Target size vs distance

Target size vs distance

This is a discussion on Target size vs distance within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have a size vs distance ratio for targets ?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Target size vs distance

Target size vs distance

Anyone have a size vs distance ratio for targets ?
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

Sponsor
    Keeping all your shots inside an 8-10" grouping at any distance. Doesn't matter the size of the threat unless it's less than the 8-10" to begin with.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

I have to agree with AzQkr on this. Unless you are looking for something more towards competition.....
    gatorbait51 and StormRhydr like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    For competition I believe it's about 50' to 1' for the One Ring. Of course, that doesn't hold at all for distance shooting.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

I have shoot precision rifle competition. I come from a marksman background.

That all being said, for SD/Crunch time, other skill sets come into play. Im convinced that the vast majority of people shoot at distances too great for SD.

We all get hung up on shooting as far as we can, as accurately as we can. Well, SD distance is apt to be measured in terms under 10 FEET. Not yards, FEET. So long as you can shoot, at a good pace, and maintain a fist sized group, you are good to go.

The very first time I took my wife out to shoot on the north 40, I used paper plates as targets. She did darn well, but comparing herself to me, felt like she didnt do well at all, and that my praise for her shooting was just to make her feel good.

I took a paper plate that was her target, put it over my chest, and asked her how she thought I would feel if I was the BG, and she had scored those hits. That did the trick, lol.

In other words, for SD, and shooting on the move, she did plenty good enough to get the job done. And when you get down to it, thats what its all about.

The part about target size, vs distance, well I strongly suggest getting cardboard shlilouette targets. Full sized ones. Do some 6-8' drills to warm up. You can shoot on the move, move back, to the side, whatever. Assuming that you have the land to practice this way. Thats for shooting handgun SD.

For rifle, NRA, for .22 shooting, used a quarter sized target at 50', iron sights. But I dont really think that that is what your question was about.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    I have shoot precision rifle competition. I come from a marksman background.

That all being said, for SD/Crunch time, other skill sets come into play. Im convinced that the vast majority of people shoot at distances too great for SD.

We all get hung up on shooting as far as we can, as accurately as we can. Well, SD distance is apt to be measured in terms under 10 FEET. Not yards, FEET. So long as you can shoot, at a good pace, and maintain a fist sized group, you are good to go.

The very first time I took my wife out to shoot on the north 40, I used paper plates as targets. She did darn well, but comparing herself to me, felt like she didnt do well at all, and that my praise for her shooting was just to make her feel good.

I took a paper plate that was her target, put it over my chest, and asked her how she thought I would feel if I was the BG, and she had scored those hits. That did the trick, lol.

In other words, for SD, and shooting on the move, she did plenty good enough to get the job done. And when you get down to it, thats what its all about.

The part about target size, vs distance, well I strongly suggest getting cardboard shlilouette targets. Full sized ones. Do some 6-8' drills to warm up. You can shoot on the move, move back, to the side, whatever. Assuming that you have the land to practice this way. Thats for shooting handgun SD.

For rifle, NRA, for .22 shooting, used a quarter sized target at 50', iron sights. But I dont really think that that is what your question was about.
    I agree with you storm on everything but the bold. IMO that is a trap that most fall into. Let me explain. In the worse case, someone may need to take a shot greater than 10 feet, I know you understand what I am saying That is one of the reasons I really do not like mouse guns.

While most SD encounters will happen within the 10 foot mark, there are some that might not. Personally, I do not like to limit myself in anyways, I know you do not either....Im just sayin bro....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by velo99 View Post
    Anyone have a size vs distance ratio for targets ?
    Ditto on AZQ's suggestion.

If the goal is striking an assailant, then it's the same ~8" (pie plate, or handspan) sized spot to deal with. Pretty much, that's the basic gauge I've used at whatever distance. If at ~3-5yds, I fully expect my shots to be within that spot. Same, at 10yds. Once it starts blowing outside that spot regularly, I know I'm at the max effective range (for accuracy).

YMMV.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I agree with you storm on everything but the bold. IMO that is a trap that most fall into. Let me explain. In the worse case, someone may need to take a shot greater than 10 feet, I know you understand what I am saying That is one of the reasons I really do not like mouse guns.

While most SD encounters will happen within the 10 foot mark, there are some that might not. Personally, I do not like to limit myself in anyways, I know you do not either....Im just sayin bro....
    I hear you, Harry, and you are right. For me though, I trained for precision, long distance, shooting, before coming to CC and SD shooting. The idea of shooting at a target 6' away, at first blush sounded nuts to me.

FOR ME, it was really important to break old training scars that I am convinced are great at keeping people from shooting each other at a shooting range, but are also apt to get you killed in a SD situation.

I certainly DO agree about mouse guns, though I have some. Heck, most all my close distance training and practice has been done with 9mms. They aint just for distance, anymore.
    gatorbait51 and Harryball like this.

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Just get a bunch of 4 inch paper pie plates and use them at 50 feet. Anyone here can shoot a 2 inch group at 50 feet, even with a BB gun. If you do not believe that, just ask. All you have to do is hit the paper plate and then paint the bullseye around the holes you put in it.

What I do is take targets of various sizes with me to the range or out in the pasture. The way I shoot that day will decide which targets I use. I have had days when I could not hit a life size target at 30 feet and had days I could hit a four inch target consistently in the black at 45 feet. Fortunately I have more good days than bad days.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

For a little more clarification. Shooting a 3" target at 10' is equivalent to a 12" target at 40'. Yes or no.
    Lot of the time I shoot a 3 1/2" target @ 10 -12 feet. 4 targets to the sheet. I also shoot a 3 1/2" "ding" target @ 40ish feet. I also shoot a plate sized target @ the same distance.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I can tell you that it's impossible FOR ME to shoot a slowly slithering copper head (2.5' snake) with a snub .38 only 2' from it's body while it's moving. It was also impossible for my Deddy to shoot that snake or the other ones (total of 3 snakes) with the .38.

This is where you need the correct "tool" for the job, a 12G pointed at the copper heads head did the trick with removing it from it's body.

Now I would tend to think that this would be the same in any SD situation. If it's a scrawny little fast moving BG, then break out the bigger guns. For an overweight slobbering BG that tries to wrap around me then my .38 would do just fine!
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

A shovel the best snake guillotine.
    gatorbait51 and Taurahe like this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by velo99 View Post
    A shovel the best snake guillotine.
    Yes, but not as fun!

Moving target, gave us something to do, lol.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Seriously, google Target vs distance and you will get several different sites and theorys. Pick the one you like best. They are all farily close to being right and much depends on what caliber and barrel length you use.
    gatorbait51 and StormRhydr like this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    think small, aim small...

think angles, not inches...

if you can not relate to either of these, in a self defense situation than
    think the size of a fist.
    make a fist and hold it at arms length -- it is about the size of your heart
    see a person standing away from you? see his hand,
    than that is the size of his heart and how large a target you have for aiming
    if it is him you need to engage.

practice 4" target at 25 feet
    draw to snap fire and you are good to go when
    your shots are in that area
    if you can see the second button down on this shirt --
    that is your target.

bulleseye targets, as has been said, are proportioned
    for 25', 50' and 75'. this is angles rather than inches.
    self-defense shooting is a different sightset
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links