Gave Myself Up

This is a discussion on Gave Myself Up within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The other day I was going into the new Bass Pro Shop in the area. I had never been to one and my daughter and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gave Myself Up

Gave Myself Up

The other day I was going into the new Bass Pro Shop in the area. I had never been to one and my daughter and I wanted to see what all the talk was about.

Upon entering there was an older gentleman greeting individuals. He was standing behind a podium with a turnstile to enter. On the front of the podium was a big sign that stated to check guns and bows with customer service before entering.

I was initially confused by this sign as I had not seen any like them in Texas. It was not an official 30-06 sign. Wanting to do the right thing, I glanced around for customer service wondering if anyone else was checking anything.

The gentleman looked at me and was immediately helpful. He said pay no attention to the sign as it was for those bringing in guns and bows for maintenance. I smile wryly at him, knowing that he obviously knew I was carrying.

2. Remove Ads

A lot of the sporting goods stores around here have signs that say all firearms/bows must be checked at the front desk but specifically say that a CHL's weapon does not apply. Bass Pro Shops and other large outdoors/hunting stores know who their customer base is composed of, and know what they are bringing in, they tend to trust us though. Prolly not the only one it has ever happened to though, don't worry about it.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    A lot of the sporting goods stores around here have signs that say all firearms/bows must be checked at the front desk but specifically say that a CHL's weapon does not apply.
    I walked into a sporting goods store and saw the sign and took a double take. I then saw that CCP holders need not apply. Good to see those signs. too bad the text isn't bigger though.
    XD SC 9mm
    S&W 340pd

Minnesota Gun Talk

"A thing long expected takes the form of the unexpected when at last it comes." Mark Twain

The Gander Mountain in my area had the whole check-in policy going on for a little while, but after a few talks with the management, it was quickly ammended to exempt CHL's.

Like Bass Pro, it was for those bringing something in for work, but said nothing about CHL.

Lead Moderator
    Jason, I ran into the same thing in the Basspro in MI. Atleast our gun local stores have a sign reading CCW exempt. Better to be safe than sorry.
    Too bad all the gun/ sporting good stores cannot post more specific signs.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Rocky...

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Jason, I ran into the same thing in the Basspro in MI. Atleast our gun local stores have a sign reading CCW exempt. Better to be safe than sorry.
    Too bad all the gun/ sporting good stores cannot post more specific signs.
    Where in Michigan?

Just curious...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    So, in what states (apart from Texas with its "30.06" signs) is it actually ILLEGAL to disregard a "no guns, not even CCW licensed" sign and go on in to shop anyway?

I am under the impression that the most common thing is this:
    If you are discovered to be carrying, they may ask you to leave (and you ought to, for your own sake); and if you won't leave, and they call a cop, then if you refuse when the cop tells you to leave, you'll be charged with trespassing. (Not sure whether it would be aggravated on account of you being armed).

I am not under the impression that failure to heed a store policy sign (of ANY type, you must realize) is CRIMINAL. Think about it. You are legal to carry a gun in public. Why would a sign stating that store policy prohibits THAT legal act have any more weight than a store sign that prohibits, say, outside food or drink? If you brought in a Coke, and they told you to leave, and you refused and waited for a cop and still refused, you'd be charged with trespass just the same as if it had been over the no-guns policy, right? At least, that's my take on it.

What states give the force of law to a store policy like "no guns," apart from Texas (which has specific rules for the signs qualify as genuine and bearing the force of law)?

For what it's worth, I think that if people can tell from your attitude or actions that you are carrying, you're not doing it right; lacking the confidence that makes your carry transparent to others...

This is what Louisiana says. I have not researched it so I don't know if there is any more to it.

The provisions of R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person.
    They make no mention of proper signage like Texas does. I'm thinking any sign would "restrict access" to a establishment.

I ignore all signs except the 30.06. Actually thats not true. I stare at them really close at first, get a little unhealthy joy out of it, and then I ignore them. I have also found a few 30.06 signs that have been posted improperly. I found one that is an obvious attempt to be legitimate but is only in English(supposed to be Spanish too) with lettering way under the minimum font size by law(1 inch). Oops. I wanted to tell someone "Ha!" so bad, but that wouldn't be good for the cause would it?
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Senior Member Array Sweatnbullets's Avatar
    Nevada is cool....all they can do is ask me to leave.

I intentionally do not look for signs. Saw the one at Bass Pro and ignored it like the rest.

"What sign?"

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Generally speaking if you ignore a sign and are "caught" all they can do is ask you to leave. If you DON'T leave... well, that's usually criminal trespass maybe more.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

I've only seen two signs in GA. One was a Jared Galleria of Jewelry (duh!). The other was at the Brigade Quartermaster showroom (who would have thought?).

I ignored both of the signs, but I won't be spending any money at either place in the future.

signs

Have never seen one in PA but if I did no matter what the store is they would never get my buisness again,here in PA signs are just signs if they discover all they can do is ask you to leave
    US Paratroopers give the enemy maxnimum opportunity to give his life for his country

Here in Missouri all they can do is ask you to leave, although I understand in some states there are criminal penalties.

Even though they can only ask me to leave and there are legal requirements for signs I do look for and "obey" all signage......I ask for the manager; hand them a NO GUNS=NO MONEY card and explain I will not be back. I WILL NOT spend any money at a posted buisness (unless it is a "need or time constraint" on my part and then only what I need)

I own 100 acres, and I use to buy all my "stuff" at a local farm supply, until they posted when our law finally passed. I gave the manager (who knew how much I spent there-like a ZTR mower) a NO GUNS=NO MONEY card and explained as long as the sign was there I wouldn't be. I send him copies of invoices where I have bought things else where just so he knows.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I will be emailing Brigade Quartermasters regarding this as I spend a fair amount of money there.....

Thanks for the heads up....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links