1911 vs. Glock IWB carry impressions

1911 vs. Glock IWB carry impressions

This is a discussion on 1911 vs. Glock IWB carry impressions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi guys, I've carried both. I used to carry my G27 in a Galco IWB holster. I felt very comfortable with it for it was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 vs. Glock IWB carry impressions

Thumbs up 1911 vs. Glock IWB carry impressions

Hi guys,

I've carried both. I used to carry my G27 in a Galco IWB holster. I felt very comfortable with it for it was a secure holster and the trigger was always covered. My draw time was quick as hell, but when it came time to holster the weapon, I always had to make sure that nothing gets snagged in the trigger guard that could cause an AD (shirt, scarf, button, bracelet, watch, etc).

Now I have moved on and carry a 4" 1911 Kimber with a Del Fatti IWB holster (just picked one up from Lightning Arms), and I am much more comfortable wearing it. It conceals better and is much easier to draw and holster.

When I holster the 1911, I keep my thumb on the thumb safety when I holster it, so I don't really have to worry about an AD and I don't have to look to my side to check that I'm not going to snag the trigger with anything. Also, I kinda pinch it when I holster it, so I don't push down on and disengage the other safety. When you holster the Glock, you just have to hope nothing is in the way.

I love my Glock and it ALWAYS fires, but the 1911 feels so much better and covers up ever so well. Sure, I loose 3 rounds, but who cares. For those of you thinking about a new choice of carry, remember that just because the 1911 is an older designed gun...it still kicks !

But on the other hand, some might be more worried about external safeties and are just only concerned with drawing the pistol fast. Glock would be a way to go, but I like the added security (not to mention better accuracy) of the 1911.

Has anybody made a switch from a Glock to a 1911 as a CC choice? If so, why? Cheers!

/Harry

I was sure from the second that I saw this posted that it was going to hit the fan because of hardcore 1911 fans as well as Glock fans. With that in mind here are my two cents worth.
    I have to agree that the 1911 has passed the test of time and has come out smelling like a rose. It is a tried and true design with a feel like no other when you wrap your hand around the grip and depress that grip safety. It instantly gives you the feeling of power tradition, etc. Then if you pick up a Glock you feel new technology, new style, and ruggedness and then look at it and say "That is a design that only a mother can love" because it is ugly as sin in comparrison to the 1911. When you talk about being accurate then the battle continues with "Well the such and such model 1911 racegun can hold a group the size of a dime at such and such distance" then the Glock guys will say "Well I have shot 10000 rounds throuhg my glock and it is still shooting like it is brand new". I have to say that I have been on both sides of the field and even though I am about to piss off thousands of die hard John Wayne fans I have to go with the glock. The out of box reliability, accuracy and straight forward ruggedness have me sold on them for life. That is of course unless I want a pretty gun to show off at the range. OK right I can't even hold a straight face on that one. Firearms were not created to be pretty they were made to kick &** and take names. Glock in a Milt Sparks IWB or SOB.
    Improvise, Adapt, Modify, and Overcome

Dinosaur with a GLOCK

I'm an die-hard, old 1911/Hi-Power shooter who has only recently found the GLOCK G19 to be a genuine handgun. I've actually grown fond (forgive me Moses Browning) of the Austrian Vundergun and carry it regularly (Milt Sparks IWB). But I must confess that I too exercise EXTRA care in re-holstering my GLOCK for the same issue that started this thread. There's just something primordially reassuring about holding upward pressure on that old-fashioned thumb safety of a 1911 when seating a handgun back into its holster. And I doubt I'll EVER lose the habit of sweeping downward with my right thumb along the left side of the frame when bringing a pistol upward toward my target. It's completely sub-conscious muscle memory after decades of draw & fire practice.

That's the reason I'm seriously considering the installation of a Cominolli (sp?) Manual Thumb Safety on my G19. Not because GLOCKs aren't safe just the way they are, but more because; my old habits allow for an EXTRA safety with no down-side, the GLOCK warranty isn't effected, and (in the event of a pistol snatch) studies prove the Thumb Safety provides extra (precious) seconds to recover the pistol or dive for cover while the Bad Guy wonders why it won't fire. All this & my piece of mind for $115 plus shipping? Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

Yes, I know it's something else to remember. Yes, I know the REAL safety is between my ears. Yes, I've heard all the pros & cons. But the more I think about it...the more sense it makes to & for old pistol packers who now carry GLOCKs, like me.

Remember the old saying - I show my Kimber to my friends and family - I show my Glock to my enemies

Shot both, carried both. I just traded off my second STI ($750) to get another G19 (Having previously traded off a set of Glocks to get the STIs! ) No doubt, the 1911 platform has a nice "feel", but, at least in my case, the Glock has all the practical advantages.

As far as carry goes, the holster is the "Biggie". The 19 and a Commander-sized 1911 are in the same basic envelope, it will depend on minute angles, in relation to your body type, as to which will conceal more easily.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    There's just something primordially reassuring about holding upward pressure on that old-fashioned thumb safety of a 1911 when seating a handgun back into its holster.
    That hit the nail on the head.

And please guys, don't get me wrong, I love Glocks. I have a G17 and a G27, and they are great fun to shoot. I don't however, like the double stack style. I much rather prefer something thinner.

I am going to consider the G36 though. But for now, since I can't shoot my Glock anywhere near as well as I can shoot my Kimber...I'll be keeping the Kimber by my side for now.

New Member Array SonOfMallNinja's Avatar
    I carry a Glock 19, my daughter carries a Kimber Pro Carry Ten II. We like them both enough that sometimes we switch. And we have the same basic issues as you, DrtyHarry.

Some variety is always fun. Same goes for shotguns, cigars, and cars (nope, in my case this doesn't include women- please don't go there)

When I Re-holster my Glock I always worry about something snagging the trigger. For that reason I cant do a no look re-holster.
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

I don't believe any one maker has a gun that works "best" for everyone. Glock fans can be every bit as rabid as 1911 fans. Both sides have their lists of horror stories about the opposite camp and all the reasons theirs makes the most sense.

I, personally like my 1911s. I've tried the Glocks and think they make a great gun but it just dosn't "fit" me. If there was one perfect answer there would be a lot fewer gun manufacturers out there.....
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

ElCruisr you have hit the nail on the head. What works for you IS the best.
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

I've carried both and prefer the 1911 over the glock

Both are fine guns i prefer the 1911

I didn't carry a glock, but did carry an xd service with an iwb. I just switched over to an iwb with a government 1911. Much more comfortable to carry the 1911 for long periods of time. just my .02.

I gave my girlfriend a Glock 26 for her bday. I didn't get her a 1911 variant because it's a much easier piece of equipment for her to handle "in the heat of the moment".

No external safies to remember, just point and shoot. Her mind isn't conditioned to remember to always drop the thumb safty (that can change with practice though...in case she reads this...lol).

With the Glock, all she has to do it take it out of the holster, and she's ready to go. So for novice or new CCW carriers, I'd probably go with the Glock...I know I did.

On the flip side of course, novice shooters won't be conditioned to keep their finger off the trigger either...

I find the thickness of Glocks very uncomfortable, but the grip of 1911s is kinda hard to conceal in light clothes (even officers).
    Of the 2, I find the 1911 more comfortable, and I shoot much much better with it.

My P2000sk is thin (compared to the Glock) and short in the grip so it should work out good.

I Have Both...

But my Glock-36 already has the single stack grip. It is a great CCW! I also have two Kimbers, Pro & Ultra. I prefer the Ultra (over the Pro) as it is also, a great CCW.
    I like both (Ultra & G-36) equally, and I feel comfortable with either as my CCW. If I were forced to pick just one...my Ultra would have a slight edge...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links