open carry in Virginia

This is a discussion on open carry in Virginia within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Called Virginia state police today. The Officer I spoke to confirmed that Virginia does not accept my MO resident CCW, however, the officer stated, "you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: open carry in Virginia

open carry in Virginia

Called Virginia state police today. The Officer I spoke to confirmed that Virginia does not accept my MO resident CCW, however, the officer stated, "you may absolutely open-carry." I will be traveling there in a week. Any place I should avoid or places that are not open carry friendly? any strange rules I need to watch out for? I will be in Blacksburg. This will be my first time open carrying
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Pretty much the normal prohibitions; schools (the entire VaTec campus), gov't buildings, etc.. While legal in Va., it is not exactly common practice so be prepared to get some looks and maybe a conversation with Officer Friendly.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I would double check on that. Usa carry and legal heat says VA recognizes MO and I was able to carry in MO on my vacation this summer with my VA permit.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Delvermedic View Post
    I would double check on that. Usa carry and legal heat says VA recognizes MO and I was able to carry in MO on my vacation this summer with my VA permit.
    MO recognizes VA permits, VA does not recognize MO.
    Aceoky, welder516 and gatorbait51 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    VA is OC friendly. I carry all over the state and have never had a problem. Just be aware, if asked to leave you must, otherwise it is a simple trespassing charge. While not a problem in VA, it could cause problems for you back home.

VCU/MCV are the only college that is specifically restricted by law. Others have changed rules to make them prohibited. Need to check to see which ones are. Link is to select state laws on firearms.

Virginia State Police - Selected State Laws Pertaining to Firearms
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

This is from the VSP website under FAQ.

May I “open carry” a firearm in Virginia?
    A firearm may be carried openly in Virginia except where prohibited by statute. Please refer to Sections 18.2-279 to 18.2-311.2. The Code of Virginia may be searched at LIS > Code of Virginia.
    gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

DBS
    I would avoid all colleges and universities. Most of them have anti-gun policies, and some of these may have force of law. From the VA section of Handgunlaw.us Colleges and Universities are changing their rules to Regulations which give them the force of law. The AG Opinion even states this. Use extreme caution before carrying onto any College or University Property. Make sure you know what their Regulations are concerning firearms. Use Caution!

Other than that, it's just the usual--schools, religious services at churches, the post office, federal buildings, etc. VA is pretty OC friendly and although not many people do it, it is not much of an issue when they do. I think most people here just assume OC'ers are plainclothes cops.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Here is the contact info for official firearm Laws in VA:
    (all other sources are secondary and not binding)

COMMONWEALTH of VIRGINIA
    Kenneth T. Cuccinelli, II
    Attorney General

Office of the Attorney General
    900 East Main Street
    Richmond, Virginia 23219
    804-786-2071
    FAX: 804-786-1991

I always like to have an email or FAX from a State's AG when visiting armed in their state. Too many LEOs are clueless.
    Also, keep in mind the various restrictions in the State visited, such as Mag capacities, City Laws that differ from State Laws, etc. Parks, Churches, Restaurants that serve alcohol, Municipal Property, etc., etc.
    OC can be a real pain.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

You may also leave a loaded firearm in a glove box or console without a CCW permit. I wouldn't do it but it's legal.

Consult Handgunlaw.us for more info. You can also go the the VA forum on OCDO and get great help there as well.

Virginia
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I lived in Pulaski for 14 years (just down the road) and spent a good bit of time in Blacksburg and Christiansburg both. I OC'd a good bit there and didn't have any problems. An occasional "why do you carry a gun" to which I replied " I'm getting too old to carry a police officer." Usually a chuckle and on my way. I was never asked to leave anywhere.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    VA is very OC friendly, I do it there all the time and not just the rural areas....

There is state preemption of local laws. Unless you are in one of the state prohibited areas listed above a specific town cannot prohibit you from OC'ing or limit your magazine capacity.

The other benefit of OC'ing in VA is that you can have a drink with your dinner if you are so inclined. Not so if CC'ing.

Don't fret it, use your head and have a great trip!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I was in Walmart in Gordonsville VA yesterday and spotted my first OC. I was mildly surprised that it put a grin on my face instead of screaming "MWAG"! After awhile I noticed no sirens, nobody fainting from fright, no shooting so I guess central VA is OC friendly.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Carpe Diem

VIP Member
    I now have carried a couple of times in VA with good results , i must say i'm still getting my feet wet on OC and like it better
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

I've still never OC'ed in public. I'm tempted to but I guess I just feel like if I can legally hide my gun when carrying then why would I want to show it off? I do, however, always enjoy seeing someone open carry.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    I always think of it as one of them things you use it or lose it kinda deals .
    Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links