Light on CCW pistol ? Thoughts

This is a discussion on Light on CCW pistol ? Thoughts within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Been thinking about adding a Surefire X300 (I have them on other pistols, just not carry) to my daily carry (Glock 19). Thoughts?...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Light on CCW pistol ? Thoughts

Light on CCW pistol ? Thoughts

Been thinking about adding a Surefire X300 (I have them on other pistols, just not carry) to my daily carry (Glock 19).

Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

No experience with that light in particular, but I have a light on my CC.

I work night shift and keep the same schedule on my days off. So, when I'm out and about on my time off, its almost always dark, especially in the fall and winter months. I really like having a light on my carry weapon. I carry a G17 with a tlr-3 attached. I like having the weapon mounted light so I have the option to have a free hand should the need arise, or use that hand for weapon stability.

I think that if you can find a holster which will work with your carry style and is light capable, I say go for it.

I do have an edc light as well, in case I need a back up.

I'm sure those more experienced will chime in as well.

I'm personally not a fan of weapon mounted lights for various reasons among them I don't like being an easy target as I'd be directly behind the light when aiming also I'm not fond of pointing a loaded weapon at "everything" without a real need- when I could hold a hand held off to the side and still do what I need to do YMMV

if you do, be sure to shoot your gun several times with the light mounted on the gun to make certain the light won't affect your Glock's functioning. plastic-frame guns seem to have more problems with gun-mounted lights than steel or alloy frame guns, probably because the polymer can flex more, and this might affect reliability.

the Surefire X300 has an excellent reputation. you will just have to see if a weapon-mounted light works for you. i have an older Surefire weapon-mounted light, but i generally carry a separate hand-held Surefire for illumination.

I am looking at that same light for my Glock19 - which I just today had Meprolight night sights installed on.

VIP Member
    +1 on the no light.

I don't want to give a BG something more to aim at.

At home my HD gun also doesn't have a light. If I wake up with someone in the Stove Palace the flashlight on the night stand is going to be on and pointed at the bedroom door while I am a good 10' away on the other side of the bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
    I'm personally not a fan of weapon mounted lights for various reasons among them I don't like being an easy target as I'd be directly behind the light when aiming also I'm not fond of pointing a loaded weapon at "everything" without a real need- when I could hold a hand held off to the side and still do what I need to do YMMV
    I hear many on this forum with that perspective and I just don't agree. First of all I carry a "primary" flashlight with me to use as a flashlight because it would be retarded to use my gun as a flashlight just because it has one attached. I certainly hope there is nobody out there that pulls out their gun with attached weapon light everytime they need a flashlight! Secondly, why not? Most of us who carry try to prepare for the worst possible situation and I think the pros of having one outweigh the cons and I know that when its dark out I feel much better having one attached. I carry a Streamlight TLR-1s on my S&W M&P and the most difficult obstacle is finding a holster... getting a custom one from companies like Raven or Bravo is probably your best bet.IMAG0339.jpg
    SIXTO, sparkykb and GSDSchutzhund like this.

I try to keep things simple so I don't train with a weapon mounted light and don't carry one. I have a light with me though at all times which i use quite often for just everyday tasks. I just can't justify carrying two flash lights with me. I have a small tactical light my keychain and I think it's about the perfect setup for most people. I usually have my keys in my hands when I'm in a parking lot, so it doesn't look mall ninja-ish. I also don't have any excuses to leave it at home. It is always with me so I have it when I wind up needing it. For example, getting roped into climbing around someone's attic to help fix something. :). So, I personally recommend finding a really small tac light for your keychain and seeing how much you use it first before getting a weapon mounted light.

However, we are all different. If you get some training with weapon mounted lights, I don't see any down side other than more stuff to carry.

I carry a Gen 4 Glock 17 with Surefire X300 daily all year round. Its extremely comfortable. Id never go back to using a tertiary light with a pistol. One fluid motion if you need to use it.

I can't use a light on my EDC (G27), but I often carry a separate 600 lumen tactical light with me. Even if I could mount a light on the G27 I don't think I would. Reason is I'd still want to carry a separate light (power outage in the theater, etc), and I wouldn't want the extra weight and bulk of 2 lights. HD is another story. I have a Streamlight on my G21SF, in addition to my Tac light, in the nightstand. My wife and I are the only ones in the house, so anything coming through the door will be something that doesn't belong there.

A weapons mounted light means pointing the muzzle at anything you want to illuminate so it's uses are limited for a CCW Weapon (puling a pistol to find your dropped keys is brandishing and aiming a pistol to ID someone is menacing). I'd rather keep the tools separate so I don't have to carry two lights.
    Aceoky likes this.

In LE, Troopers were not allowed to use lights on their issued sidearms, but had a 'AA Mag light' ready. The AA Mag Lite was a fight stopper with thumb over lens, better than my O.C. Spray. A hit to ribs or thigh with little Mag Lite stopped a bare-handed attack many times.
    Our duty SGs had a pressure switch mounted light.

Now that I'm retired, I keep a light on my nightstand .45 at home and on my recliner .45 as well. One of my 8 shot SGs has a light as well.
    For civilian* CC, I 'choose' not to use a weapon mounted light, since I was trained for 40 years that the average gunfight lasts 2-6 seconds with 12 feet being a long shot.
    Hindsight showed that to be very, very accurate. Except for 'drive-bys', I investigated hundreds of shootings in Detroit area, or involved in some way.

Most were low-priority drug-deals gone south.

* LEOs are civilian citizens, don't know how that term came to be accepted.
    Ghost1958 and Aceoky like this.

Nope. Carry a separate flashlight instead. If you need to light an area up just to look-see, you don't want to be pulling your gun out just to do that. Would count as brandishing.

Personally no lights on any of my firearms. If I were part of a team clearing a building with others covering my movements then me covering theirs then rifle mounted lights are ok. As a one man show? No I rather not.
    Aceoky likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    carry a light in my pocket
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links