Are Guns the Problem? by Walter Williams

This is a discussion on Are Guns the Problem? by Walter Williams within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Walter Williams really gets it when it comes to gun violence and what the real causes are. Kind of hard to dispute what he has ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Are Guns the Problem? by Walter Williams

Walter Williams really gets it when it comes to gun violence and what the real causes are. Kind of hard to dispute what he has to say.

Are Guns the Problem? by Walter E. Williams on Creators.com - A Syndicate Of Talent

Those of us who grew up like the author described, (around guns, in NRA shooting programs, etc), wonder the very same things. Im convinced that it has something to do with the drugs being prescribed to these teens.

Right after the columbine shooting, they had some woman psychologist on CNN. They asked her what she thought about the two shooters. She said "I hate to admit it, but my first thoughts were 'I wonder what meds they were on'."

That was the first and only time I ever saw, or heard from that psychologist, lol.

The difference between today and yesterday is that yesterday violence was a tool resorted to to correct a bad situation that was thrust upon us. Today many see violence as a virtue if you can meet out violence you have worth if you do not you deserve to be prey.

VIP Member
    As usual, Dr. Williams is spot on....

Good thing he has tenure at George Mason U.....
    Aceoky and Hoganbeg like this.

Mr. Williams is usually pretty good for a little unvarnished truth.
    Hoganbeg and Aceoky like this.
    "Freedom and discipline have come to be regarded as mutually exclusive, when in fact freedom is not at all the opposite, but the final reward of discipline" - Elisabeth Elliot

"While they are saying, “Peace and safety!” then destruction will come upon them suddenly" 1Thess 5:3

For your further consideration Articles: Murder by Numbers

He is spot on. I am not sure if he omitted it on purpose or not, but economic factors also play a big role..
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Now don't get all caught up on this article. Common sense approaches have no place in todays society.

Just listen to what the folks on TV and the politicians are telling you, after all they are the ones in the position to tell you what you need to do.

Glock2201, Secret Spuk and Aceoky like this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Now don't get all caught up on this article. Common sense approaches have no place in todays society.

Just listen to what the folks on TV and the politicians are telling you, after all they are the ones in the position to tell you what you need to do.

Agreed.

The blind still won't see and the deaf still won't hear.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post

You re right it is not a good idea to let facts get in the way of decision making...

I read that article on the Patriot Post this morning. Dr. Williams hit another one out of the park.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Never confuse illegal with immoral. Beware of those who do.

Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    The difference between today and yesterday is that yesterday violence was a tool resorted to to correct a bad situation that was thrust upon us. Today many see violence as a virtue if you can meet out violence you have worth if you do not you deserve to be prey.
    About 1000% correct I think. How can we hope to solve violence through any legislative action when we have entire subcultures that will reject, humiliate, emasculate, and ostracize young men that aren't willing to go beat and/or murder random people to prove their "worth"; yet will reward with money, popularity, sexual attraction from the opposite sex, camaraderie, and "respect" for those that do.

Given that, I'm pretty sure people subject to such a subculture would be just as violent if the most deadly weapon in their arsenal were a paperclip. They'd just use big groups and hold the person down while they poked them to death with it.

Seriously think about a person subject to that culture around them. To not be willing to go murder people for no reason would lead to a horrible and lonely life without any acceptance by peers, members of the opposite sex, or financial success whatsoever (true or not, the belief that such conditions will be the result of such decisions would have the same effect). At worst, even if they get caught they'll be "respected" murderers in prison, and accepted into groups within that prison, finally a part of something. Even that would be better than the alternative of not being willing to be violent and being completely rejected by your entire culture. How could we possibly hope to stop violence while we allow such cultural conditions to persist? I'm all for accepting cultural differences, but there are extremes that need to be stamped out in order to avoid the self destruction of entire societies. This falls well into that category.
    blitzburgh, Poorly and Aceoky like this.

Yup.

Some thoughts ...

Lack of moral values.
    Lack of a compass.
    Lack of cultural norms.
    Lack of education.
    Failure to take responsibility for one's own life, actions, choices.
    Poor parenting/teaching/learning, blowing some of the above elements during the learning years.
    The blame game (a moral failing, a responsibility failing).
    Lack of any significant mental health treatment program in the USA.
    Lack of any correction in the Corrections system of retribution we call imprisonment.

Access to improved means of travel, improved means of delivering pain/punishment on innocents, improved means to "fence" ones "winnings" from crimes ... all of these can lead to easing the problem of being a criminal. But unless you're prepared to impact everyone's access to these things (vehicles, weapons, an open/free market), then you're not going to erase criminality by focusing on those aspects. They're merely enablers to enhance a criminal's impact; they aren't hardly the problem, not by any stretch.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    He is spot on. I am not sure if he omitted it on purpose or not, but economic factors also play a big role..
    I'll agree he makes a lot of good points, but I wonder about your argument about economic factors. During the 30's the country was in the great depression and the middle class in the 50's had a lower standard of living than they do today. The really poor people in the 40's and 50's were the southern sharecroppers, and they definitely had guns and used them to put food on the table. The poor and middle class youth of the 60's and 70's lived almost as homeless people today do yet they were all about peace and non-violence.

I think the biggest difference in the way those youths were raised and the youth of today is the number of single parent homes, lack of stable family support, and lack of responsibility for the youths moral upbringing by the parents.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    Right after the columbine shooting, they had some woman psychologist on CNN. They asked her what she thought about the two shooters. She said "I hate to admit it, but my first thoughts were 'I wonder what meds they were on'."
    Or were supposed to be on!
    Aceoky likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links