New holster advice

This is a discussion on New holster advice within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, just ordered an alien gear holster for my Glock 23. This is my first holster of this style with two clips. It really ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Stoveman

Thread: New holster advice

New holster advice

Hey guys, just ordered an alien gear holster for my Glock 23. This is my first holster of this style with two clips. It really felt kinda awkward wearing and like it didn't conceal as well as my galco holster. In what position do you all carry your holsters that are similar to this one? (supertuk, etc)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk now Free
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Try 3:30 - 4:30 ish....

It's a learned thing.
    Snotrocket likes this.

my glock 23 gets carried at about 3:30. New holsters will need to be broke in and a good tight belt helps keep it close.

Quote Originally Posted by bschwan View Post
    my glock 23 gets carried at about 3:30. New holsters will need to be broke in and a good tight belt helps keep it close.
    Same for my Crossbreed Super Tuck. The pistol sits just behind my hipbone. Good belt is important and makes a big difference! I use an Ares Ranger, but there are plenty of good choices.

You now have something very large, very powerful and very foreign in your pants. It'll take a little time to get used to it and you'll at times adjust it a little to see how it feels in certain positions.

Sounds like what my daddy told me when I was about 13 years old...
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iguanadon View Post
    You now have something very large, very powerful and very foreign in your pants. It'll take a little time to get used to it and you'll at times adjust it a little to see how it feels in certain positions.

Sounds like what my daddy told me when I was about 13 years old...
    Bragging?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I have an alien gear too, for my xd sc 9mm. The first 3 days it was a little uncomfortable, but I kept wearing it, and trying slightly different positioning, and now I don't even notice it except for a slight pressure. About 4-4:30 is where I have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post
    Try 3:30 - 4:30 ish....

It's a learned thing.
    ^ Yup. One of the reasons some of us have a "drawer full" of holsters. Trial-and-error is one of the ludicrous little joys of sidearms.

Where the best concealing spot will be depends heavily on your body shape at various spots, the cut of your clothing, IMO the quality of your belt and holster. Not all belts hold it close enough. Not all holsters hold it close enough. And body shapes and clothing cuts can get in the way of close fitment.

Am presuming it's low-riding enough for you, with enough cant to allow for reasonable concealment at that spot. If not, rethink the holster.

For me, I tend to get the best concealment somewhere between 3:30-4:30 or so, presuming the holster snugly tucks in the butt-end of the gun normally. Not all holsters do. Have got some "handles," myself, so it's a bit tougher than for some. Severe forward cant seems to help, as well. As does thicker material in a shirt with a decent cut, with a bit better drape than an otherwise slim-cut style. (Think "golf" shirts, by comparison, ones that allow for that extra rotation/space around the waist, along with longer length.) With the right material weight, texture and color pattern, a marginally-concealing gun can actually do fairly well.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I carried a CTAC holster at about 2or 2:30, but I like appendix carry. Hard to do if you have more than a little pudge in front. My father carries at 3:00 for that reason. If you want a more comfortable, single clip, IWB, tuckable, hybrid, adjustable cant holster, I'd recommend the N8^2 (Nate squared). They are a smaller company, but its a great holster. Its what I replaced my CTAC with.

Distinguished Member Array BlackStallion29's Avatar
    I carry a full size .40 appendix style with a Theis single clip holster. With colder weather coming on, I'm considering trying something different. I'm thinking OWB around the 4 o'clock position.
    "Everybody gets knocked down in life. How you choose to get back up is up to you!"
    *NRA* *BFA*
    *GOA* *SAF*
    *NAGR*

Distinguished Member
    Well I use the same type of holster behind my hip but not very comfortable with a Glock 19 in it despite very good gun belts. Switched to lighter weight guns and now it is much easier to carry. Just move the holster around until the grip of the gun is flat against your back. I can conceal a Glock 19 and 1911 that way. However, the problem may turn out to be that you are like most people who carry a gun and find a larger and heavier gun uncomfortable to carry for long periods of time. I mostly pocket carry these days as do most guys I know who started out with larger guns.

I think what happens is that after the novelty of wearing a gun wears off and you go many years never needing a gun, you start to think more about comfort than carrying something uncomfortable. These days there are a lot of choices in single stack lightweight guns that are under 20 ounces and very comfortable to carry on belt or in pocket. Just about everyone I taught to shoot started off with a gun similar to yours and within months went to either an LCP or snub nose in their pocket. However there are still some old geezers like me that carry Glocks or 1911's and have no problem with it. It all depends on your body shape and willingness to carry the gun of your choice.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

It'll need time to break in. I carry a 19 in a hybrid style holster at 7:30 (left handed) and it took about 2 weeks for the leather and kydex to mold and soften up. Belt and waist size makes a big difference. I'm a 32" and my 34" cargo pants fit great with the holster while my 36" pants don't.

Links