Father Charged After 2-Year-Old Fatally Shoots Herself

This is a discussion on Father Charged After 2-Year-Old Fatally Shoots Herself within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Be Careful! (Although this guy doesn't sound the usual shooter, still...most tragic) Father charged after 2-year-old fatally shoots herself - CNN.com My question, how did ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Father Charged After 2-Year-Old Fatally Shoots Herself

Father Charged After 2-Year-Old Fatally Shoots Herself

Be Careful! (Although this guy doesn't sound the usual shooter, still...most tragic)

Father charged after 2-year-old fatally shoots herself - CNN.com

My question, how did this guy keep his Permit with his record?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Gee, a felon with a firearm, how did he manage to do that with all those background checks before you can buy one? Also NC is one of those states that REQUIRE a license to own a pistol. Good thing they have that in place to keep handguns out of the hands of "bad guys".
    Ghost1958, Buler and RETSUPT99 like this.

The father is a felon... So... not a "usual shooter" as in law abiding citizen with a gun or guns.

Often here, we talk about how if one of a group of perpetrators is shot, dead (by a home or self defender)... all the others should be charged with the murder of the expired cohort.

Whether a criminal or a law abiding citizen... if a child or other innocent is killed handling our firearm and it's not collateral damage in a SD shooting... or in any way related to SD.. .shouldn't we be as culpable as the thugs?

Ours is an "accident," sure... but really, no more so than perps "accidentally" targeting the "wrong house." We should not be above the law because of our carelessness or recklessness, should we?
    gatorbait51 and chandlerusm like this.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Worth knowing where your weapons are.
    Worth keeping control over all of your weapons.
    Worth appreciating the ramifications of unskilled/untutored sorts gaining control of your weapons.

Hindsight is 20:20, for this guy. Time to face the music.

Sad, that his lack of forethought has cost the life of a child and harm to the lives of many others.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    The father is a felon... So... not a "usual shooter" as in law abiding citizen with a gun or guns.

Often here, we talk about how if one of a group of perpetrators is shot, dead (by a home or self defender)... all the others should be charged with the murder of the expired cohort.

Whether a criminal or a law abiding citizen... if a child or other innocent is killed handling our firearm and it's not collateral damage in a SD shooting... or in any way related to SD.. .shouldn't we be as culpable as the thugs?

Ours is an "accident," sure... but really, no more so than perps "accidentally" targeting the "wrong house." We should not be above the law because of our carelessness or recklessness, should we?
    Camel's nose alert! By this standard where does your culpability end? If you have no children at home but truants break into your home and mishandle your weapon with tragic results are you responsible? If your collection is stolen by professional thieves and later turn up at various and sundry crime scenes are you responsible? Leave the gun out of it what if your vehicle,tools,medications or liquor is stolen and tragedy results shouldn't you pay?

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post

Yep we need to make sure there are as many chances we can be put in prison as possible. If a parent loses a child to that child dieing because he/she managed to lay hands on dads gun somehow trust the parent will be going through more hell than anyone else can put them through already. Be kinder to just shoot the parent too.

And of course if some adult in my house picks up a loaded gun I have not told them they could look at and shoot themselves by accident before I get it away from them then I of course should be put under a federal prision for the rest of my life.

If a BG accidently targets my house instead of the one he intended and I wound him then I of course should have my throat cut with a dull butcher knife. He didnt mean to be at my house after all.

If I loan a gun to a friend for hunting or SD and they kill themselves with it again I should be hung in the town square

Trust there are already plenty of DAs out there ready to pounce on any excuse to hammer anyone over anything they can come up with concerning a firearm.

I dont think we need to be suggesting more laws or tougher laws that again will do diddly but put more law abiding people in prison when they shouldnt be there.

Not trying to defend this one case but in the name of "responsibility" gun owners are more self flagellating than some radical priests who whip themselves because they sinned in their mind.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    Gee, a felon with a firearm, how did he manage to do that with all those background checks before you can buy one? Also NC is one of those states that REQUIRE a license to own a pistol. Good thing they have that in place to keep handguns out of the hands of "bad guys".
    Must be through one of those there gun show loopholes.
    Stoveman, gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.

VIP Member
    I'm guessing he will be wearing some bright orange jammies for a while....
    gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    Camel's nose alert! By this standard where does your culpability end? If you have no children at home but truants break into your home and mishandle your weapon with tragic results are you responsible? If your collection is stolen by professional thieves and later turn up at various and sundry crime scenes are you responsible? Leave the gun out of it what if your vehicle,tools,medications or liquor is stolen and tragedy results shouldn't you pay?
    In some cases, this is how the law works. I read of a case where a guy left his car running while he went to a deli to buy a sandwich. Some guys stole it and ran over some folks with it. Sandwich guy is charged with a crime, not sure what exactly.

That's a case where IMHO the guy should not have been charged, as he was the victim of a crime, and robbery of guns from one's home should also not make the victim guilty of the crime. But, leaving a dangerous weapon where a child can easily get at it is a different situation.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    Camel's nose alert! By this standard where does your culpability end?

1: If you have no children at home but truants break into your home and mishandle your weapon with tragic results are you responsible?

2: If your collection is stolen by professional thieves and later turn up at various and sundry crime scenes are you responsible?

3: Leave the gun out of it what if your vehicle,tools,medications or liquor is stolen and tragedy results shouldn't you pay?
    1: No, they were committing a felon by breaking in and touching a gun that did not belong to them.

2: No, they committed a felon and stole guns that were properly stored and locked up.

3: No, again. They committed the crimes, not my responsibility. I have no problem taking responsibility for any mistakes I might make, but crimes committed against me or others by others are not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    1: No, they were committing a felon by breaking in and touching a gun that did not belong to them.

2: No, they committed a felon and stole guns that were properly stored and locked up.

3: No, again. They committed the crimes, not my responsibility. I have no problem taking responsibility for any mistakes I might make, but crimes committed against me or others by others are not my responsibility.
    My point!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

The idea of my little ones finding a loaded gun and shooting themselves scares the crap out of me. I will never understand why someone, criminal or not, would put their firearm in a place where a little one could get a hold of it. Stupid, stupid stupid.
    gatorbait51 and chandlerusm like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    A license is required for purchase only not for ownership.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    A pamphlet containing this warning and a signed statement saying you received said pamphlet is required for any firearm LEGGALY purchased in North Carolina.

Naturally criminals are not required to comply.

Any retail or wholesale store that sells firearms shall conspicuously post at each purchase counter the following warning in block letters not less than one inch in height the phrase: ``IT IS UNLAWFUL TO STORE A FIREARM THAT CAN BE DISCHARGED IN A MANNER THAT A REASONABLE PERSON SHOULD KNOW IS ACCESSIBLE TO A MINOR.''
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

The father is 19? I thought that you had to be 21 to purchase or possess a handgun. Regardless, it's sad that a 2 year old is dead because of her fathers carelessness.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links