes?

If you think about the play circumstances, if your kid is the "good guy," and has a toy gun in that role, he should be allowed to point and "fire" it at the bad guys, just as he would in real life if that were necessary. Maybe you could instruct him to treat it as though it were real, and have him observe gun safety rules when the gun is not in play. You know, fire it at the bad guys, sure, but when you're not "using" it, keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, finger off the trigger, don't point it at friendlies, etc.

Just make sure, obviously, that your kid knows to draw the line when he is handling a real gun. If he's normal, he should have no problem doing so.

My sons have play swords and squirt guns. No, play guns that are even remotely realistic.

I'm not concerned that they can't distinguish between fantasy and reality but what about the ccw mailman who sees my son with a gun and doesn't know it' fake?

Fake guns are dangerous.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

I had a giant arsenal of toy guns when I was a child. I was smart enough to know not to go pointing them at grownups and to play with them at home. Somehow I managed to get through my childhood without being gunned down.

I grew up with a large bin in my parent's garage that was full of toy guns, and every kid in the neighborhood knew it. Some of them were extremely realistic, and others were not. None of us ever got blasted and we ran all over the neighborhood with them, but we were smart enough not to point them ay anyone who wasn't playing.

My aunt and uncle are extremely anti-gun and know that I, and to a lesser dergeee my dad are very into firearms, once when they were visiting over the holidays my uncle asked me if all the guns were locked up in our house, afraid that his kids might see a real gun. (the only loaded and unlocked one was my shotgun in condition 3 behind my locked room door.) However my cousins love to make toy guns out of anything, and the aunt and uncle have finally conceded that they can have toy guns.

I guess I'm saying I dont see a problem with making a distinction. What if in 5 years your son wants to get into paintball or airsoft, which are extremely popular these days? Make sure he understands not to go around pointing them at cops, and knows gun safety, buy him the neon nerf guns that don't resemble a real firearm at all. Make sure he knows the difference, and knows how to properly handle them all.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I have a couple air soft guns,and a paintball gun, but have always treated tham as if they were real guns as they can be just as dangerous.

Reddevil, yeah, they can be dangerous, but does that mean that you never go to a local field and engage in activities against other players with them? Not trying to flame you or anything, but why would you have them if not to engage in the sports they are used for?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I'm with buckeye. I had a massive arsenal of toy guys (I think some might still be in a box back in VA.. haha). I knew that those were okay to play with but the .22 in my Dad's closet was something I shouldn't touch unless he said it was okay.

That being said, I think QK has the right idea. haha
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Assistant Administrator
    Proper education of kids, from an early age, should instill gun safety as a matter of course. If that is done then ''play'' with toys should still have those rules in mind but be potentially safe.

I personally cringe these days when I see even a ''toy'' gun pointed at playmates but ......... altho this would infringe rule #2 in principle, I rest easier if I know the kids are aware of the rules as a set - such that were they careless or crazy enough to pick up the real deal, they would have the means to check for real and safe, even tho for me, a gun is always loaded.

The real danger kids must be cognisant of today, is time and place for play. At home, out in the yard OK but - LE cannot out in public be blaimed for regarding a genuine looking fake even in a kid's hands as being real and responding accordingly - with sometimes tragic consequences.

I would impress on any kid caught up in a situation where they have a toy but are challenged by LE - to put the danged thing down asap - and no attempts to try the ''but it's only a toy''.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I had cap guns and such while growing up, and knew the difference, even after moving onto pellet guns and BB guns. The one time I was sent up to fetch something for my dad out of his closet when I was a kid, I saw an ominous black box on the top shelf with "Ruger" embossed on it. I didn't even know my father HAD a gun until then!

That said, I knew enough not to touch it then, and I believe with proper guidance and a firm ruleset, my children will behave the same way.

Yet, then again, I was probably one of the last generations to grow up being able to freely play "Cops and Robbers" in the neighborhood park without LEOs getting called due to overfearful sheeple who obviously never knew what it was like to be a kid growing up in smalltown USA.

Not to mention, you now have dumbasses taking airsoft guns into schools after hours to "play games," which both jeopardizes responsible real-steel gun ownership (how they make the connection between childish irresponsibility and poor parenting with the right to bear arms is beyond me) and the sport I enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaScout View Post
    My sons have play swords and squirt guns. No, play guns that are even remotely realistic.

I'm not concerned that they can't distinguish between fantasy and reality but what about the ccw mailman who sees my son with a gun and doesn't know it' fake?

Fake guns are dangerous.

WHAT?

"Fake guns" are NOT dangerous. They cannot be used to take a life.
    What IS dangerous is when people use fake guns in a pretense to have others believe they are real guns, or when people play with them in such a way and in such a circumstance that others can misconstrue what is going on, not realize it is play, and act on that basis.

So it is MISUSE OF FAKE GUNS that is dangerous.

I call you on the idea that you are employing the same sort of hysteria that antis use, categorically calling something that is not dangerous at all "dangerous" because of what SOME might DO with it. A fake gun can't harm anyone. A kid with a fake gun, who gets mistaken for a BG with a real gun, can get himself harmed. That's immensely different.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaScout View Post
    That's fine. I don't think a kid should have a problem having fun with a toy gun that's not colored black like its real counterpart. I had fun with squirt guns that were shaped like rocketships, and colored pink, after all. So did many of us.

"CCW mailman"? Do we really think that the postal service allows letter carriers to carry firearms?! I'm quite confident that they don't. (Postal inspectors, however, carry firearms, in much the same way as IRS and other treasury agents do.)

Fake guns are dangerous.

No.

I grew up with toy guns, but my father had several real guns in the house, he had one rule in addition to the 4 basic safety rules.

The day I picked up a real gun was the last time I ever played with a toy gun. If I ever played with a toy gun again it would be the last time my father would allow me to handle the real thing. And he made sure we understood the difference between toys and the real thing.

I stopped playing with toy guns at age 10 and never looked back.

I've never heard of that before, BlackJack, but I must say, that's an excellent way to handle the situation with kids growing up. Kudos to your dad!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links