Which gun?

Which gun?

This is a discussion on Which gun? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yes, I know, there are thousands of choices and no one solution works for everyone, but I just wanted to ask for some opinions. I'm ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which gun?

Which gun?

Yes, I know, there are thousands of choices and no one solution works for everyone, but I just wanted to ask for some opinions.

I'm considering buying my first pistol (I've been shooting since I was 6, I'm 21 now) as soon as I make enough money (even 10 dollars an hour isn't so much when you work 20 hours a week and go to college...) and I'm having a hell of a time deciding what I want.

I figure I want to get a CCW, whether or not I plan on carrying (which depends on what kind of gun I buy).

My first choice is an XD45. I had never really considered getting an XD until very recently. Preferably I'd like a traditional SA/DA but I'm willing to compromise.

My other choices are a Baby Eagle 9mm or maybe a used P226.

Neither one of these would be suitable for CC in my case... I'd just get them because my family doesn't own any modern high-cap pistols.

But seeing as how the new XD45 compact came out I can't decide whether to get the Compact and use it for CC or just get the full size and use it for home protection and target shooting, and MAYBE CC if I deem it suitable.

The big selling point is that using the magazine spacers makes it look and handle almost identical to the full-sized XD... but I don't know, full-size autos are just...cooler :D

Also, since I don't know much at all about CC, I was wondering what sort of solution would be best for someone who normally wears t-shirts and pants with no belt, and can't afford to print. Using my toy 1911, the only feasible way of practical, feasible way of concealment to me seems like it would be on the side, with JUST the right angle to make it not stick out either in the butt (muzzle) or the front (grip). And that's assuming I'm not wearing a tucked-in shirt (which I'm not usually but I do occasionally, in which case I don't know what I'd do).

I've only shot a 45 once before (a mid-sized Kimber IIRC) and strangely enough I though it was easier to shoot than my families SW Mod 39 (which is kind of a nightmare in terms of shootability). We don't own any .45s so that's one of the reasons I'd like a 45 (besides the obvious), although I'd still consider the XD9 seeing as how you can modify M92 magazines to use with it...

I have a XD .45 full size tactical. If I were to do it again I would get the "compact". The only difference as I understand it is that the grip is shorter. The 13 round XDs have a grip that is longer than most full sized autos to accomodate the extra ammo. The compact hold 10 rounds with a more normal length grip. If you want the full 13 rounds you can get a 13 round mag with a grip extention. Basically the "compact" XD .45acp is the size of a normal full sized pistol. I have the 13 round tactical and it's a great shooting pistol and has been 100% reliable but it is a BIG gun.

If you like a full size pistol in a DA/SA format and are on a budget I would recomend the Ruger P-95. Its a 9mm with a polymer frame. I have one and it's a very reliable accurate pistol. I paid $325 for mine and have seen them for as low as $299 since. It's the only full sized pistol that I regularly carry.

By the way, welcome to the forum!
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

XDX
    +1 on the XD45
    I have two of them and am selling 1 LNIB
    PM if you're interested.

Welcome to the forum. You should go to a gun distributor or show and pick up every gun you can. We all have opinions for the best pistol but only you will be able to decide which lucky gun to bring home. 45 doesn't kick hard at all in a decent gun but can become expensive to shoot. I am also in college and opted for the 9mm. I can get a heck of a lot more practice because ammo is a lot cheaper(something I wished I had thought about when I bought a .40 last year). More practice = better time and skills. I also would go with the compact. When I started packing every single gun I looked at seemed way too clunky. You can always use a compact to defend the home but a bigger gun will always be a pain to carry around.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Lead Moderator
    a 4" barrelled gun is a good compromise of concealment and accuracy/ less recoil. finding what fits your hand best as well as working all the controls should be why you pick which gun to get.
    Try a search for tuckable holsters, check out some of the holster makers here. Try to shoot as many of the guns you like as possible.
    BTW, I carried a Full size HK USP .40 for a year CCWing. big guns can be carried, but may not be a comfortable as smaller guns.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

First of all, welcome to the forum!

You'll get a ton of advice here...and it will likely be widely ranging based on the broad nature of your comments.

Here are my thoughts.

First of all, settle on the purpose of the gun. Once you know what you want to use it for, the field narrows, making the choice easier.

Next, don't write off using a smaller pistol for home, target, and carry. For example, I carry a Glock 26, use it for home protection, and even compete in IDPA. Since it's a 9mm the ammo is not all that expensive for practice, and from my point of view has the ballistics to serve well for self-defense.

Finally, have a budget. Then, when you choose the gun, holster, sights, magazines, and all the goodies you may want, you'll know what you have to work with. It's sad to see someone buy that nice pistol they wanted, but not be able to afford all the other accessories or even the ammo to enjoy it.

Good luck with your venture--some of the greatest fun is the hunt that leads up to the purchase....
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

First of all, welcome to the forum. I am also a student and work at several bars as a bouncer to make money for my hobbies. I personally carry a Springfield Armory 1911A1 GI, but would not feel under gunned with the XD .45. It is wider than a 1911, but many people on this forum swear by them and conceal them everyday. G'luck on your search.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

+1 on the XD. I do not own the 45, however one of my CCW's is a XD Service 40, and it is very easy to carry, and is also very comfortable.
    As far as your issue on how to carry, i have found that trial and error has worked well for me, I tried IWB, OWB, Shoulder Holster, SOB, OWB Cross draw, and tried all of this in my home and figured out what was comfortable, what had the least ammount of printing ect... and when I found the right fit for me, I went with it.
    Just my .02
    Hope this Helps
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."

"You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a
    large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

9mm is cheaper to shoot so if you are on a budget that is something to consider.

I like the XD and almost got one, but there were too many issues with corrosion on blued version and I wanted a SS one which I couldn't find. I would not buy a plastic pistol, compact, in .45, IMHO. It would be too much for me to control and successive shots wouldn't be accurate. However, that is something for you to deal with and that just depends on the individual. Plenty of people carry small .45's on here and love them.

I recently bought a S&W M&P and love it. It is sorta like a modern day Glock. Glock also makes a good pistol.

You said, "But seeing as how the new XD45 compact came out I can't decide whether to get the Compact and use it for CC or just get the full size and use it for home protection and target shooting, and MAYBE CC if I deem it suitable. "

If I were you I would go with a compact and it would solve both your problems (CC and home protection). If funds free up then go with a full size at that time.

If you are considering XD's I would also consider a:
    Glock 19/26 (this is 9mm, but you can get what caliber you want in those sizes)
    S&W M&P (they make a compact in different calibers)
    Walther P99c (range of calibers)

There are many others but these are all good reliable pistols that are big names, within a few bucks of what you are looking at, and which you won't have trouble finding holsters, mags, service, etc. with.

Like others said, go look at a bunch. Don't make your mind up too prematurely, especially if you are on a budget. Go rent some if you can. $30 in range rentals may prevent a few hundred dollar mistake.
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I'd advise the same as above in regards to handling characteristics....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Banken, you are on a tight budget and I offer you a quality pistol for CCW at a price you can afford. What is it? I recommend my carry gun and it is a Bersa Thunder 45; it isn't glamerous and it doesn't have a Mystique but it offers a lot of value for the price. The Bersa Thunder 45 is reliable, accurate, compact, and lightweight. I have tried a lot of handguns for carry and none has been any better. Regards, Richard

Bersa Thunder 45:

I'd say there's about a 70% chance I never actually carry the first gun I buy (because it's going to be a full-size pistol more than likely). But there's a 100 percent chance I'll be blowing holes in paper and probably a 75% chance I'll do some sort of match... some day (tactical reloads are my speciality...lol).

At the place I'm working (albiet only temporarily) there's a weapons policy (meaning none) but whether or not a CCL keeps me from getting fired is not something I really feel like asking about.

I've held the P226, P99 (well, an SW99, and I own a toy P99), and Baby Eagle, and I think they all feel great. I like the feel of Glocks OK too (but I'm not in the mood for a double action, and I'd probably just get a 17 instead, and from what I hear the XD is marginally better than Glock anyway, not to mention cheaper). But I haven't shot any of these pistols.

Handling, looks, features (configuration) and performance are all very important (...looks might actually be #1...lol).

Which is to say I pick a gun the same way I would pick a girlfriend...hahaha

As for recoil, I personally don't think the .44 mag has all that much recoil, so a .45 automatic is the least of my worries.

I would love a P99 (which is bloody small for a full-capacity 9mm), but they're 1. expensive 2. the new ones are ugly 3. Half the ones on the market are puke green or DAO (or as I like to call it, DOA).

I might just go off and buy an AK or a Garand for plinking instead...lol (gotta be prepared for the zombies :P) (since I don't have any military rifles in my collection yet)

(or I might just spend the money I get on car parts...)

"As for recoil, I personally don't think the .44 mag has all that much recoil, so a .45 automatic is the least of my worries."

Banken, based on the above I recant my suggestion of a Bersa Thunder 45acp. Why? You say a 44 Mag, with full loads, is a pussycat. You are ready for a S&W M329; this 26 oz. 44 Mag is just the thing for you.

Regards,

Richard

S&W Model 329

Hahaha... And here I was thinking a 1911 was hard enough to conceal :D

To be honest I get the feeling that it wasn't a heavy load (I only shot one once).

I have an XD 45 GAP and I'll tell you I love it. Very accurate, reliable, ergonomic, and economic. But you need to line up all your choices and see what fits your hand and shooting style.
    Last edited by Potzy; December 7th, 2006 at 03:24 PM.
    When in doubt.... empty the magazin.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links