Tennessee Training

This is a discussion on Tennessee Training within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All, I'll be moving to Chattanooga this weekend from Vermont, and I need to apply for carry permit. Looks like I'll need to take ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Tennessee Training

Tennessee Training

Hi All,

I'll be moving to Chattanooga this weekend from Vermont, and I need to apply for carry permit. Looks like I'll need to take a class as one of the requirements. Can you fine folks recommend a good instructor or class or school?

Thanks in advance.

Rob
    Rob - The Erstwhile Vermont Fat Ba*d

2. Remove Ads

Try the Shooters Depot.You can find them on the web.
    Disclaimer:I have not attended any of their classes.
    I'm just offering a suggestion.Do your own due diligence.
    In loving memory of my son Trey. *Aug 28 1982- Sept 1 2004*
    Gone from our home but not from our hearts.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I'm sure this will start a riot, but you'll be in the neighborhood of James Yeager (if you don't know who he is, look for him on youtube.) His training grounds are in TN, and his Fighting Pistol courses might be a good option, if you want to study under several instructors and methods. He's one to consider. I don't have a problem with the guy. Some people don't like him.
    StormRhydr and Harryball like this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

VIP Member
    The TN handgun carry course is a very specific course prescribed by the state. There should be NO need to travel very far from where ever you live when you get to "where you live" in TN.

There are tons and tons of places that offer the course. Check with any LGS when you get to TN and if they don't offer the course they can give you a list of people/places that do. It can be either a one full day (classroom plus range test) or split into 2 or 3 sessions - depends on who is teaching it. The normal price you will pay for this course is $100 to $150. More than that is excessive and unnecessary. Then it will cost you (I think) $100 to pay to the state for your first license. Price may have gone up in the past few years on that. Renewals are for 4 years and cost $50 each time.

Hope this information was helpful.

Please note: In TN you do NOT get a concealed carry license. You get a handgun carry license. Once you have the license you OC or CC - your choice.
    Aceoky, Aceoky and Qtip like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    I'm sure this will start a riot, but you'll be in the neighborhood of James Yeager (if you don't know who he is, look for him on youtube.) His training grounds are in TN, and his Fighting Pistol courses might be a good option, if you want to study under several instructors and methods. He's one to consider. I don't have a problem with the guy. Some people don't like him.
    You are talking about shooting training. The class required for obtaining a handgun carry license in TN is a specific class - some shooting schools offer that class. It is NOT an advanced shooting training class!

In fact, it's not a shooting class. You already have to know how to shoot to be able to take and pass the range part of the test. It's pretty easy though.

==================

VIP Member
    Check around, google is your friend....

My parents live in Clarksville, TN and they paid $60 for the class at the local county owned range. Classes held every Saturday apparently...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post
    Check around, google is your friend....
    My parents live in Clarksville, TN and they paid $60 for the class at the local county owned range. Classes held every Saturday apparently...
    $60 is a GOOD deal!!!!

==================

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    $60 is a GOOD deal!!!!
    That's what I thought when I wrote the check for both of them...
    ShooterGranny and Aceoky like this.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    You are talking about shooting training. The class required for obtaining a handgun carry license in TN is a specific class - some shooting schools offer that class. It is NOT an advanced shooting training class!

In fact, it's not a shooting class. You already have to know how to shoot to be able to take and pass the range part of the test. It's pretty easy though.
    Correct. I must not have read closely enough. I just saw "training" and didn't realize he just wanted the most basic stuff to get a CCW. On that note however, I will offer up that you (anyone) should seek as much training and practice (two very different things) as you can afford to get.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Try Dodd Training. 423-877-0399
    www.DoddTraining.com

Lets Be Careful Out There!
    Ron
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    Correct. I must not have read closely enough. I just saw "training" and didn't realize he just wanted the most basic stuff to get a CCW. On that note however, I will offer up that you (anyone) should seek as much training and practice (two very different things) as you can afford to get.
    I totally agree with you on seeking as much training and practice as you can afford.....(that will be practical for you).....which is a subject of a different thread that is very long. I made my views on training pretty clear on that thread. Some people agreed - some didn't. All is normal.

==================

$60 is a GOOD deal!!!!
    FWIW, the price that shooters depot has published on their website for the classes is $65. Which, from the sounds of things, is probably where I'll end up taking the class. When I want more training, I'll be sure to explore my options more thoroughly. I do a fair bit of target shooting on my own, as well as USPSA and IDPA, and I'm an inactive Marine. But I'm always open to more training.
    Aceoky likes this.

For actual training, I second Yeager's Tactical Response. They are located in Camden TN. Im a Tactical Response Alum, and am sold on them.

Quote Originally Posted by VTFatBa*d View Post
    FWIW, the price that shooters depot has published on their website for the classes is $65. Which, from the sounds of things, is probably where I'll end up taking the class. When I want more training, I'll be sure to explore my options more thoroughly. I do a fair bit of target shooting on my own, as well as USPSA and IDPA, and I'm an inactive Marine. But I'm always open to more training.

Quote Originally Posted by RonM0710 View Post
    Try Dodd Training. 423-877-0399
    Dodd Training & Associates: Guns, Training Classes
    Ron
    Checked 'em out online. Looks like a decent place to get some training, and I may contact them in the future. But holy hell, that website is slow! Almost too painful to use. Could use a tweaking. Just saying...

Tactical response offers the carry class.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links