.500 S&W Mag as a carry gun or home defense gun...

.500 S&W Mag as a carry gun or home defense gun...

This is a discussion on .500 S&W Mag as a carry gun or home defense gun... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Aaaand, if you happened to decide, for whatever reason, to choose a .500 mag for defense and you ended up shooting and killing someone -- ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .500 S&W Mag as a carry gun or home defense gun...

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar

Red face .500 S&W Mag as a carry gun or home defense gun...

Aaaand, if you happened to decide, for whatever reason, to choose a .500 mag for defense and you ended up shooting and killing someone -- albeit a person you can easily prove was trying to kill you (insert cut-and-dried scenario here)...
    what do you think would end up happening to you legally?

Would you be deemed "justified is justified," with no regard to the power of the gun you used? Would there be much chance that an anti-gun prosecutor would make a case against you for being "bloodthirsty" or "intending to kill" because of your choice of gun? Would you be successful in saying, "Hey, I wouldn't have been challenged if I'd used a 12 ga., so why because of a handgun that isn't even that powerful?"

Probably none of us wants to risk being a test case, but I wonder what would happen to a justified shoot if it was done with a .500 mag...

I don't believe the caliber would matter as much as the circumstances of the shooting. If it was justified than shame on the perp,and he got what he deserved. Of course any Lawyer can make your story stink. My answer would be "It's what I had on me at the time" BTW I own an 8 3/8" model 500 which is sitting on my desk as I type this reply. Naw it ain't loaded but the Combat Commander in the desk drawer is.
    Why do I carry a Gun? Because I can't carry a Cop

I don't know but I asked this same question to my CCW instructor that actually carries a 500 S&W in a smart carry for his EDC. He is well versed in all aspects of firearms, the gun culture in general and was a large part in getting shall issue in Missouri, he has written a book, Unintended Consequences (great book by the way 863 pages of hard to put down reading) and he simply said, I didn't want to have to use my weapon! I would agree with that too, however I will stick to the normal .40 - .45 calibers and call it good.

He repeats in class to carry the largest caliber handgun you can handle and use effectively.

It would be interesting to see where that would go from an anti liberal brain dead DA.

Ti
    Last edited by Ti Carry; December 5th, 2006 at 12:31 AM.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

The bigger problem would be what happens when it goes through the BG, wall and hits someone else

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Wait, you're saying that John Ross carries a .500 mag?!

(P.S. Yes, I read the book and liked it!)

Well in civil court the BG's family lawyer could accuse you of being a rambo, dirty harry type (attacking your character) and then claim you were using a handcannon. (which the 500 is a handhowitzer!)

And I agree with JungleJim: what happens to the bullet after it went through the BG like a chainsaw through butter? Homedefense could put your family and neighbors at risk (if you live in a neighborhood) and concealed carry in a public arena you couldn't say for sure what the bullet would hit or where it would go after it make half inch holes in the BG

"Sir, we understand why you shot him. Why, though, did you set him on fire?"

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    ... I wonder what would happen to a justified shoot if it was done with a .500 mag...
    Dead is dead. If lethal force is justified, it shouldn't matter where the BG is struck or what weapon is used. The purpose of lethal force is to cause the BG to stop, via disruption of the BG's nervous system, blood pressure, or mobility. Each of those is a serious disruption requiring some punch/force to achieve; it's a greater risk to the innocent (the attacked) to have too little firepower, assuming that control over the weapon can be maintained. It would be a fairly trivial matter to counter such an argument, if it were made. Indeed, it's made all the time, in terms of the justification, but not really the method/tool.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post
    I don't know but I asked this same question to my CCW instructor that actually carries a 500 S&W in a smart carry for his EDC.
    Is that a gun or .................... ?
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    WAY,WAY,WAY, overpenetration.
    Absolutely no quick follow up shot(double tap).
    IMO way too big for carry.
    Very expensive to train with.
    Brutal on the body to train with.
    Brutal on your fellow gun club members.
    Not the only CCW weapon available to choose from.

Other than those minor factors,the Smith "X" frames should be 'bout the perfect carry weapon. Especially for the more "summertime" activities.

I say.........."go fer it". --------

VIP Member

Agree with JungleJim

Quote Originally Posted by JungleJim View Post
    The bigger problem would be what happens when it goes through the BG, wall and hits someone else

If its a justified shooting then thats it, Its justified. I think what a lawyer will argue is negligence in your choice of weapon.

Well, this gang was chasing me and I ran down this narrow hallway. Soon as they was all lined up, one shot was all it took yer honer! Luckily there was a fire extinguisher near me afterwards.

Seriously though I'd be mighty concerned about the bullet carry through issues. I want to defend myself but I sure don't want that kind of downrange liability, worse yet the results of a missed shot with a .45 are sobering but with a .500?
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

My speculation is that anyone carrying this as a carry gun has it loaded with loaded-down handloads. This would provide a milder recoil, muzzle-blast, and for those worried about over-penetration - it would reduce that too.

I believe John Ross used to carry a .44 mag (or two!) - so no surprise he 'upgraded'. :)

Here's a pic of JR's 'snubby'... It's an absolute monster to fire! I don't know what ammo he regularly carries in it, but when he handed it to me, it was stoked with Hornady factory loads.

Great guy, btw... if you haven't read Unintended Consequences, you're really missing something!

Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Analogy - Arizona 10mm shooting case

There was a recent criminal case in Arizona in which a CCW holder named Harold Fish was convicted of murder in the shooting of a possibly unstable man who rushed at him in a threatening way:
    Harold Fish defensive shooting case

Fish was using a 10mm handgun, and the prosecution brought up the point that selection of such a "powerful" handgun indicated Fish had a desire to kill someone. This was not the only point made against Fish during the trial, but it may have influenced the jury somewhat against the defendant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links