Airsoft good or bad for kids ??? i AM TORN

This is a discussion on Airsoft good or bad for kids ??? i AM TORN within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am posting ths after reading a current thread here of the teen being shot by police it got me thinking. I had never heard ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Airsoft good or bad for kids ??? i AM TORN

I am posting ths after reading a current thread here of the teen being shot by police it got me thinking.
    I had never heard of airsoft until about 5 years ago whe I met my now wife and stepsons. First these kids had not been taught much gun safety they swept everyone and everything. Me being blind in one eye already did not appreciate it at all. I took this opportunity to teach them the basics and make it a lesson. Of course they then thought they were experts and wanted to go hunting and the range with me. I let them know I would be watching them and if they handled the toys with respect and proper safety I would consider.
    Well they did well then got lazy so I had to take the guns several times and they got the point.
    I do worry how they act when I am not around but even now they are of age. I think a big problem is that these same kids are playing violent video games all the time and then parents who have no clue buy them these very real looking toys and are not even able to educate their kids about respecting guns and safety,
    When I was a kid yes I had bb guns my first gun was a .22/20ga over under I think in like 4th r 5th grade. I had shot .22 younger but when I got my own first gun I will nver forget that HUGE BOOM of the 20ga and my dad letteing me know how much damage that can do.
    I know this is a long post but opionons please. I feel they can be a tool to teach some safety but I also feel they get too comforatble with an non lethal toy then when it is time for the real thing they do not have a much respect

I had airsoft guns and played "violent" video games as a kid and I came out alright.

I also had great parents who interacted with me, took interest in what I did and were always there for me when I needed them.

Therein lies the answer.
    British by birth. American by choice.

I (personally) would not introduce anybody to airsoft or any other force on force system until gun safety was completely ingrained in their mind. I think you'll end up teaching them bad habits at a time when they should be observing the Four Rules religiously.
    Paco23 likes this.

Toy guns are for shooting each other, real guns are not. I think being a parent is huge. I had a BB gun, made imaginary guns out of PVC pipe, potatoe guns, shot bows and arrows and have no desire to be a sociopath, or harm anyone.

Being a parent and instilling values and responsibility is more about people than objects.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I guess I don't see the connection between gun safety and air soft. My son, now 18, played air soft with his friends as a pre-teen and typically they were shooting each other. I had no problem with this as long as they wore eye protection. Today his concept of safety with real guns is just as healthy as mine. He has/had no problem confusing the 2 formats (air soft vs. lead). I'm sure this may vary with individuals.

Once a kid has proven he/she has the mental acuity and responsibility to safely handle and use firearms, then I can see such a kid being one who has an AirSoft gun, pellet gun, .22LR rifle or similar. But not until then. Depends on the kid, the parenting. Every kid will be different, in that respect.

As others have suggested: not until gun safety/handling procedures are a part of the person, no exceptions. Not until then, not unattended and unsupervised.

And, beyond basic competence and maturity, there's what others think and can cause to happen. Such as, when toying around in a space others don't expect such toying around. It's not the 1960's anymore, and in many places this isn't an aspect that can be ignored. Have kids unsupervised who are shooting cans in the field in many states, and you'll get approving nods from passersby. But do the same thing elsewhere, and you'll be getting a call from the sheriff's station asking to come get your kid (or worse).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Adult supervision required. Be the adult.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    I had airsoft guns and played "violent" video games as a kid and I came out alright.

I also had great parents who interacted with me, took interest in what I did and were always there for me when I needed them.

Therein lies the answer.
    Me too and still do the violent video games and airsoft.

OP, Airsoft can be a lot of fun and a good learning tool as well. Maybe its time for you to gear up and have some fun yourself.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    There really isn't a pat answer for your question. It will vary from child to child. Depending on their maturity level, how well they pay attention to what they're told to do/not do.

They need to understand and appreciate that while not a "real" gun, it can still injure someone. They need to know that under no circumstances should they remove the orange tip from it. Most important thing of all, if a LEO tells them to put it down, they immediately let it drop to the ground. No hesitation, no arguing about it and definitely DO NOT point it at them.
    surefire7 and BamaT like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

As the OP. I TOTALY agree parenting is the key in everything these days. I have shot airsoft with them even have my own 1911 lol it is fun. I just worry about those who never get any training. As for video games these days I know I am an old 45 but I hate them. Vidoe games nowdays with the online interaction is sad. Too many kids refer to people they never met from 2000 miles away as friends. Anyway just my opinion. I would rather have them be outside playing airsoft then in their rooms screaming at each other like idiots playing a fake game.
    CCIE33560 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    i never owned any video game system but i did own a bunch of air soft guns as a kid. as well as M80s and spud guns. my buddies and i shot at each other with all sorts of non lethal projectiles. BBs, air soft, roman candles, you name it. today we still have all our fingers and non of us have committed mass murder. only thing i would recommend is eye protection.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    Don't buy Chinese Food at an Italian Restaurant.

If you want to buy your kid a toy, buy him a toy and let him play with it as a toy. Don't expect it to be a training aid for a real world grown up item.

If your kid is ready to learn to safely handle a firearm, get a real firearm and teach with a real firearm.

Don't confuse toys and real stuff.

Don't confuse games with real life, or movies scenes with real life.

Help your child keep the real and the fiction/fantasy separate.
    Alex_C, ccw9mm and Paco23 like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Overall I think toys are toys and there's nothing wrong with Airsoft. But I would be pretty careful with giving a kid/letting them have one that looks like a real gun. The cops aren't gonna dig too deep; if it looks gunlike your kid might get shot.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

To the OP.... You came in "after" the airsoft. My son was taught with a .22 rifle at a young age. He saw what a small caliber could do, and learned respect for firearms. Then he got into the airsoft "game". He knew the difference and wore his protective gear during airsoft "wars". I hope you can get yours to understand the difference between a toy (dangerous) and a true firearm. I think Hopyard said it best.

Keep at them! I'm sure you can achieve the desired results. :-)

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    You can put an eye out with those things!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links