carried conceal carry in crowded surgery center for the first time.

This is a discussion on carried conceal carry in crowded surgery center for the first time. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new to conceal carry and have carried as of 10/7/13. I have done my normal routines,driving,to the store,ect.I must say it is somewhat ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: carried conceal carry in crowded surgery center for the first time.

I am new to conceal carry and have carried as of 10/7/13. I have done my normal routines,driving,to the store,ect.I must say it is somewhat of a strange feeling going armed in public places.I have not been apprehensive about carrying until today when I took my granddaughter in for surgery.
    I informed my daughter that I was conceal carry as we were going into the center,and to advise me if she saw any "NO WEAPONS"signs. There were none.
    I quess it was the closeness of all the other folks in the waiting room.The attention that the medical staff gives to the parents,the one on one conversations with the doctor that made me feel uneasy.
    I felt as if I had a "I'm armed"sign on my back.
    I took special care to ensure that I was concealed but yet have quick access to my weapon.I must have pulled it off without being noticed because not an eybrow was raised.Anybody else out there have newbie paranoia?

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Usually in a hospital location there are signs(at least at my local Hospital there are) but funny thing is the doors are automatic and open while youre a good bit away and it hides the sign. Only on my way out did i see the sign

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Well there is a law in your state that says you have to have an "I'm armed" sign on your back. You must have missed that.

Seriously though what is your CCW? Chances are you have nothing to worry about and no one noticed. That feeling you have goes away very quickly. I am new to CC and have only been doing it for a few months and I had the same feeling that everyone that looked at me saw that I had a gun
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock2201 View Post
    Well there is a law in your state that says you have to have an "I'm armed" sign on your back. You must have missed that.
    OMG, don't tell the poor guy that. He's a noob and he'll take you seriously.

OP, you wear the sign on your chest where everyone can see it. Don't listen to these funny guys on the forum. (Also, welcome to DCDC).

Welcome to the forum. I CC every day and I'm a health care professional. I operate in small rooms every day with staff, patients, and family in close proximity and no one has any idea I've got a 9mm on me. People are way to busy worrying about their own lives. Don't worry your paranoia will go away in time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
    KRvW and Tidal like this.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of concealed carry. You'll find that 99.999% of people don't nearly care as much about you as you think they do! Seriously, most people are clueless and wouldn't notice if you were open carrying. The more you carry, the easier it will get. Just don't ever become complacent. You should always be aware that you are carrying 100% of the time. Keep your SA (situational awareness) at a good level and know your state's laws by heart.
    Aceoky, Recon1342 and oldman45 like this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Don't worry about the sign, they have an app now that pinpoints your exact location and notifies everyone within a block radius of your carry status.

Welcome from Colorado!
    Recon1342 likes this.

As long as there is nothing in the state law that states you can not and there is no sign posted don't worry mon be happy! Heck man you live in the state of shooting things . You get used to it after a while , think of it as carrying to protect your family it helps a lot . Also it goes without saying make sure you have a good holster on that wont drop the gun at the wrong time . The common joke is the first time you ccw you must go to walmart helps ease all the fears . Now if you were seeing the doctor and he ask you to drop your pants that is when things could get interesting

Welcome man enjoy it .After a while it wont feel right if you are not armed .

Quote Originally Posted by amendment4 View Post
    I quess it was the closeness of all the other folks in the waiting room.The attention that the medical staff gives to the parents,the one on one conversations with the doctor that made me feel uneasy.

I felt as if I had a "I'm armed"sign on my back.
    It's why many folks do the proverbial "Wally World Walk." The point is to get over the hump you're describing, that feeling many have that there's some sort of sign pasted to your forehead, that everyone can see you're armed, etc etc. Of course, so long as you're reasonably concealed and just go about your business, 99.98% of people won't ever notice, and half of the remainder won't ever say anything when they do realize it. And, in time, you'll get over it.

Congrats on the new-found responsibilities.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Tennessee puts an RFID in their CHP that triggers door sensors to alert everyone at Wally World..... If you can get past this hurdle you're fine, which is why you will hear about the Wally Walk often here.

I've CC'd for many years, but last month I open carried for the first time. I had those jitters at first too, but soon realized even OC'ing people didn't notice!!!.
    I did Wal-Mart, Lowes, PetCo, Academy Sports, Dicks, and Bass Pro shops, all in the same day. I never got a second glance (that I noticed), the trick is not to draw attention to yourself. You will find the general public don't even see you, never mind what you're wearing, unless you give them reason too.

Welcome to the forums.

Sara Lou
    marcclarke and mook012 like this.
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    On to the important topic, how is your granddaughter? I hope everything went well and recovery is fast and easy.
    Recon1342 and mook012 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I was at an emergency room in Fresno, Ca, they had an armed guard behind glass that wanded anyone allowed through the door. That's the only one I have seen that tight
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

I work in a Hospital and it is a no weapons zone :(

I had the same feeling as well at first.Still kinda do.Especially whenever I looked in rearview mirror and saw a LEO right behind me It's like that feeling you get if your fly is open or not.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links