Empty holster carry

Empty holster carry

This is a discussion on Empty holster carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This may sound like a dumb question. I don't have my carry permit yet but I want to break-in and get used to my hybrid ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Empty holster carry

Empty holster carry

This may sound like a dumb question. I don't have my carry permit yet but I want to break-in and get used to my hybrid holster (Alien Gear). Is there any laws, issues or anything of that nature that states I shouldn't do such a thing? Or is it just kind of dumb for me to go to work or run errands in an empty holster?

I can't be offended so feel free to comment.

I'd be surprised if there's any laws prohibiting it. Besides that, if others notice, they'll draw their own (meaningless) conclusions, so no biggie IMO.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Administrator
    Go for it. I don't think there are any laws pertaining to empty holster carry. Not yet anyway. The way things are going...possibly next year that will be illegal somewhere in the U.S.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Depends upon your state, in CA it might be against the law to have a picture of a holster, yet alone carry an empty one...
    I doubt that you'd have a problem wearing a piece of leather around, but you could do the same thing just around the house.
    To really break the holster in, I'd have the firearm in it.OMO
    BkCo1, TopGun47, oldman45 and 7 others like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    Yea i don't think there would be any laws against it.Whatever floats your boat.Someone may see it as being dumb,but if they do so what?

I might would try what retsupt99 said.Maybe wear it around the house some also to help get it broke in and get use to.

My cousin is doing this very thing while he waits for his permit/shops for a carry gun. You're not concealing a gun illegally, so unless there's something specific that says no, my unofficial non-legal opinion says you're fine.

Stick a cell phone or similar in it and plead dumb if questioned.

Sara Lou
    ShooterGranny and DrJekell like this.
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

Sounds like a good idea, OP. Wearing a holster will indeed help break it in. As far as I know, there shouldn't be a single state in the union that would deem an empty holster unlawful.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Depends upon your state, in CA it might be against the law to have a picture of a holster, yet alone carry an empty one...
    I doubt that you'd have a problem wearing a piece of leather around, but you could do the same thing just around the house.
    To really break the holster in, I'd have the firearm in it.OMO
    Good point. Maybe buy a blue gun and carry that around? Sure it looks like a gun but it's one big slab of blue plastic. I doubt that's illegal lol. Of course, in some states, having a pop tart in the shape of a gun gets a kid expelled from school. Pursue this advice at your own (very low) risk.
    TopGun47 likes this.

I basically have a rig that is a belly band. In Texas they have a 30.06 sign. That's really the only NO GUN SIGN that carries the weight of the LAW in TX (That and the 51% for restaurants with bars that make more then 50% of their profit) The Multiplex theaters have them in TX. So i lock my firearm in a steel key lock case and leave it in vehicle. Still i wear the M/T Holster. If a Sheriffs deputy should stop me Ill just show them its empty.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    If you can legally carry at home and/or open carry while waiting, those would be much better options. You really do need it to break in with both the gun and your body together. That's what I did, but I live in a state where those are both legal.

Posting from my phone, I blame all typos on Swype.
    Aceoky and mkh like this.

Distinguished Member
    I see nothing wrong is doing this. I do it when I must enter a premisis where proper signage is posted. I lock my gun in the GuardAll and leave it in the car. Too much of a hassle to remove the holster for a temp. visit. I usually don't remove my spare mags from the carrier on my belt either.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    i carry an empty holster when i must leave my gun so don't have to undo my belt or re thread my belt/holster in my car, never thought about it really. it's just a piece of leather. is there even a minimum age to buy a holster? where are you located?
    Aceoky likes this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Don't see why there would be a law against carrying a empty holster. You might want to check your state laws. Here in NH you can carry an unloaded pistol concealed as long as you do not have any ammo on your person. This might not help you a lot in a SD situation but it would definitely help break the holster in better than being empty.

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    Nothing wrong with that. The group students for conceal carry have days where they wear empty holsters as a form of protest.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk 2
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links