Belly Band holster for the Big Belly man

This is a discussion on Belly Band holster for the Big Belly man within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This may be a stupid question, but is a belly band holster a good option for people with big bellies? Does any of our more ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Belly Band holster for the Big Belly man

This may be a stupid question, but is a belly band holster a good option for people with big bellies? Does any of our more portly members have an experience trying them and have brands they could recommend?

No experience but I'd be interested in what you find out as well.

I honestly haven't looked into them assuming that they would not have them in my size (54" waist). Furthermore, I didn't think it would conceal well for me personally as I thought there would be too much printing. I try to buy loose shirts, but the fact of the matter is that I have numerous shirts that are just a bit tight.

My personal go to carry method is Remora. Works great with sweat pants or draw string shorts.

Sorry I couldn't provide more info, but I just never looked into them.

Good luck!

Semper Paratus et Armare
    Student of the Gun; a beginner once, a student for life.

At first thought it seems like a really bad idea for overweight, but being overweight also means my back will hurt from time to time. The idea of the belly holster for big people came from the fact that I have had to wear similar looking devices as a back brace for a bad back. Obviously different things for different uses, but similar enough to make me wonder

VIP Member
    I don't know jow well it works but Crossbreed makes one branded with Pincus that fits upto a 52 waiste. I vould see it working but onlybif worn where a traditional holster is worn and not high on the belly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk 2
    Aceoky likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

VIP Member
    I know there has been a lot of changes in them over the years. I bought one to try almost 20 years ago. At the time I was 6' about 200 pounds with a 36" waist. The problem I had, was it kept trying to roll down on me.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I have the "belly" problem and use a $10 Blackhawk IWB soft nylon holster. I put it at 3 o'clock and the only time I think about it is when the clip sometimes catches on the seatbelt getting into my car. It's very comfortable for me.

I don't have a "huge" belly, but I think the belly band will work for all sizes. I carry my Glock 30 every day in a belly band from The Original Belly Band Made in USA and they offer it in sizes from x-small to xxx-large (52 to 60 inch). I've found that a good belt adds extra help to keep the gun secure. I position the belt just under the grip of the gun and I wear the gun at around 4 to 5 o'clock.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    I would suggest that if you have belly issues, that you not try to use waist carry solutions. Really big belly guys might even have reach issues, so that carrying in the opposite armpit is a problem. But if you can, maybe consider getting the firearm off your waist, and carry in pocket, or underarm/shoulder holster style.

^^^^^^^^ +1 Take a look at this Pistol Wear holster Trump Card Concealment Holster The versatile cross draw Concealed Carry Holster for business casual or professional dress attire. Designed for comfortable under arm carry, inside the waistband carry, or can be worn outside the waistband. The Trump Ca that can be worn in a chest carry configuration. It can also be worn around the waist (it has its own support system with Velcro closure) and may give you a couple of options in one item. take a look.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

I tried it many years ago when I had to go undercover. I had too much belly. I could never get it to wear comfortably and It always moved up or down. I had my wife make it bigger, with more velcro, even put velcro on the holster & a tee shirt. It never worked for me. Deep undercover I boot carried. The rest of the time I used a SOB (small of the back) holster. Right hand draw, butt facing out not in. 45 years later I'm still not what you would call petit. I usually use a remora at 5:00 for my G36/Colt New Agent or pocket carry an LC9.
    Cherokee Slim
    NRA, SASS #72605, ROII, WBRO, Ocoee Rangers, Tennessee Mountain Maurauders. Semper Fi

VIP Member
    I completely disagree with the advice to carry somewhere other than your waiste/hips if you have a belly. In reality the "love handles" can ride over the grip of the gun allowing for BETTER concealment than smaller individuals enjoy. Moving the gun to less traditional locations requires intensive practice as you relearn draw strokes and reloads. It often requires an adjustment to wardrobe due to larger guys not having the extra room in shirts needed to hide guns on the upper body. I am all for that answer to deep concealment issues, but not as an every day location for most people. (I have gotten into why pocket carry is less than ideal many times in the past. People on this forum don't tend to like to admit that in many scenarios the problem starts from close quarters- but it is a fact. When a bad guy has gone hands on it can be next to impossible to access anything in a pocket. Pocket carry is great for a second gun, less than perfect for an only gun.)
    Aceoky likes this.
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I would not want to go about all day long with my sidearm chewing into my side saddles. For me, the occasional use of a belly band transforms it into a "chest band" with the firearm in the 10 o'clock position forward of the armpit and just south of the manmary. It conceals well there, is easily accessed, doesn't slide down, but limits the usefulness of the breast pocket and does tend to constrict breathing. Actually using it in the normal area would quickly prove unworkable as it would slide down and become tangled in my pants' crotch. Wearing it on the most pronounced portion of the belly would be quite a spectacle, with the firearm pushed outward against the covering garment for all to see.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    I completely disagree with the advice to carry somewhere other than your waiste/hips if you have a belly. In reality the "love handles" can ride over the grip of the gun allowing for BETTER concealment than smaller individuals enjoy.
    But what about when you reach for your weapon and that "extra concealment" has done too good of a job and you come up with a handful of fat and not the handle of the gun? What then?
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Back in my larger days I never once had that happen. The draw was a sure then as it is now that I'm significantly smaller (and still shrinking). I suppose if you're so large that the fat rolls over the gun there could be an issue. If it is merely poking over the gun it helps to hide things. That's how I used to get away with concealing a Sig 226 in cargo shorts and a tank top.
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links