Idaho CCW permit possible at age 19?

This is a discussion on Idaho CCW permit possible at age 19? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im recently moved to ammon idaho and Im 19 years old. I have the ability to OC but would prefer to conceal if possible. It ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Idaho CCW permit possible at age 19?

Im recently moved to ammon idaho and Im 19 years old. I have the ability to OC but would prefer to conceal if possible. It is under discretion of the issuing authority for someone under 21. Does anyone have any experience with this? I have nothing that would stop me legally from getting a permit and can show my certificates for safety courses. Is it something that they do often or would i be wasting my time and should i just continue to open carry

Distinguished Member Array Recon1342's Avatar
    Issuing authority is the Sheriff's office for your county. Go talk to whomever is in charge of the permit process and explain your thoughts much as you've done here. They will do one of two things- tell you yes, or tell you no. If no, you can still OC, so not a huge loss. I have a permit and still OC frequently, but to each their own. Good Luck!

VIP Member
    First off, welcome to the forum.

As to your question. Follow Recon1342 advice. Go straight to the issuing authority for an answer.
    Recon1342 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

i will go there and talk to him/her. i just like the thought of concealed more, as sometimes oc can cause unwanted attention

If you mention that you will OC regardless, that might convince the issuing authority to go ahead and issue you a permit if they're the type that prefers people to conceal. Just a thought. Good thing is, you have nothing to lose.
    Recon1342 likes this.

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    18-3302. Issuance of Licenses to Carry Concealed Weapons.

(1) The sheriff of a county, on behalf of the state of Idaho, shall, within ninety (90) days after the filing of an application by any person who is not disqualified from possessing or receiving a firearm under state or federal law, issue a license to the person to carry a weapon concealed on his person within this state. For licenses issued on or after July 1, 2006, a license shall be valid for five (5) years from the date of issue. The citizen’s constitutional right to bear arms shall not be denied to him, unless one (1) of the following applies. He:
    (a) Is ineligible to own, possess or receive a firearm under the provisions of state or federal law;
    (b) Is formally charged with a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one (1) year;
    (c) Has been adjudicated guilty in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one (1) year;
    (d) Is a fugitive from justice;
    (e) Is an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana o any depressant, stimulant or narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance as defined in 21 U.S.C. 802;
    (f) Is currently suffering or has been adjudicated as follows, based on substantial evidence:
    (i) Lacking mental capacity as defined in section 18-210, Idaho Code;
    (ii) Mentally ill as defined in section 66-317, Idaho Code;
    (iii) Gravely disabled as defined in section 66-317, Idaho Code; or
    (iv) An incapacitated person as defined in section 15-5-101(a), Idaho Code.
    (g) Is or has been discharged from the armed forces under dishonorable conditions;
    (h) Is or has been adjudicated guilty of or received a withheld judgment or suspended sentence for one (1) or more crimes of violence constituting a misdemeanor,
    unless three (3) years have elapsed since disposition or pardon has occurred prior to the date on which the application is submitted;
    (i) Has had entry of a withheld judgment for a criminal offense which would disqualify him from obtaining a concealed weapon license;
    (j) Is an alien illegally in the United States;
    (k) Is a person who having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his or her citizenship;

(l) Is under twenty-one (21) years of age;
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

it is a shall issue for 21 year olds and for 18-21 it is under discretion of the issuing authority.

You can talk to the Sheriff but from everything I know and how I read it you must be 21.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

(11) The sheriff of a county may issue a license to carry a concealed weapon to those individuals between the ages of eighteen (18) and twenty-one (21) years who in the judgment of the sheriff warrant the issuance of the license to carry a concealed weapon. Such issuance shall be subject to limitations which the issuing authority deems appropriate.

zrcogg, Thank you for pointing that out. I don't know how I missed that. I will add that to the Idaho Page. Thank you again.

Looks like you just have to talk to the Sheriff. It is not Shall Issue but you have a shot! Thanks Again!
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

VIP Member
    Well how about that, in the OP's first five posts he gets an "attaboy" from Gary.......

Color me jealous....

Welcome from the PRM and good luck!

Welcome from Memphis.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

thanks for the welcomes as well.

Stoveman, I have stated it many times in the past and will state it again. I could not do this without the assistance of people just like you, zrcogg, ironrouond, Qtip, Recon1342, archer51 and hundreds of other people just like you who send me information or give me a heads up on a law change etc etc. No person can do this by themselves. There is just to many things that impact the RKBA's that are difficult to see. This was just one of them. Thank You to everyone who has given me a heads up on changes.
    Recon1342 and Qtip like this.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

glad i was able to help. i come from massachusetts originally and the laws there make my head spin because there is so many of them
    Recon1342 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links