Georgia pistol..

Georgia pistol..

This is a discussion on Georgia pistol.. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So a Friend of mine... Bought a pistol from a friend, private deal. He's 19, lives in georgia. Is this legal/what would be his legal ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Georgia pistol..

Georgia pistol..

So a Friend of mine... Bought a pistol from a friend, private deal. He's 19, lives in georgia. Is this legal/what would be his legal limits in reference to carrying this pistol concealed/open/etc? Could he get a carry permit?

I've read too many different things, hoping someone can give a definitive answer to clear things up. Thanks

VIP Member
    Georgia has very few laws concerning selling firearms (2 in fact). They rely on federal laws for the most part. It is illegal to sell a firearm to a minor- (person under 18) or for a minor to be in possession of a handgun for other than specific exceptions.

You have to be at least 21 to get a permit to carry in GA. You can't carry without a permit. So his options for carry are to wait a couple of years.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Aright, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    Georgia has very few laws concerning selling firearms (2 in fact). They rely on federal laws for the most part. It is illegal to sell a firearm to a minor- (person under 18) or for a minor to be in possession of a handgun for other than specific exceptions.

You have to be at least 21 to get a permit to carry in GA. You can't carry without a permit. So his options for carry are to wait a couple of years.

I believe in Georgia someone between age of 18-21 can have a handgun in his home or in his car....he cannot carry concealed and can't get CCW until 21.
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TOPFLiTE94 View Post
    So a Friend of mine... Bought a pistol from a friend, private deal. He's 19, lives in georgia. Is this legal/what would be his legal limits in reference to carrying this pistol concealed/open/etc? Could he get a carry permit?

I've read too many different things, hoping someone can give a definitive answer to clear things up. Thanks

First of all, welcome to the forum.

As to your question, don't take information you receive on line as factual. It may be and then again it may not be. To get the correct answer, have your friend contact a GA lawyer. They have access to all the information needed to determine the legality of the purchase.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Go to GeorgiaPacking.org to get all the info you need. Also GeorgiaCarry.org. Both good sites.
    tmoore912 and maniacmechanic like this.

I'm in the same boat,well if it's the same as S.C.I have a 45cal. i can put in car or at home.Out of luck on the CCP for a couple of more years.I'm 19 .

Stay clean and out of trouble so you can get that CCW permit when you turn 21.
    blitzburgh likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    If you sell a weapon to someone just make sure you record the sale. Generate a receipt with the purchasers name and signature, type of gun (make and model), price, serial number and date of sale.

I am not sure if this is required by law in Georgia as it relates to a transaction between private parties. This is for your own protection in the event that weapon is used is some illegal manner sometime in the future.

Personally I would never sell a weapon to someone I did not know very well. At the very least I would make sure they had a valid carry license that requires a complete background check.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

That kind of reminds me of when I picked up my Makarov years ago. I answered an ad and went to the guys house. He had me sit at the kitchen table and "interviewed" me for an hour before he would sell me the pistol. I didn't mind at all and we had a great chat. By the end, he had sold thegun and made a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by KGiles View Post
    Go to GeorgiaPacking.org to get all the info you need. Also GeorgiaCarry.org. Both good sites.
    This /\

Also, if he happens to be in the military then he has an exemption to the carry laws even though he is under 21 and can carry on his military ID. If he is not in the military, he can carry in his car, place of business and on his private property.

OCGA 16-11-130 on GeorgiaPacking.org

Weapons Related Georgia Code
    Found In LexisNexis by searching for "16-11-130" or in the TOC under:
    Title 16 - CRIMES AND OFFENSES
    Chapter 11 - OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER AND SAFETY
    Article 4 - DANGEROUS INSTRUMENTALITIES AND PRACTICES
    Part 3 - CARRYING AND POSSESSION OF FIREARMS
    The code sections are all Copyright 2012 by The State of Georgia

O.C.G.A. 16-11-130
    Exemptions from Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-127.2

(a) Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-127.2 shall not apply to or affect any of the following persons if such persons are employed in the offices listed below or when authorized by federal or state law, regulations, or order:

(1) Peace officers, as such term is defined in paragraph (11) of Code Section 16-1-3, and retired peace officers so long as they remain certified whether employed by the state or a political subdivision of the state or another state or a political subdivision of another state but only if such other state provides a similar privilege for the peace officers of this state;

(2) Wardens, superintendents, and keepers of correctional institutions, jails, or other institutions for the detention of persons accused or convicted of an offense;

(3) Persons in the military service of the state or of the United States;........................................... ........
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Code about carrying in your vehicle, private property and place of business.

O.C.G.A. 16-11-126
    Having or carrying handguns, long guns, or other weapons; license requirement; exceptions for homes, motor vehicles, and other locations and conditions; penalties for violations

(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.

(b) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a long gun without a valid weapons carry license, provided that if the long gun is loaded, it shall only be carried in an open and fully exposed manner.

(c) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry any handgun provided that it is enclosed in a case and unloaded.

(d) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun who is eligible for a weapons carry license may transport a handgun or long gun in any private passenger motor vehicle; provided, however, that private property owners or persons in legal control of property through a lease, rental agreement, licensing agreement, contract, or any other agreement to control access to such property shall have the right to forbid possession of a weapon or long gun on their property, except as provided in Code Section 16-11-135.

(e) Any person licensed to carry a handgun or weapon in any other state whose laws recognize and give effect to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a weapon in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such licensee shall carry the weapon in compliance with the laws of this state.

(f) Any person with a valid hunting or fishing license on his or her person, or any person not required by law to have a hunting or fishing license, who is engaged in legal hunting, fishing, or sport shooting when the person has the permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted may have or carry on his or her person a handgun or long gun without a valid weapons carry license while hunting, fishing, or engaging in sport shooting.

(g) Notwithstanding Code Sections 12-3-10, 27-3-1.1, 27-3-6, and 16-12-122 through 16-12-127, any person with a valid weapons carry license may carry a weapon in all parks, historic sites, or recreational areas, as such term is defined in Code Section 12-3-10, including all publicly owned buildings located in such parks, historic sites, and recreational areas, in wildlife management areas, and on public transportation; provided, however, that a person shall not carry a handgun into a place where it is prohibited by federal law.

(h) (1) No person shall carry a weapon without a valid weapons carry license unless he or she meets one of the exceptions to having such license as provided in subsections (a) through (g) of this Code section.

(2) A person commits the offense of carrying a weapon without a license when he or she violates the provisions of paragraph (1) of this subsection.

(i) Upon conviction of the offense of carrying a weapon without a valid weapons carry license, a person shall be punished as follows:

(1) For the first offense, he or she shall be guilty of a misdemeanor; and

(2) For the second offense within five years, as measured from the dates of previous arrests for which convictions were obtained to the date of the current arrest for which a conviction is obtained, and for any subsequent offense, he or she shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be imprisoned for not less than two years and not more than five years.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

Georgiapacking.org It has a place that covers just such a topic.

Quote Originally Posted by TOPFLiTE94 View Post

Tell him to call his Pistol Permit Office. BUT, if it's illegal in his area to have purchased a gun with no permit: tell him NOT TO CALL ANY AUTHORITY BUT GET A LAWYER VERY FAST so he can get legal help getting out of this self-created box with with no Charges. I just can't believe though that in a Permit-Required area you'd just buy a gun when you had no permit. So, I take it's legal (but you never know; ask him)

Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    BUT, if it's illegal in his area to have purchased a gun with no permit:
    It's not.
    dukalmighty and Aceoky like this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links