Honest CCL question

Honest CCL question

This is a discussion on Honest CCL question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been living in Mississippi for the last 12 years and haven't applied for my CCL. I had one in Alabama and know that ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Honest CCL question

Honest CCL question

I have been living in Mississippi for the last 12 years and haven't applied for my CCL. I had one in Alabama and know that it wouldn't be more in Mississippi than filling out some paperwork, paying for the license, and proving who I am and where I live. I have one nagging question that has kept me from applying the last 2 years. I am mega pro 2nd amendment and will never surrender my firearms. The events in the last few years and the constant crying from the uneducated liberals have me a little concerned about the Federal Government. Mississippi has stated that the CCL list in the state is NOT public information. In fact we have recently passed an open carry law to show how the majority feel down here. My nagging question is, what will the State Government do if the Feds "demand" to have the States list of CCL's? I am not paranoid at all, but I have already stated that I will never surrender my firearms to ANYBODY. I can't see the police department, Sheriffs office, or the State police collecting, in fact I can't see the Military collecting weapons from American citizens on American soil. The military has sworn to protect the Constitution against all enemies foreign and DOMESTIC! I can however see the Feds ie DHS trying to collect known firearms. Do you think the States will do what's right and tell the Feds that they lost that list and don't have it anymore, or will they cave in to the pressure the Feds could bring by cutting off Federal monies to the state? I have been told that this forum is the one to have rational discussions on, so let's discuss.

Elapid---<
    rcsoftexas likes this.

Katrina, nuff said about who will collect what on a city level. I dont think a nation wide collection is possible though. Wife had the same questions about getting hers this past weekend and had put it off for several years because of it.

I know tons that wont get a CCL here because of going on paper here in Ky when one can be armed with no papers permits or records at all legally by buying privately and no CCDW.

. But wife figured she was marked anyway because I have had mine since it was made legal here to CC. Knowing what I know now not sure I would have done it though back then. Too late now though that horse left the barn already.
    rcsoftexas and Aceoky like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Elapid View Post
    My nagging question is, what will the State Government do if the Feds "demand" to have the States list of CCL's?

I can't see the police department, Sheriffs office, or the State police collecting, in fact I can't see the Military collecting weapons from American citizens on American soil. The military has sworn to protect the Constitution against all enemies foreign and DOMESTIC! I can however see the Feds ie DHS trying to collect known firearms. Do you think the States will do what's right and tell the Feds that they lost that list and don't have it anymore, or will they cave in to the pressure the Feds could bring by cutting off Federal monies to the state?
    People tend to get fairly motivated (softened) when they're denied the ability to feed themselves. Plenty have already shown themselves fully willing to execute such presumed unlawful orders ... whether it be for breaking up peaceful demonstrations, confiscating this or that, or whatever. The changes recently in many states are heartening along the lines of the 2A. But never forget that the states themselves are almost all implementers of unconstitutional infringements as well. It's endemic. No telling where the line will be drawn, if basically any and all infringement is considered kosher and just. Confiscation in times of emergency can be easily justified by many ... statutes prohibiting such behavior or not. You never know what someone's prepared to do when threatened with failure to feed his family (aka, being sacked "for cause").
    Hoganbeg, rcsoftexas and phreddy like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    It would most likely be carried out as a law passed, (unconstitutionally of course) which would mandate all types of this caliber, this shot, this type of action(semi auto lever, pump etc) would be illegal to have.
    Then once you are found with a weapon on the blacklist, off to the hoosegow you go.
    rcsoftexas likes this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

I guess as I see it, having the license doesn't mean they know what guns you have, it just means you're a person very likely to have a gun. Which they probably know already.

Besides, they just spent three years making an insurance registration website that can't collect people's information when they WANT to give it. I'm not impressed by their data collection abilities. It's government - telling them something is probably the best way to make sure they don't know it.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

Captain Bellamy

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Really, there is no way of knowing the answer to that question. Talk is cheap. It's only when the pressure is brought to bear that we can see who has the strength of his convictions.
    rcsoftexas and phreddy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    Really, there is no way of knowing the answer to that question. Talk is cheap. It's only when the pressure is brought to bear that we can see who has the strength of his convictions.

Exactly the sentiment and wisdom behind the Gadsden flag ... for all the same reasons we're discussing.

Motivations can be powerful. The "ultimate" motivation can be equally powerful, that of the citizen resisting abuse of his liberties.
    Ghost1958, rcsoftexas and Aceoky like this.

I wouldn't worry about it. The Feds already know you've got guns. Despite assurances to the contrary, every legal purchase of firearms is being recorded for posterity aka "registration."

Yeah, I know, they assure us they don't do that. It's not "legal."

Since when has "legality" have anything to do with what the Federal government does? As long as they feel they won't get caught, they'll do it.

In the scheme of things, whether or not you have a CCL is small taters.
    Glock1978, Mr B and rcsoftexas like this.
    Don't try to be fancy. Shoot for the center of mass. The world is full of decent people. Criminals we can do without. -- Jeff Cooper (19202006)

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it. The Feds already know you've got guns. Despite assurances to the contrary, every legal purchase of firearms is being recorded for posterity aka "registration."

Since when has "legality" have anything to do with what the Federal government does? As long as they feel they won't get caught, they'll do it.

Disagree, and agree. In most states, not all lawful sales are required to be on-radar types via FFL shops, as private transactions are not criminalized. Though as you suggest, in the end it won't matter much whether one's been tracked via one method or another, to the governing few who've shown precious little compunction to ignore constitutionality or legality when pressed.

But the fact remains that in a situation like that, where the hired staff attempts to disarm the owners and operators (we, the People), then that is going to be the time when remaining heavily armed will be most important. To all of us.
    Mr B, rcsoftexas, Aceoky and 2 others like this.

VIP Member
    Any purchase through a FFL is on record on a national basis. Privates sales in most states aren't.

As to states giving up the information, on who has a carry permit. If it is in a computer data base the Fed's already have it, if they want it.

I don't worry about it, many more important things to worry about.
    rcsoftexas likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Sponsor
    Heck, lately they don't even care if they will get caught!
    Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post

OP,
    License, no license... If your going to worry about "Someone" knowing you've got guns, do you really think it'll make an difference if have a state record? Just being on this forum is a tag that you are a gun owner. If you start worrying about it you'll wind up going bonkers.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

VIP Member
    Look at it this way - your scenario is such a departure from the current status quo that you would have to be blind to not see it coming and be without ample time to secure your weapons.

That scenario is also highly unlikely, even with the current administration, and so fraught with danger from an enforcement standpoint that I would place it on my list of minor concerns. Join the NRA and/or GOA, vote, etc. We'll keep them.
    Yetiman likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

I am not paranoid at all, but I have already stated that I will never surrender my firearms to ANYBODY. I can't see the police department, Sheriffs office, or the State police collecting, in fact I can't see the Military collecting weapons from American citizens on American soil. The military has sworn to protect the Constitution against all enemies foreign and DOMESTIC! I can however see the Feds ie DHS trying to collect known firearms. Do you think the States will do what's right and tell the Feds that they lost that list and don't have it anymore, or will they cave in to the pressure the Feds could bring by cutting off Federal monies to the state?
    In my humble opinions;
    It is hard not to sound paranoid just like it is hard not to sound like a liberal. You do not sound paranoid or liberal. I fear the same things and am neither either. This discussion raised a good point I had not considered as far as being on a list for the wrong reasons. Hard for me to admit but in early years I allowed my CHL (in Texas it is a Concealed Handgun License) to expire. I along with My wife and oldest daughter are going to take the CHL class. On one hand it makes me wonder if they should. The answer is that I would rather they be on a list and have the means to protect themselves rather than give up that legal right due to a government that desperately attempts instills fear in those that choose to be lawful abiding citizens with the ability to thwart a single act of injustice that would otherwise effect their lives and the lives of innocent law abiding American human beings around them. This is one reason why we choose to be law abiding American citizens, is it not? This is also why we are faced with and undeniably threatened with certain forms of tyranny making us feel paranoid and labeled such.

I really do not like using labels but sometimes it is difficult not to. IMHO,part of Okingee care is absolutely a beginning to the disarming of Americans through the data collection that one day will be turned into a bad, up to date, list and then used for this very purpose.

The States sadly will almost always cave to the money supply. In my heart and mind I can pick the states that will give into tyranny in numeriacl order and I also feel a few certain number of states never will. God bless Texas as being one of them. Yes its hot here in the summer but there is always room for it to get a little hotter.

I am 100% with you, If anyone wishes to take my weapon, they will have to pry it out of my cold dead hands.

This is my favorite topic so far here. Thanks for starting it Elapid. Hope you don't mind but I am going to break it down into a few more along the way.
    Elapid likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    OP I see your point but to not get a CCL because you are worried they will know you have a gun is not a good reason IMO. They already have a good idea I have guns because of background checks when I bought new guns and also because I buy a hunting license every year.

If you are really worried about them knowing you have firearms then buy a boat. It seems like someone on this forum loses all their weapons in a boating accident on a weekly basis.
    rcsoftexas and ShooterGranny like this.

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Well, they can come looking, but sadly I lost all of my guns in a freak boating accident.
    rcsoftexas and BenGoodLuck like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links