Are you prepared for a home invasion

This is a discussion on Are you prepared for a home invasion within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Everyday on the news lately there seems to be a number of home invasions by armed thugs. Have you made a home invasion plan. My ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you prepared for a home invasion

Are you prepared for a home invasion

Everyday on the news lately there seems to be a number of home invasions by armed thugs. Have you made a home invasion plan. My wife and I did. We have weapons accessible from most rooms in the house, and each carry a cell phone on us. A home invasion plan is no diferent than a fire evacuation plan. One may think that they are safe in their house or apt. but no more. BTW when we go out everything goes into the safe except my carry piece. I would hate to come home and be confronted with one of my own weapons. Another thing, there are no kids here. If there were I would not leave loaded weapons where I do. There are too many stories about kids coming across loaded firearms that were concealed in the house.
    Why do I carry a Gun? Because I can't carry a Cop

2. Remove Ads

My wife and I have thought about this very subject and talked about a plan. But as of yet, we really do not have a set plan. Can you really come up with a "set" plan for a home Invasion situation?

But, I agree. Every day we hear about more of these home invasions happening. Here in the Shelby County / Memphis area they are a pretty common occurance. Sad to say it but, I suspect that is the situation all over the country.

Just a week or so ago we had a man found in his Lakeland Home murdered. lakeland is a small town inbetween the town I live in (Arlington) and the Memphis city limits that has very little crime let alone Violent crime. Seems he came home from work early and found 2 men and a woman in his house. They had broken in with the intent to steal from him. They tied him up and when he tried to escape, they shot him to death.
    There have been several actual home invasions in the Memphis area too. But, it seems those almost always seem to be found to be drug related. Still, the possibility of it happening is real.

I carry all the time, even in the home. My wife has her gun either on her or very close all the time. But, we have 5 kids so we have people ringing our door bell all the time. Their friends are always coming over. It is easy to become complacent about answering the door with all this traffic. But we try to stay sharp.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

When we first moved into this area south of Raleigh, my kids were at the dinner table one afternoon and they heard a light knock at the door. when they looked over, they saw a head of a domino's pizza dude staring at them. They yelled and he booked. the wife called the local office and they said they would "check into it". she informed them that the next time the delivery boy might get a delivery and they hung up.
    pax
    pt

What? No one carries their gun in their home too? Even when I'm not wearing pants I tote my P226 into whatever room I go to and plop it down next to me.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    - Edmund Burke

I leave a shotty out of the safe and carry in the house.

If I come home and my dog does not great me at the door, I can assume something bad has happened or is about to.

BGs would not make it down the driveway without setting off the dog. So while I'm home is not really an issue either.

Well you can look at this from two different points of view. The first being away from the house when it is entered. The most appropriate manner to deal with it once you discover that you have a break in is to contact PD through cell or a neighbors phone. If you must or you are surprissed then you have to take matters into your own hands and search and clear the house yourself. This is only a good idea if you are trained in doing it. If not break contact and contact PD.
    The other situtation is if you are at home and the invasion occurs. Then you have to think about how secure is the house. If you are able to keep the adversary outside of the residence and call PD. If you are unable to do so (ie they are inside) seek refuge in a saferoom. This can be a bedroom with a solid door, a basement, etc where you can prevent the adversary from entering while creating a plan of action. The worst case scenario is the one that we never want to have to face and that is to neutralize the adversary with and means necessary. If your plan is to have a firearm with you at all times then there you go. A more appropriate plan would be to keep them out of the house and let the PD handle it.
    Improvise, Adapt, Modify, and Overcome

NUCGUY,
    I was trained to clear buildings as a Deputy, and I woud not want to clear my own house unless there was a loved one inside.

Clearing a building alone is very dangerous and as a civilian there is almost never a reason to do so when you can report a break in and have Police do it. They have their vests with them. :)

Our egos tend to keep us from calling Police in such a matter, but if you look at the big picture its the smart thing to do.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesteel View Post
    Everyday on the news lately there seems to be a number of home invasions by armed thugs. Have you made a home invasion plan. My wife and I did. We have weapons accessible from most rooms in the house, and each carry a cell phone on us. A home invasion plan is no diferent than a fire evacuation plan. One may think that they are safe in their house or apt. but no more. BTW when we go out everything goes into the safe except my carry piece. I would hate to come home and be confronted with one of my own weapons. Another thing, there are no kids here. If there were I would not leave loaded weapons where I do. There are too many stories about kids coming across loaded firearms that were concealed in the house.
    Both my wife and I carry, and one of us is always carrying at home. There have been a rash of home invasions in our area lately too, which has made us more vigilent. We also have weapons stashed strategically in several rooms.

However, our dogs are our early warning system, and first line of defense. We have two Belgian Shepherds that we got as pups from a police K-9 trainer, he has trained them both. To use a "Mr. T" line, I pity the fool that tangles with either one of them. If you can get past the dogs you have to deal with either one of us.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    I refuse to go into specifics on the 'net about my place, but suffice to say that I have enough weaponry, including firearms and ammo (usually on my person), to keep several zombies down for days on end. After that I go for the blades and the sticks/staffs/other weapons.

Zombie: The other white meat.

Josh <><

Oregon shooter I cannot agree more with you. The only time that I would advocate it solo is if you are caught with your pants down per say. It is alot safer having the PD do it.
    Improvise, Adapt, Modify, and Overcome

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    As stated in the past,the wife and I have no kids. We don't even have any friends that have, or bring, their kids/grandkids over to our residence. So in this, we are "lucky".

We have a really good and thorough plan for sudden home invasion,regular home invasion(coming home to someone already there,repeatedly beating on your door,etc,),fire,WX,evacuation,LEO's making an entry,etc.

All these we practice,at our residence with real(unloaded)weapons. Also with weapons other than firearms. We have 6-8 loaded firearms on our property at any given time. Inside the house and out. Also a "stash" of extra ammo. If we come home to find a problem I have other weapons in which to access,other than my pistol. This is not to say that I will immediately engage in a house clearing activity,but we will have other weapons in which to defend ourselves with.

I have substantially "hardened" the house and garages/workshops. We have moved/placed our furniture in advantagious locations to make it easier to defend certin rooms. I have enhanced the alarm systems and the lock systems on the doors,windows and garages. We have placed cell phones in various locations through the house and the out buildings.As most of you probably know,your older cell phones,that the service has been deactivated,will still work to call 911. This,in most areas.

We practice the "what if's" and we keep our gear clean and function check everything on a 2 week cycle.

We have bug out/evac bags and Rubbermade type containers to throw in back of our vechs that are always at the ready. I feel that we are as ready as possible,and ...........it feels good. --------

Quote Originally Posted by oregonshooter View Post
    Clearing a building alone is very dangerous and as a civilian there is almost never a reason to do so when you can report a break in and have Police do it.
    So, in 30 minutes, they can show up, wait in the yard for a while trying to figure out what's going on, then clear the house and draw the chalk outlines.

Not everybody lives in town. At night, with only one or two deputies on duty, 30 minutes is not unreasonable, since all the blinky lights and noisemakers on the planet won't straighten out the backroads one bit.

In an 800 square foot house, there's nowhere to hide from an intruder for a full minute, much less 30. There are also no interior doors that would stop a determined assault with a spork. OTOH, it is quite possible to set up an ambush point from which one can clear three rooms and observe all movement to/from the others, then move to a second point where the others can be seen, leaving only a closet, which my wife is working hard at stuffing so full of crap that a mouse couldn't fit in there.

The Mossberg 835 and its ammo live within reach of the first ambush point, with the Remington 7400 .243 (with 10rd mag, of course) in the bedroom to cover the initial movement. The combination of 3.5" 18-pellet 00 magnum shells and thin walls could give room clearing a whole new meaning.

http://www.nbc4i.com/news/5078335/detail.html

This is someone my wife and I personally know. It is scary. Columbus, OH has tons of crime and I heard that the number of home invasions has tripled since 2004 in Columbus. I don't answer the door after dark. If someone I know wants to see me, they will call first. I also have ways to deal with home invaders that I will not broadcast on the Internet.
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

While awake I am either carrying IWB or have a model 60 in a SmartCarry if I am in sweat pants lounging around.

Remington 870 in the closet.

1911 in lock box in top draw of dresser unlocked at night.

110 Rhodesian Ridgeback that is the best alarm system on the planet.

First line of defense - carry at home

If someone does invade your home, they will do it as quickly as possible, and time is of the essence in your response. Any home invader knows that many homeowners have loaded guns in the closet or a drawer, and that given enough warning the homeowner will arm himself. So the invader moves very rapidly to gain control of the situation.

Your first line of defense against home invasion must therefore be to carry a handgun while at home, so that you can have a weapon in hand within a second or two. If you have to run to the bedroom closet it will take too long, and you may never make it. Most people won't carry at home because it is too much trouble, and the home invader relies upon this fact.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links