How nervous were you the first time?

This is a discussion on How nervous were you the first time? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In all honesty, how nervous were you the first time you concealed carried a loaded weapon? I have been around guns (mainly shotguns and rifles) ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: How nervous were you the first time?

How nervous were you the first time?

In all honesty, how nervous were you the first time you concealed carried a loaded weapon? I have been around guns (mainly shotguns and rifles) my whole life, but still makes me nervous to carry with one in the pipe?

Honest answers please

Thanks

Bigdrowe
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Very nervous, but learn to trust your gun (as long as its a modern design from a reputable maker) to not go off. Guns are drop safe and depending on the model have several safety systems built in to ensure that a gun will not go off unless the trigger is pulled.

You will stop being nervous eventually and will feel naked without a gun.

And, IMO, if you're not ready to carry chambered, you're not ready to carry.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I don't carry chambered, so I don't have that problem. And before the 'wars' start, I CHOOSE to carry that way. I've been carrying for about 10 years the same way.

Sara Lou
    gatorbait51 and SCXDm9 like this.
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

I was a little nervous, and foolishly carried the 1911 in Condition 2 (hammer down on a live round) because I thought it was safer! But the more I carried, and the more exposure to different places and situations, the more normal it seemed. Formal training accelerated the comfort level.

If you ever spent any time hunting with a shotgun, did you carry that enormously powerful weapon with an empty chamber? Few people think about that, but a shotgun is a lot more powerful than most defensive handguns, and commonly their safeties only block trigger motion and not the sear. Practically speaking, that should be far scarier than carrying a handgun with one in the chamber.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Nervous, no, self-conscious, yes. For about 2-3 times.... Most don't carry without a round in the chamber, but you could choose not to if it helps you "get over the hump".

I wasnt. Shrug.

Just a little nervous. My first time was in a dollar store. Easy walk. :) Took me a while to get the nerve to carry with a round in the chamber. That made me a bit more nervous at first. But, I have been carrying that way over two years and the gun has never fired itself. Now I don't even think about it.
    gatorbait51 and EdJean like this.

I was a little nervous, but it goes away quickly. My first conceal carry gun was a Gen2 Glock19. I also didn't carry with a round chambered the first couple times I went out with it. Now it is second nature :)
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I'm embarrassed to say that I can't remember the first time I carried concealed.
    Arborigine likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I was more self conscious than nervous. I knew my weapon was safe with a round in the chamber so no worries there. It was more a feeling like having a huge sign floating above me screaming HEY LOOK AT ME IM CARRYING!

After a few days it subsides. After open carrying a few times you realize no one pays any attention to a full size strapped to your hip never mind the little ruffle in your shirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    "Ours is the only country deliberately founded on a good idea." ~John Gunther

I have alway had weapons around the house, for decades, but I still felt 'different' when I was able to arm myself out in public.
    I certainly was aware of crime, I liked the idea of being armed, but I probably felt like other people might point me out. That feeling soon disappeared, and I got on with life.
    Taking various courses also helped calm the self-consciounce feeling...it has been a pleasant journey.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Like others have mentioned, I wasn't nervous about it, just self conscious about others noticing. That quickly subsided though. I've always been a confident and informed guy, so I knew my weapon was safe as long as I did my part and followed the basic but ever so important rules.
    gatorbait51, Buckman60 and darbo like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Not at all.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    I never carried a handgun before 2010, did shoot .22s in my youth at frogs and cans, was a good shot with a pellet gun, yet never had any nerves or fears or self-consciousness CC, ever.

I must say I did feel nervous going to an indoor range with a bunch of people I didn't know and whose ability to handle a firearm was unknown. I always took the right-most booth and after about 5-6 visits (thankfully) now only shoot at an outdoor range, just me and my partner. No idea why some people are afraid or self-conscious.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Nervous? Not especially. As with poster Daffy above, I was a bit self conscious. As my experience grows, and as my carry methods evolve, it all becomes second nature.

I did not carry with a loaded chamber the first few times; now, my carry piece is always with a round in battery. I do double check the safety each time I holster.

IIRC, someone in my CCW class said words to the effect that concealed carrying makes one extra polite. It is true with me, whether on the road or in a store. (And, I'm a polite kind of guy, anyhoo.)

gatorbait51 likes this.
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links