Arizona Laws

This is a discussion on Arizona Laws within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm moving to AZ early next year . My son has just moved to Prescott area he was in DMV office renewing his lic . ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arizona Laws

Arizona Laws

I'm moving to AZ early next year . My son has just moved to Prescott area he was in DMV office renewing his lic . He called ond told me that there was a box inside office to store your weapon weather or not you had a CCW, who exactly is the or not? . And some of the people that he works with are telling him That in AZ people can carry without a CCW and that most folks have weapons in their vehicles at the least. Can some one shed a little light here.............Thx
    It is not wrong to be Right
    An apeaser is a man who hopes that the crocidle eats him last

2. Remove Ads

The "or not" is probably because Arizona allows anyone to open carry, no CCW permit required.

Link to AZ law on firearms

Here is a link to the section of the AZ law covering the subjects of open carry and car carry:

AZ law regarding firearm carry and possession

The CCW permit law is another section. Essentially, open carry is legal in Arizona with a few exceptions. You can also carry a gun in your car, but not concealed on your person without a CCW permit.

You should get the AZ CCW permit if you are moving there. It requires a 2 day class taken within the state.

Yep, AZ laws are pretty good. Open carry is legal without a permit of any kind, carrying in your car is legal - it can even be somewhat hidden such as in the unlocked glove box.

Most (dare I say all) LEO's are OK with carrying, be it concealed or open. In the Chino Valley area the LEO's suggest carrying if you're going out into the hills. Of course you might want to be a bit choose-y about where you open carry, walking through a mall in downtown Phoenix might get you some unwanted attention. It's not uncommon around here to see someone open carrying while grocery shopping. I really like being in an area that allows OC.

Getting a CCW permit in AZ is pretty easy and doesn't take too long, ours came in this Aug about 30 days after submitting the paperwork. The cost for a permit varies, Gunsite (just up the road from Prescott, really good class) cost $100 and they do the paperwork & fingerprints at the end of the class. There is an additional $65 charge paid to the state for the actual permit.

Edit:
    You should get the AZ CCW permit if you are moving there. It requires a 2 day class taken within the state.
    Actually, it's a one day (8 hour) course for the initial permit. IIRC, renewals no longer require even the 2 hour class. Renewals are done via the U.S. mail - send in the app & check and wait for the new permit.

http://www.packing.org/state/arizona/
    Last edited by Cliffh; December 5th, 2006 at 08:31 PM.

We are planing on moving to the Chino Valley area . Have been driving up there from Riverside,ca every other weekend looking.Waiting on two homes to sell here.around here? does that mean Chino Valley?
    It is not wrong to be Right
    An apeaser is a man who hopes that the crocidle eats him last

Before I forget: Welcome to Combat Carry!

Yep, we're living in Chino Valley right now. Riverside to here every other weekend? Hope you've got a real gas-saver of a car.

I've sent you a PM.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Damn Cliff, beat me to it!

Yep, this is a great area. A lot of what is said is very true. This is a much more ranch-type area, but the towns are growing pretty fast from what I'm told. A day spent doing errands will probably produce more than 1 or 2 open carry individuals. A few people I know keep rifles in their trucks, behind the seats. Guns are extremely common around here. It's a good feeling. And as Cliff said, just about every LEO I've met around here is pro-2A. If one stops you while you are carrying, its usually to ask you where you got your gun and how much you paid - which usually ellicits a good conversation.

Very beautiful area.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Draco

You're from California so the gun laws in Arizona may seem a little odd, unbelievable, and too good to be true. But they are true. I moved to Arizona from Illinois so I can relate. You'll like America when you get here.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." - Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

Draco,Welcome to Arizona

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I am currently in VA, another state allowing anyone to open carry. My wife and I have been out to AZ several times visiting my Dad before he passed, and we're also looking at making the move out there. I couldn't help but notice you fellas seemed to be comfortable and happy with the situation, but I was wondering how most employers in the area felt about "all-waking-hours" carry. I mean, I've yet to find an employer here that isn't of the Badge profession that permits carry on premesis, and we've got very similar laws. Is this an issue, or are you guys all self employed? =)

Retired myself, so I don't know how employers feel about carrying.

Welcome to AZ...

And as the new law states:

"Now speak English!"

Welcome to AZ. Unfortunetly for every pro gunner that moves here from Cali, NY, Il...there are five antis. Enjoy it while it lasts.

I've even had an officer ask me why I wasn't carrying when I told him I have a CCW but I was unarmed. (I was heading to the base.)
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

DC Founder
    Welcome to Arizona, the virtual home of CombatCarry (it's actually in Kentucky). Coming from California, I think you will find the laws here to be very friendly about concealed carry, including the officers you come in contact with. You may have a hard time finding employers that allow you to carry at work just like everywhere else, but I'm sure there's a few around. Long as it's with me the rest of the time, I'm fine....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links