Thoughts on "gunning down" for summer.

This is a discussion on Thoughts on "gunning down" for summer. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Long time lurker, new poster. Before I begin, flame suit on. I am thick skinned so feel free to give any feedback you deem applicable. ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Thoughts on "gunning down" for summer.

Thoughts on "gunning down" for summer.

Long time lurker, new poster. Before I begin, flame suit on. I am thick skinned so feel free to give any feedback you deem applicable.

Bear with me, I get a bit wordy when I'm contemplating things like this.

In a long ago college class we were deep in discussion about the difference between correlation and causation. The example given was that based off of scientific data, ice cream sales went up at proportional rate to murders. The lesson was that ice cream sales did not CAUSE murder or vice versa, but they did correlate. Fast forward a few years and I am trying to decide on a summer firearm for concealed carry. This old discussion comes back to mind as well as the ramifications of it. We carry what we carry to be prepared for that VERY unlikely event that we will need to use what we have to defend people we care a great deal about. Apparently though, statistically speaking, violent crimes are more likely to happen in the warmer months, i.e., no cold to drive off the riff raff. That being the case, should we not "gun up" for summer?

That being said, I am a realist. We cannot all carry a full size service pistol 24-7 and a .380 is better than stern words if we need it. We all have to decide where in the great compromise we are comfortable living.

Where I landed at this point is currently a Glock 27 with a G22 spare mag and a 5 shot snubby as a backup. This is the smallest I am comfortable going. I am very interested in your thoughts on the matter.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Ironically, many of us "gun down" in the summer due to lesser ability to conceal.

I tend to carry what I'm currently training with. I was having a lot of fun with a snubby over the summer, so that's mostly what I carried last summer.

Although it's usually a Glock. Ugly, rust-resistant, reliable, compact capacity and light.
    DetChris likes this.

I carry a LCP in the summer and a S&W 9c in the fall months. Going to transition to the 9c next week probably.

I can conceal a full size Glock 22 in the summer with a t shirt that fits. It rides in a Crossbreed ST and hugs the body nicely. That's not what I always carry. I've gone down as small as a G26 or 27. The 22 is not UNcomfortable, but the 26/27 is MORE comfortable.

I don't see an need to gundown. A good fighting size pistol can be carried all year long if you have the right gear.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by bleys852 View Post

<snip>

That being said, I am a realist. We cannot all carry a full size service pistol 24-7 and a .380 is better than stern words if we need it. We all have to decide where in the great compromise we are comfortable living.

Where I landed at this point is currently a Glock 27 with a G22 spare mag and a 5 shot snubby as a backup. This is the smallest I am comfortable going. I am very interested in your thoughts on the matter.

Hey, listen, I understand what you are saying, but listen up.

In the HOTtest of days, I have, and CAN still conceal a 7.5" Ruger Super Blackhawk .44Mag with 2 extra reloads under a pair of levi cut-offs and a T-shirt.
    No one EVER knew I was carrying that kind of punch.

You can do whatever you WANT to do, just find a way.

I have found "misdirection" and deception my greatest allies! Wear something very attention-getting somewhere else on you body! That way, most humanoids will be attracted to THAT, rather than what you are concealing.

Just some advice from an old timer.

OR53
    "Only Saints and Warriors are allowed in my world now, and forever."
    OR53 1998

When its hot I pocket carry my LCP. When it is cooler I add a 9mm compact.

Go Seahawks!
    fredg53 likes this.

I carry a XD 9 mm service model all year long. I live in Houston, so jacket days are few and far between. I use the cross breed super tuck all year long and I tuck a T-shirt and shorts no problem. I don't like to switch guns for carry since I don't want to have to train with different platforms depending on what season it is. Of course in Houston we have all 4 seasons. Early summer, summer, late summer and Christmas.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Glock 17 PMR, AIWB, year round, one spare mag, a small fixed blade knife, a spyderco P'Kal, and a surefire E2D. On rare occasions, usually in summer, a PPS 9 with two 8 rd mags.

I pocket carry an LCR no matter the season. Occasionally I'll tool up with a few larger guns from my collection but not often.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

When I am dressing ultra light in summer I carry an LCP when I put on more clothes I still carry the LCP as a backup but add a larger caliber

So that's 25 rounds of .40 plus 5 .38's? I think you're well above most folks summer carry.

Personally I dress pretty much the same year round, so it has little impact on me. If one's going to do a lot of running or cycling they need something small, but I figure we have internal combustion engines, let's use 'em.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Interesting, I currently carry a subcompact Glock30 here in NC and A full size S&WM&P40 in the winter time, it doesn't start to get cold here consistently in NC until sometime in middle or late November. I agree here in the lower 48 crime(serious) does tend to increase in the warmer months but what is really interesting is I was looking at a some statics on the top ten most crime ridden large cities in America and I believe Anchorage Alaska was no.1 or 2, I would have never guess that because I thought it was cold as I don't know what up there.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    What you have described is commonly known as a conundrum.

Some people would call it a dilemma.

Some would use it as a opportunity to OC.
    Stoveman and Recon1342 like this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

GH
    I carried a FS M&P40 most of the summer & from then until now an M&P40C. I carry concealed & never have a problem with a T shirt or a sweat shirt or jacket in the cooler months. Lately since I got a couple of more FS mags I carry them in the compact with X-Grips a couple of times a week. I normally alternate between the FS & the compact. I can hardly tell the difference especially with the FS mag inserted. I always carry a spare mag, either from the compact or a full size one.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

If I can carry my G19 in shorts and a tshirt, why would I carry a smaller gun!?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links