How wacky is this?

This is a discussion on How wacky is this? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was going to Gander Mt. store to see about trading some hand guns. So in addition to my CCW, I entered the store with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How wacky is this?

How wacky is this?

I was going to Gander Mt. store to see about trading some hand guns. So in addition to my CCW, I entered the store with my bag of firearms and announced to the clerk my intentions. I have been there before and know that "don't tell" is the rule for the concealed weapon, so I didn't give that up.

What was weird was that I had to open the bag, remove each gun from it's box and/or holster, demonstrate each gun was unloaded, and then place them back in their respective box and/or holster and then into the bag. After all that I was allowed to go to the back of the store to the gun section. Not that I couldn't have been carrying a clip or loose rounds.

Anyway, it just seemed ridiculous.

p.s. I didn't trade.

2. Remove Ads

For every stupid rule: there was some idiot who didn't have common sense and went in there with loaded guns. They made it a hassle for you and me but the rule was made for the next idiot.
    Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

gander

Which one was it if you don't mind me asking?
    US Paratroopers give the enemy maxnimum opportunity to give his life for his country

It does seem strange.

Maybe like we check our guns to make sure they are unloaded before cleaning. Perhaps they check, too, before servicing/trading?

Not to keep you from going nuts and shooting up the store, but to prevent accidents.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    In this country where one can sue for almost anything, I'm sure it is just a liability precaution.....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Lead Moderator
    Checking in the front of the store, as well as the gun section helps prevent AD's. either from employees or customers. not everyone is safety conscious.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

At the Gander Mountain local to me you have to check firearms as well, then walk back to the hunting department, straight through the ammunition aisles....

WHAT?
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    - Edmund Burke

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    i frequent Gander Mtn quite often and like shopping for firearms there...I have never stopped at the front desk, and have just took my bag back...of course no one has ever stopped me up front either.
    a ND is dangerous up front or in the back....6 of one half dozen of the other.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Play The Game...

Keep your CCW...just that...concealed...
    It's an insurance thing...

Stay alert...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It is an insurance thing pure and simple. Insurance rules are not common sense!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xercise2nd View Post
    Anyway, it just seemed ridiculous.

I don't think that the policy is intended to keep you from being able to enter armed for a crime spree/robbery/massacre. It's to make sure that you won't be negligently pointing a loaded gun around when you go in to the gun counter and take it out to show the guy there. From that standpoint, it makes sense, I think.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    At my local GM there is only 1 true "gun guy" , so I expect
    the others to act like the retail sheeple they are.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    Which one was it if you don't mind me asking?
    Scranton.

Quote Originally Posted by absit View Post
    At the Gander Mountain local to me you have to check firearms as well, then walk back to the hunting department, straight through the ammunition aisles....

WHAT?
    Same at this store. Not that one couldn't have a charged clip or loose ammo in a pocket...

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I don't think that the policy is intended to keep you from being able to enter armed for a crime spree/robbery/massacre. It's to make sure that you won't be negligently pointing a loaded gun around when you go in to the gun counter and take it out to show the guy there. From that standpoint, it makes sense, I think.
    Good answers, team! I buy that insurance is the answer, both the kind you buy and the kind you demonstrate to avoid an AD.

Seems to me it is just a safety precaution. I have seen clerks at stores become so busy and sloppy in handling firearms that they fail to check/clear weapons occasionally. The more time people check, the less likely you have to 'duck'.
    The world is a dangerous place to live... not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

Ganger mtn.

Thanks never been to that one just the one in York;have never seen any signs there but have never took any to trade.Always CCW in there.One thing I have learned is to leave the wife at home damn shes like a kid in a candy store
    US Paratroopers give the enemy maxnimum opportunity to give his life for his country

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links