Handgun Law Phone App?

This is a discussion on Handgun Law Phone App? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey Gents, Gary I was wondering if you guys had any plans on introducing a phone app? I know obviously we brush up on laws ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Handgun Law Phone App?

Handgun Law Phone App?

Hey Gents,

Gary I was wondering if you guys had any plans on introducing a phone app? I know obviously we brush up on laws for travel routes and places we visit while carrying, but sometimes it would be nice having things at your disposal and to have the ease of quick access. So plain and simple, anyone know of one thats out already or in the making?
    rcsoftexas likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I use one called Legal Heat, it's $.99. They appear to keep it up to date pretty well.
    TDH1961 likes this.

I use CCW.
    MasterGadgets likes this.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27
    Springfield XDm .45 ACP 4.5
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

I also use CCW, seems to update with new laws states wide

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    We have no plans for an App. Handgunlaw.us is viewable on most Smart Phones. I have stated more than once to not stake your future and your gun rights on something you read on the internet. Every info site on CCW has a disclaimer. Verify the info. I will say that Handgunlaw.us has links to state specific websites that you can verify info with. We give links to the statutes and tell you where to look in the statutes to verify. We are also more up to date than any website that supplies CCW info. I can not speak about Legal Heat or CCW as I don't have a smart phone but have viewed Handgunlaw.us on several different smart phones.

The biggest problem I see with all other sites that supply info is they are very slow to update changes in reciprocity. Especially when a state drops a state. Most are still showing that Nevada honors Missouri and Delaware. Nevada stated they dropped both on July 1, 2013 though they didn't post it on their state website until July 30, 2013. All were reporting that South Carolina honored the Enhanced Idaho permit 6 weeks before any agreement was signed. They did that as the Idaho State Police were reporting that but after talking to the Idaho AG's Office they told me the Idaho State Police were in error and would remove it. They never did and finally SC did sign an Agreement. SC will not honor another state before they have a signed agreement. That is their law. So do verify any info you read on the internet.

As a side note Idaho was listing incorrect info for 6 weeks. The Missouri AG was still listing Nevada as still honoring them for almost 4 weeks until I finally got through to them that Nevada had dropped them. So even state websites can be in error. Some of them even have disclaimers stating this is for informational purposes only and is not to be taken as the law. So be careful. Verify!!!!!
    bigmacque and GSDSchutzhund like this.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Don't believe anything you read on the Internet. Unless its from the Government site. So why not tie them all together (Government Carry Inf) oand make a phone friendly version? Imagine a gov ran app with drop down menu per state. If pay a nice premium for something like that.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Sorry Pachanga but I absolutely don't agree with you there. I wouldn't put my faith in a government run web site for something as precious as my right to carry. I'm with Slider on this one.
    rcsoftexas and Aceoky like this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    Sorry Pachanga but I absolutely don't agree with you there. I wouldn't put my faith in a government run web site for something as precious as my right to carry. I'm with Slider on this one.
    I'm not in the least offended, after all its why I'm here. To learn with an open mind
    So say you're going across state lines, what source do you go to in order to get the up to date laws?
    I want to say call but then that's almost hearsay. Ive had local LEOs give conflicting "facts" on legal blade size, so just don't find it comforting.
    rcsoftexas and bigmacque like this.

I am not sure what all it takes to make an App. But it has to cost money and then you have to update it. I am not a computer geek so I can't answer those questions. Please someone who knows for sure correct me but from what I understand you can't just pull info from a website and it will show on the app. You can put links in an app to go to a website. From what I understand you have to put the info in the Application. Once the app is built like a website you can update the info in the App. That is the way I understand it. Again I don't know that much about computers.

The problem is not building a Website or App but keeping it updated. Do you just do an App? Do you just do a Website? I do know that Legal Heat can't be downloaded and run on a PC. My IT Guy (Steve) told me that. It takes time to keep it up to date. On some days I only put in 1 hour checking for changes etc. On Most days it is 2, 3 or 4 hours and some days I have put in 8, 10 or 12 hours. I put in over 1000 hours a year just checking for changes and keeping the site updated. The thing is I know where to find changes it is just knowing there has been a change. There have been a lot of changes in the firearm laws just this year. Below is a list of changes in who honors who in the last 12 months. That shows you that someone has to keep after things and keep it updated or it becomes outdated in no time.

11/2/12 - Wyoming No Longer Honors New Mexico.
    12/11/12 - Delaware No Longer Honors Virginia.
    12/21/12 - NM Honors Virginia
    1/4/13 - Virginia Now Honors Indiana
    1/28/13 - DE has added VA back on the list of states they honor but will only honor VA until 12/7/13. ( I do not know why)
    2/9/13 - PA will only Honor a FL Permit Issued to Residents of Florida.
    2/28/13 - NE Now Honors Wisconsin.
    3/1/13 - NE only Honors IA Non-Professional Permit
    3/5/13 - Nevada No Longer Honors Arizona.
    3/22/13 - SC Now Honors North Dakota.
    3/29/13 - WI Now Honors AK Permits Issued/Renewed after 1/13/13. NM Honors AK.
    4/1/13 - PA Only Honors Maine Resident Permit
    4/10/13 - New Mexico Now Honors South Carolina.
    4/11/13 - Pennsylvania Only Honors VA and AZ Resident Permit/Licenses.
    4/22/13 - PA Only Honors MS Resident Permit
    4/29/13 WA Has Dropped FL. FL Will Drop WA in the Next Few Days.
    5/2/13 - VA Now Honors Wisconsin.
    5/24/13 - Louisiana Honors New Mexico. New Mexico Honors Wyoming and Nevada. Wyoming Will Honor New Mexico.
    7/1/13 - Kansas Now Honors All Other States Permit/Licenses. Georgia and Wyoming Honor Kansas.
    7/9/13 - Illinois Now Shall Issue. States that will honor its Permit Added.
    7/20/13 - New Mexico Now Honors the Idaho "Enhanced Permit." PA Honors Kansas.
    8/1/13 - Pennsylvania No Longer Honors Idaho. Nevada No Longer Honors Missouri and Rhode Island. Nevada Now Honors North Dakota and Idaho. West Virginia Now Honors Idaho. Alabama Now Honors All Other States Permit/Licenses.
    8/12/13 - West Virginia and Georgia Now Honor Each Other.
    8/16/13 - Arkansas Now Honors All Other States Permit/License.
    8/23/16 - West Virginia and Colorado Now Honor Each Other.
    8/28/13 - South Carolina Now Honors New Mexico.
    9/14/13 - Virginia No Longer Honors Missouri
    9/24/13 - South Carolina Now Honors The Idaho Enhanced Only.
    rcsoftexas likes this.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

To be honest with you Pachanga my source for crossing state lines - something I do with relative frequency - is my personally gained knowledge.

I use handgunlaw.us to provide me the overviews and quick insights, but for every trip I take I take the links from that site to visit the individual states statutes and make sure I know what I'm doing. I routinely travel to Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, and both Carolina's, so I've learned them and rely on that knowledge to keep me legal.

I just trust myself and my own ability to acquire the necessary knowledge more than any app or source.
    Gary Slider, Sarge65 and Aceoky like this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by GSDSchutzhund View Post
    Hey Gents,

Gary I was wondering if you guys had any plans on introducing a phone app? I know obviously we brush up on laws for travel routes and places we visit while carrying, but sometimes it would be nice having things at your disposal and to have the ease of quick access. So plain and simple, anyone know of one thats out already or in the making?
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...SXvH-T4tEvE_gA
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    If you play stupid games you win stupid prizes.

Apps are not cheap to build, and although the update to an app can be no more complicated than a web site and in some cases easier, the cost to get it up and running is not cheap. If you have the ability to code and write it yourself, great, but I've had quotes as high as $25K to do a simple app that really only tallies a spreadsheet that took me 30 minutes to build.
    rcsoftexas likes this.

You got me doing some digging, what a great idea. I am sure us people here could do what your talking about.
    While digging I ran across my states laws and the way they do this is really great.

TxDPS - CHL Agreements with Other States <-----Excellent!!!!!!! I love Texas
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
    NRA member 18 yrs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKnEA...C4C7BEE0A02E48

rcsoftexas, That is a great thing for Texas to show who they honor but check out the page in the link below. Listed on that page are Quirks in how states honor each other. That is what even makes an app to show who honors who a nightmare.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/CreateAMapNotice.pdf
    rcsoftexas likes this.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

I have "Legal Heat" on my iPhone, and it works fairly well. It appears to be updated quite often.
    However, when traveling from FL to see the grandkids, I still do individual visits to state sites that we'll travel through to check on new/changed laws.
    bigmacque and Sarge65 like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links