Breaking in IWB holster

Breaking in IWB holster

This is a discussion on Breaking in IWB holster within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I have a IWB holster, and even with a wife beater on tucked in, the holster is still a tad irritating to wear. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Breaking in IWB holster

Breaking in IWB holster

So I have a IWB holster, and even with a wife beater on tucked in, the holster is still a tad irritating to wear. I have a slight "spare tire" on my side (3:00 is where I wear it) and it kinda bothers me to wear the holster. I believe I read something on here about mole skin? Is that something I can buy and apply it to the backside of my holster and it will be comfortable? Should I use a leather oil/conditioner? Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Bigdrowe

New ones take some time to form to your body, have you tried 3:30/4:00 position also?

VIP Member
    ^^^^^^^^^

This.

Move it around to 3:30 or greater and wear constantly for a few days.
    Aceoky likes this.

I have tried many locations from 2:30 to 4:30 and found 3:00 most comfortable. It stinks but my work won't allow me to wear even the holster, so wearing it a few days in a row is not possible... At least not all day. I wore today and will again tomorrow all day. Hopefully it starts to feel better

Bigdrowe

Yes I agree that stinks - it will get there I imagine it will just take longer.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdrowe View Post
    So I have a IWB holster, and even with a wife beater on tucked in, the holster is still a tad irritating to wear. I have a slight "spare tire" on my side (3:00 is where I wear it) and it kinda bothers me to wear the holster. I believe I read something on here about mole skin? Is that something I can buy and apply it to the backside of my holster and it will be comfortable? Should I use a leather oil/conditioner? Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Bigdrowe
    NO leather oil or conditioner please! You will ruin it! Just wear the damn thing (or post it for sale). It will conform to your body, spare tire and all in a week or so. I was also gonna suggest 3:30 but see that some else did and you wanna stick with 3:00. Try 3:30 anyway. Trust me on this. IWB holsters are not for everyone but once you break it in, you might really like it. By the way, what kind of IWB is it? Brand? Style? What gun is it for? Do you have a pic?

Oil and conditioners soften the leather. But they may soften it too much and make it useless. Best to just wear it as much as possible and let it break in naturally.

BTW, "tad irritating" is probably something you'll just have to get used too. Wrap a gun in leather and shove it in your pants, it won't exactly disappear. You'll notice it's there. You'll get used to it. And most of the guys that talk about a gun "disappearing" are just used to wearing one all the time. So, if you have not carried much it will take your body time to start just ignoring it. It should not be painful, but you will probably always notice it's there.

A lot of folks will tell you carrying is comforting but may not be comfortable.
    Aceoky likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I too have a "Slight spare tire" and it took a few holsters to find one made by TTgunleather EC Mike Special on a 2" leather belt gun belt and were it at about 4:30. Many times I don't feel it there all day. Never oil a leather holster, just ruins them. My G26 feels at home on my side and I have jammed my G19 in there at times

Ive carried IWB for years with full size pistols and four inch revolvers in the mix over that time period. There are days even a big sidearm I forget its there unless given a reason to think of it.

And then there are occasional days that the exact same pistol ive worn every day for two years and barely notice it most of the time is like a torture device. Same gun, same pants, same holster and position.

Cant explain it. Dont know if anyone else has that happen once in a while. But I still carry out and at home 365 days a year. In a day or two Ill go back to barely knowing its there. Wierd
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by druryj View Post
    NO leather oil or conditioner please! You will ruin it! Just wear the damn thing (or post it for sale). It will conform to your body, spare tire and all in a week or so. I was also gonna suggest 3:30 but see that some else did and you wanna stick with 3:00. Try 3:30 anyway. Trust me on this. IWB holsters are not for everyone but once you break it in, you might really like it. By the way, what kind of IWB is it? Brand? Style? What gun is it for? Do you have a pic?
    It is a Foxx Hoslters IWB Hybrid for a Ruger SR40C. I had a little modification done on it so not as wide(removed some leather and reposition belt clips...more comfy all read but at the top of holster it seems to dig in to my side some. My buddy has the same rig and pistol and he has his all broke in from wearing it. I tried his on and feels good. It just seems mine won't get there. Probably will soon though. I definitely need a good kydex belt. Any recommendations?

Bigdrowe

Took a couple of days of adjusting the clips and placement of my White Hat, then about a weeks worth of constant wear to fully break it in. Now it is soft and pliable In the places it needs to be, and still plenty rigid enough to be functional. I also trimmed a couple of corners just a bit to keep them from digging into my side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Well, nobody else suggested it, and it seems so obvious that it needs to be suggested, so I will. Lose the weight.

When I lost 30 lbs to get my BMI into the normal range (I was 5'-8"/190 lbs. with a 38" waist. Now I'm 5'-8" and 158 lbs. with a 32" waist. The weight's been gone for 18 months now.), all my holsters got more comfortable, all my guns got easier to conceal. I feel better and have more energy. It's easier to hide a gun on a tree trunk than on the outside of a beechball. Funny how that works. All I had to do was give up ice cream, desserts, late night snaks, and limit myself to around 25 - 30 grams of carbs per meal (the worst part, after no ice cream, was no pancakes).

You now have another reason to lose weight besides it being better for your health, and statistically way more likely to affect your longevity than packing a gun, it makes the holsters more comfortable and guns easier to conceal.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Go exercise. Yeah, it will help you loose weight, as Fitch suggested, but the heat and sweat will help break the holster in. Go work in the yard, something, while wearing it and see how that helps it. You never said what was bothering you. The gun rubbing you? The holster rubbing or chaffing? Because if it is just irritating, well, someone once said, wearing a gun is not supposed to be comfortable, but comforting. Also, trimming the holster prior to getting comfortable with it may have made it worse. It appears this is your first IWB and without knowing what works for you (not what you think works), may have made it worse.

Good luck!!

Find something similar shape and size to your body area where the gun sits. Then tape/bungee/rope the holster to it for about a week, that should give you a good start on forming it to your body.

Sara Lou
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

Here is a pic of my setup

I had moved the clips to drop the holster lower in my belt and much more comfortable today.

I could afford to drop some weight(6' 6" 262lbs)

The area that annoys me is right at the back of the gun... The very edge of the holster is a tad rough. This is day two of fully wearing it and I can already tell it is softening up.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Does anyone know about mole skin? Does it help for water/sweat/moisture at all?

Bigdrowe
    Aceoky likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links