Speedloader/ reloads for revos?

This is a discussion on Speedloader/ reloads for revos? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hope this isn't too dumb of a question, but as I stated before, I am a newbie. I have 2 speed loaders for my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speedloader/ reloads for revos?

I hope this isn't too dumb of a question, but as I stated before, I am a newbie. I have 2 speed loaders for my SP101 and haven't yet purchased a speed loader carrier. Is it dangerous to carry these, loaded, in your pockets?
    Once I do purchase speed loader carriers, how is the best way to carry those?

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Not dangerous, but it is bulky.

I recommend speed strips instead.

This was my first carry rig: Ruger Speed Six, cheepie Bianchi pouch-style IWB holster and one Bianchi Speed Strip.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Several companies make carriers for speed loaders(2).They fit on your belt and are bulkie. If you decide to get one,make sure to get one w/o any velcro because of the noise associated with accessing the rds.

If carried in your pocket,it would be safe if carried all by itself. It will get your reloads kinda dirty though. I'd personally never do it for the reliability concerns.

I think that speed strips would be the way to go. Some companies also make a "dump pouch" that works fairly well.

All these items take a degree of training to master.(as do mags) --------

nope but bulky as said check into the speed strips

+ Speed strips for pocket carry

Lead Moderator
    Try some different methods of carrying spare ammo. Find what works best for you.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

YMMV, of course. Some folks can reload downright quickly using the Bianchi speed strips. They're inexpensive and thin in the pocket. I never did get the hang of a quick reload with the strips, but it ended up being my preferred method for carrying a couple/three batches of 5rds for a reload. As said, the speed loaders are bulky; best carried on the hip in a proper carrier, IMO, simply due to the bulk.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    +1 CCW9mm, I carry speedstrips becuase I can carry 2 much easier than I can carry 1 speed loader

If ya have ta reload your in serious trouble...

You need to get the bad guy(s) before five or 6 shots or he is probably on you or in a good defensive position thats going to take a lot of reloads.

But... that being said, you have good advice so far.

My choice

I occasionally carry a 5 shot revolver as a primary. When I do, I put a speed loader in my strong side front pocket. I would never consider strips because if I have to reload, I'm up a creek.

Yes, strips are a lot faster than loose bullets, but way slower than a real speed loader and that could easily be the difference. Of course, so could the time with the speed loader.

It's my recollection that one of the agents in that Miami shootout was killed while reloading his revolver. I don't remember how he was doing it. Maybe someone else could elaborate or correct me.

Running out of ammo during a gunfight is a bad thing. If it happens I want to resolve it as fast as possible.

I’d suggest you have someone show you reloading technique using both speed strips and speed loaders. Once you’ve become proficient with each, time how long it takes to do a reload with each and then use the one you’d feel most comfortable with if you had to get your gun back into action in a difficult situation.

Back in the day, when revolvers were the most common carry weapon, I used to carry a little S&W model 19 with a 2.5-inch barrel and two speed loaders. I often carried one speed loader in the watch pocket of my jeans and the other in the right front pocket. I don’t recall their bulk ever being a problem.

I fooled with speed strips for a short while, but never cared for them much because they were a bit slower to use. Maybe I just got spoiled by using speed loaders in some of the early practical pistol shoots I participated in back in the early seventies.

I don’t know what kind of speed loaders you have, but if you don’t have Safariland Comp II’s I’d suggest you take a look at them. They’re a little faster and simpler to use than the HKS loaders.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

Lead Moderator
    Another technique I have seen. find a pistol mag that will hold your ammo, use it to thumb rounds into the cylinder 1 at a time. Might be handier than speedstrips although slower than speedloaders.
    Back when I used a revo, I got fairly fast with speedloaders, but never tried other loading methods.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Something to ponder >>>> I've been told by several revo guru's that when using speed strips,that you should always only two and close cyl. This because it was found that the old time users of speed strips(big city, beat cops) were sometimes found dead with 3 or 4 rds loaded into their cyl.

So you should always load two(which you can do at one time),close and index cyl("lemme see,am I carring a Colt or a Smith") and stay, at least, defensive.

What say ye revo(ers) ?? -------

If you're gonna' pack Speedloaders...

If you're gonna' pack Speedloaders... then go ahead & have your revolver modified for full-moon clips. They're actually less "bulky" than Speedloaders, they eject & load as a "single unit" and there's nothing to do but drop 'em in (no turning knobs or pressing release buttons). Gemini Customs does a great conversion for the Ruger SP101 that allows you to use the full-moon clips OR Speedloaders OR Speed-Strips OR load one-at-a-time. I think Gemini can perform the mod on other revolvers as well (J frames, etc.). The full-moon clips come as part of the package & you can order more if you're inclined.

Yeah, you'll need dedicated tools to load & unload the full-moons but it's not much more effort than preparing Speedloaders. Precise motor skills & muscle control evaporate RAPIDLY in a gunfight. Full-moon clips are smoother, simplier and faster than ANY other method of revolver reloading (and ALMOST as fast as reloading with a autoloader magazine swap).

I bass fish in serious snake country so I keep a full-moon of .357 shot-shells in my revolver and another full-moon of 125 gr. JHP in my front pocket for "taller" critters. I can go from one load to the other in about 3.5 seconds. If you've never tried the ease of moon clip revolver reloading...you will be amazed at the speed.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I've been told by several revo guru's that when using speed strips,that you should always only two and close cyl. This because it was found that the old time users of speed strips(big city, beat cops) were sometimes found dead with 3 or 4 rds loaded into their cyl.
    I come from when it was a k frame smith and dump pouches , used speed strips in the pouches to cheat and I will call bs on this " guru " LOL . If loading other than by speed loader , then its a good thing to roll the cyllinder the proper way ( iirc its thumb up on smith and thumb down on colt assuming your revolver is held in left hand ) so when you have to close the cyllinder a bean comes under the pin even if you dont have a full load in there . Speed strips are a compromise , they take more room than loose rounds in a pocket , but are much faster . A speedloader takes more room yet but is fastest , Some makers make a " saddlebag " carryer for speedloaders that can split them over a belt where they stick up , but take up no more bulk than an auto mag. I have a fiew hks twist top speedloaders left from years ago , but have not played with much of the new generation ( there has to be one lol ) of them . The only design that i have seen that i would not carry loose tho is the old ones that had an external spring to hold the rounds and then a plunger to push them past the springs . They would shed rounds , and yes I do know that lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links