Does holster color help with concealment?

This is a discussion on Does holster color help with concealment? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for a new holster, probably a kydex IWB. I have noticed that many manufacturers offer color choices. Aside from mere purposes of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Does holster color help with concealment?

I am looking for a new holster, probably a kydex IWB. I have noticed that many manufacturers offer color choices. Aside from mere purposes of cool, has anyone found a benefit from getting a non-black color?

I have a black pistol. Would a grey, brown or blue (I wear jeans often!) holster highlight that I am carrying or blend in more? Or would a black holster blend in with the pistol, in case my shirt gets lifted up?

Just wondering and couldn't find anything in search.

Thanks!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

IWB holster are very well hidden. IMO I do not think you will have issues with blending. If it was outside the waist then maybe..Get what you like and most important, get what works for you....

EDIT to add: The belt clips should match your belt....
    baren, gatorbait51, darbo and 1 others like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    The guy who schooled me on holsters, Gary Brommeland, assured me that black on black with gun, holster and belt does serve to minimize the impact of accidental exposure when concealing. In hindsight, I share that opinion.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I've heard that people aren't really all that observant. We are used to seeing black cellphone carriers on people's belts. If someone accidently catches a glimpse of your holster, their brain is more likely to assume it is a cellphone and move on. If it is a different color they might give it a second look. Little kids can be a really problem due their height and disconnect between their mouth and brain (not that this is unique to kids).
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Quote Originally Posted by Dabster View Post
    Depending on what a person is wearing, yes it does IMO.

Invariably, the ones I readily see are those that are higher riding, different color than the background pants/shirt. The darker the clothing and holster colors, and the more mixed the pattern of the shirt or covering garment, the better they seem to blend in (at least, to my eyes). Rarely do I pick out someone carrying, say, a black gun+holster who's also wearing a black shirt even though that IWB or OWB holstered gun is openly visible.

In the past, I've acquired a couple of different colors, because occasionally I carry with deep maroon shirts (or other similarly reddish/tannish type coloring other than black-on-black). Seems to blend in better with darker colors overall, instead of the "standard" tan hides. Worst is, as you might imagine, a white shirt with a holstered gun clearly visible. Hard to hide the outline of those from most folks.
    Aceoky, CIBMike and gatorbait51 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

GH
    I have black OWB holsters - Kydex, leather & nylon - & a black multi-tool carrier which I use for my spare magazine. I used to have a black cellphone holder but now I usually carry my phone in my pocket. So far nobody screamed "gun" & I wouldn't expect anyone to. My holster & carrier are always covered with a shirt & now with the cooler weather a jacket, too so I don't think color would make a difference. I'd stay away from any neon or red colors, though & I'd keep the colors dark - black or brown.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabster View Post
    I am looking for a new holster, probably a kydex IWB. I have noticed that many manufacturers offer color choices. Aside from mere purposes of cool, has anyone found a benefit from getting a non-black color?

I have a black pistol. Would a grey, brown or blue (I wear jeans often!) holster highlight that I am carrying or blend in more? Or would a black holster blend in with the pistol, in case my shirt gets lifted up?

Just wondering and couldn't find anything in search.

Thanks!

It depends in large part on you, what you're wearing, and what type of holster you use and where it's located, but even with IWB, yes it can help, if you have a pink holster and a dark T-shirt, it could show through the shirt, for example. I also prefer to use black holsters with dark clothes, or a white belly band with a white T0shirt, etc.. just so if the shirt does slip up, and a bit of the holster is exposed, it will blend in, instead of stand out.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

VIP Member
    My preference in holsters are leather. I go with black, brown or tan. I doubt color has much impact in whether it is noticed or not. Of course if it is "Hello Kitty" pink I guess it would stick out more.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

A bit, but I would say the shirt color you are wearing has more of an impact. If I'm wearing a light colored shirt, I can have a heck of a time concealing something, but if I'm wearing a darker shirt or one with a design on it, I can hide a XD9 Service quite easily AIWB.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

The hot pink holsters blend in really well........

Sara Lou
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

I've always gone with black holsters for good reasons. I've pretty much stuck with black pistols as well. As someone had previously mentioned, IWB holster colors might not be so important for some. But if you think of a silhouette and an actual picture.....which is more stealthy in your opinion? Which could you more readily identify?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zralou View Post
    The hot pink holsters blend in really well........

Sara Lou
    What's your thoughts on purple, green and gold? Happy Mardi Gras . :-)

Not really, but I will say this...

My Glock is black, my IWB is black and I usually wear a black T-shirt under my cover shirt. If the wind blows my shirt a bit, you really can't see anything.
    If you're wearing any IWB holster, it's pretty difficult to see a firearm (if it's CC).OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have found that my OD green OWB holster blends in pretty well with my camo pants or shorts. I also will generally wear black "wife beaters" under my clothes with a black holster and my glock and they virtually blend in so I think thay color does matter to the extent of the color of the backdrop.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; October 19th, 2013 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Spelling
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    The guy who schooled me on holsters, Gary Brommeland, assured me that black on black with gun, holster and belt does serve to minimize the impact of accidental exposure when concealing. In hindsight, I share that opinion.
    Especially if the shirt behind it is dark colored.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links