Traveling to the east coast.......through Illinois

This is a discussion on Traveling to the east coast.......through Illinois within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Handgun law was updated last month in the Illinois section. Wondering how you guys have interpreted the changes. I have a MO resident CCW. Obviously ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Traveling to the east coast.......through Illinois

Traveling to the east coast.......through Illinois

Handgun law was updated last month in the Illinois section. Wondering how you guys have interpreted the changes. I have a MO resident CCW. Obviously Illinois does not accept it and not taking my firearm is just not an option. Due to how far I am driving, I cannot afford to go down through Tennessee. How do I need to store my firearm for the 200 miles inside the defenseless zone? Does a locked glove box count as a locked case? Unless I have to pee, I will be making NO stops in Illinois, does this effect anything?

2. Remove Ads

Would also like to add something else. When did Virginia not longer honor MO permits? This is just what I found out on Handgun law.

VIP Member
    A glove box or console is not going to work. The gun needs to be in the trunk. If you don't have a trunk is has to be in a locked case separate from the ammunition and not accessible to any occupant of the vehicle. It should be noted that some places have decided the federal law is an affirmative defense and will arrest you anyway and let you use the federal provision as a defense in court.

So lock the thing up in a St. Louis suburb, drive legally and carefully through St. Louis and IL, and stop at the gas station just inside the Indiana border to dig the gun out of the case. (Not that I've done this a few times myself... I say a St. Louis suburb because I wouldn't get out of my vehicle and lock my gun up in most places I've seen close to the interstate in St. Louis.)
    ANGLICO likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Go around. Run south a tad from St Louis cut thru Ky and on east. Illinois is a no travel through state no matter where I am going. And I darn sure aint going anyplace in Ill.
    Aceoky likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Lock it in a locked case in your trunk away from ammo, and don't say a word to the police beyond "Good day". They will have no probable cause to search, and if they do decide to search and obtain "probable cause" somehow, atleast you're following federal law.
    Aceoky likes this.

Didn't Illinois recently change to allow non-resident permit holders to conceal carry in their car driving through the state, as long as it doesn't leave the car, and is locked in the car if you exit the car?
    Aceoky likes this.

VIP Member
    Thats the first I have heard of this "change". Unless I see it in writing from the state of Illinois I wouldn't risk it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk 2
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

That was changed when the new law was enacted. I just do not know if it is in effect yet, but a valid permit holder from another state can, or at least will, be allowed to travel through the state armed. If you stop or get out of your vehicle then your gun must be unloaded and encased. And yes, a glovebox is an accepted manner of encasing, as is a center console that closes. The mags can be with the gun, just cannot be loaded if in the weapon.

look up peacable journey in the new ill ccw laws, i believe you can carry as long as you are passing through, if you stop in the state you must disarm.

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPony View Post
    That was changed when the new law was enacted. I just do not know if it is in effect yet, but a valid permit holder from another state can, or at least will, be allowed to travel through the state armed. If you stop or get out of your vehicle then your gun must be unloaded and encased. And yes, a glovebox is an accepted manner of encasing, as is a center console that closes. The mags can be with the gun, just cannot be loaded if in the weapon.
    This sounds way to good to be true. Does not sound like Illinois at all.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Yep, everyone in Springfield and Chicago wet their pants when the new law took effect.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

From the new Law:

Section 40
    (e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her
    vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
    (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
    (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence; and
    (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act. If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle
    Unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the
    vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.
    technomonster likes this.

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikemgb View Post
    From the new Law:

Section 40
    (e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her
    vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
    (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
    (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence; and
    (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act. If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle
    Unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the
    vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.
    This is correct. Although not legally binding, it is also on the State Police's website:

Are out-of-state Concealed Carry permit holders granted reciprocity in Illinois?

No. Out-of-state residents who want to carry a concealed firearm on their person must obtain an Illinois Concealed Carry License to lawfully carry a concealed firearm in Illinois. In order for out-of-state residents to be eligible for an Illinois license, their state’s concealed carry license laws must be substantially similar to those of Illinois. The Illinois State Police will establish rules to identify the elements necessary to meet the substantially similar requirement.

Out of state residents are granted a limited exception to lawfully carry a concealed firearm within a vehicle if they are eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of their state or territory of residence and are not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law. This rule became effective immediately.

If the non-resident leaves his/her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of the Firearm Concealed Carry Act.
    Illinois State Police | Concealed Carry FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by CCinaG26 View Post
    Handgun law was updated last month in the Illinois section. Wondering how you guys have interpreted the changes. I have a MO resident CCW. Obviously Illinois does not accept it and not taking my firearm is just not an option. Due to how far I am driving, I cannot afford to go down through Tennessee. How do I need to store my firearm for the 200 miles inside the defenseless zone? Does a locked glove box count as a locked case? Unless I have to pee, I will be making NO stops in Illinois, does this effect anything?
    Being in Missouri, you'll be traveling through Downstate Illinois and that is an entirely different world than Crook County. Use common-sense during your trip through Illinois and you'll be fine.
    DJC7 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I'm a Federal Police Officer (Pro 2nd Amendment) and can legally carry in any state BUT - I'd still rather NOT ever go too or through Illinois, New York City or a few other locations just because of their antigun crap in general.
    Aceoky likes this.
    For God, Family and Country!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links