Hard Decision - Won't be carrying much anymore

This is a discussion on Hard Decision - Won't be carrying much anymore within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As many here know, I have been carrying discreetly against my employer's policy for quite some time (please, let's not go there). However, my wife ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Hard Decision - Won't be carrying much anymore

Unhappy Hard Decision - Won't be carrying much anymore

As many here know, I have been carrying discreetly against my employer's policy for quite some time (please, let's not go there). However, my wife and I recently had a talk about this. If I ever actually used one of my firearms while on company time, I would be fired...and worse, blacklisted in my industry AND be without health insurance.

The latter is especially important, as my young daughter suffers from health issues that require lots of therapy and numerous doctors. If I was fired and found another job in a different industry, the health insurance company would have to cover her (based on the new laws), but the trick they are using for people with "pre existing conditions" is to hit you with huge (5 figure) deductibles. This is also the reason I can't just go and "find another job" where I am allowed to carry.

What this all means is that, financially speaking, my family would be better off with me dead. At least I have a decent amount of life insurance...

So, during the work week, my guns are going to stay home. For those who think micro .380s are puny...let me tell you...they feel a whole lot better than the alternatives.

I won't be completely unarmed. I will still have a bright light, a small folding knife (for opening boxes of course), and OC spray. The latter item is also against company policy, but I suspect that if I ever used it, they wouldn't even know (I work in the field, not at the corporate office). If they did find out, I imagine the consequences would be less severe than outright termination. I also have a ballistic insert in my briefcase, so I at least have a level of passive defense there.

I will still carry when at home, and on the weekends. But I gotta say...it ain't the same.

The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I am so sorry that you have been forced to make this decision. Your reasons are extremely valid and understandable. Finding a different job now with the economy so horrendous is not an option for hundreds of thousands of people.

Our prayers for your safety go with you as you do the work you must do to take care of those you love.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

It sucks but I'm in a similar boat.

I also can't / don't carry at work but I do carry to work and from work. Oklahoma law prevents an employeer from preventing me to do so.

For your oc spray get one that says for dogs like the PO uses at least you have a valid excuse

VIP Member
    Life isn't always fair, to be sure. Good luck with the tough choices.
    gatorbait51 and atctimmy like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    It sucks but I'm in a similar boat.
    X3

Similar boat sailing similar water.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

I think that you have made the right choice. I fully understand the need/want to carry all the time while being legal to do so. But like you said, you current situation keeps everything good for you and your family. Thanks for sharing.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    The latter is especially important, as my young daughter suffers from health issues that require lots of therapy and numerous doctors. If I was fired and found another job in a different industry, the health insurance company would have to cover her (based on the new laws), but the trick they are using for people with "pre existing conditions" is to hit you with huge (5 figure) deductibles. This is also the reason I can't just go and "find another job" where I am allowed to carry.
    I'm curious where you heard this. I'm not saying it's untrue, it's just different from what I've heard. You might have more options than you think out there.
    gatorbait51 and Hopyard like this.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Man that sucks.
    At least you have some level of protection. I take it your in a company vechile?

VIP Member
    As we know being a Dad and Husband we all have to make tough choices and decisions for the sake of family . I respect your decision and understand .

Best to you and your family . And good health to your Daughter .
    9mmjoy and Christopher67 like this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    You gotta do what you gotta do.I worked with one of the Dupont plants for almost 32 yrs.The parking lot wasn't fenced in, but the plant was.Obviously they didn't check vehicles.That said,if you were to ever get caught with a gun or a bullet on you inside the plant,it was automatic termination.
    The pay and the health insurance was way to good to even think about having a firearm on me once i got inside the plant.I don't blame the OP one bit.
    NONAME762 likes this.

I am likewise in a similar situation, as I am sure a lot of people are. I keep a cans of wasp & hornet spray handy in the field. Sprays 30 feet or more somewhat accurately and effective.

A woman at work (who also has her CCL) was asking about pepper spray one day and I mentioned the whole shelf of wasp spray in our stock room. The next week everyone in our shop had it in their kit, and I know at least one service tech has used it successfully to ward off an attacker.
    brocktice and Christopher67 like this.
    NRA Life Member

Sounds like a good idea. OC works well and gives you distance to get away. Some H2H skills help too and is a lot of fun.

Guns IMO are a tool with a goal to protect you and those you care about not a magic talisman.

If I can slide away without any hassles I will and prefer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Sorry to hear that, and I hate to break it to you, but with such restrictive policies, I have no doubt that if you used a firearm for SD even off premises off work hours they'd still find a way to terminate and blacklist you.

You should try and find different employment. After all you said the alternative is that you're better off dead. That's no way to live.
    NONAME762 likes this.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links