My Great Fear And What Would You Do In The Following Sitaution?:

This is a discussion on My Great Fear And What Would You Do In The Following Sitaution?: within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My greatest fear is being robbed or worse is by a number of perps. I friend told me these stories of being mugged in New ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: My Great Fear And What Would You Do In The Following Sitaution?:

My Great Fear And What Would You Do In The Following Sitaution?:

My greatest fear is being robbed or worse is by a number of perps. I friend told me these stories of being mugged in New York City in the early 80s, when NYC was crime-filled. I actually lived near him but at the time but then we did not know each other. I occasionally now am in New York for long periods, but live elsewhere and in the same place my now friend does. I lived in NYC in the 80s in the crack capital of he country, Washington Heights, northern Manhattan, but never had trouble. My friend did but he wasn't shot or knifed, still:

This is NYC so transplant it somewhere else because we wouldn't own guns there (though on the subway late at night I would have loved to have had a machine gun.) New York is now the safest of all major cities but it sure wasn't then, scary people on those late-night trains. UGH!

I have many health problems so can't physically do much if attacked and can't run fast or far. I am 66, small and thin too. So my gun or pepper spray or combat light plus is it. My friend, on a subway late at night, was approached by a group of guys who demanded his money.
    He said "I don't have any" (He didn't he was poor). Immediately one of them punched him really hard in his ear area. They left. His ear-drum blew out and he has been deaf in that ear since and has tinnitus somehow since in the good one.

Another mugging, don't know where, think in the street, same thing group who took his wallet. No money in it. A slam to his eye, all swelled etc but no permanent damage, he was knocked out though.

Last time, same thing, but they just left when they saw he had no money.

So, at close quarters in a street or train if suddenly a group of BGs surrounded me I'd have my gun but how would I (or you) get all those people without just being attacked and disarmed by the rest. I can't physically do anything. What would you do, specially in confined area, like a lot of people on street where you can be approached from the rear by a group of bad ones, or in a train etc.

Besides, my friend was never hurt critically or shot, knifed etc. So if he was in a place he could have a gun and shot say two of them would that be a legal horror? Doesn't seem it would but don't know for sure. in no case were weapons shown by the perps.

Thanks for any feedback

NOTE: I don't live in NYC now, the muggings were an example from there of the situation I focus on for where I do live and can have and do have guns. AND: I'm not a detective. That comes from one of my favorite guns: a Colt Detective.
    Last edited by detective; October 25th, 2013 at 03:19 AM.

2. Remove Ads

Lets see you go by DETECTIVE,so what kinda Detective are you,an LEO,if you're an LEO and you don't know the answer to that question the people of NY are really screwed
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

you dont need weapons to kill someone, so no weapons have to be present, but imediate threat of death or bodily harm must be present. Legal reprecussions will vary from state to state if you defend yourself, means of defense and status of the perp you defended against will also affect legal repercussions.

In my minds eye, I cant see a prosecuter going after an old man who shot someone who was mugging them.. but there are some pretty messed up people in "power" who would to try to press the issue.

so what it really boils down too, is would you rather be dead or in court?
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Lets see you go by DETECTIVE,so what kinda Detective are you,an LEO,if you're an LEO and you don't know the answer to that question the people of NY are really screwed
    not helpful at all. :(
    detective likes this.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Avoid NYC--problem solved.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Lets assume you are ex police you are luckly you can carry a gun anywhere and I belive pack more then 7 rounds. If not my advice dont got to NYC when you can NY permits are not good there .

I used to live in a big city famous for flash mobs and I think unarmed muggers in group are best handle with large fog pepper spray. Well if armed then you should have a fear for your life and reason to defend youselfe. Course if you are stuck with 7 rounds I carry the biggest caliber you can in 7 round and a couple of mags .

In a subway train, try to sit or stand against a wall or in a corner where no one can get behind you.

If you are outnumbered at close range, and use your gun, one of two things will happen:

You will shoot one or two and the rest will run (most likely)

Or - You will shoot one or two and the rest will stomp you to death, take your gun, and shoot you with it for good measure (not as likely).

As far as legal justification - being outnumbered, especially if you have health issues, is reason enough for a "reasonable person" to "fear gross bodily harm or death." That is the legal standard for justification of lethal force in self defense just about everywhere. Feet and fists can be quite deadly, especially when you are outnumbered. They do not necessarily need to have a weapon to justify lethal force in response in such a case. This legal concept is called "disparity of force." Your friend certainly suffered "gross bodily harm."

Note - I am not an attorney. I strongly encourage you to get some training. The Armed Citizen's Legal Defense Network (see my sig) gives you several good training DVDs with membership. I have been a member since very early on.

Hope this helps!
    maxwell97 and detective like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Seriously? The problem and solution is self evident.

You have free will and a choice where to reside and dwell even if you're an unemployed street person. What chains do you bare that holds you to such? I was in a situation such as yours and my answer didn't require a forum opinion, move!

Spare me the nonsense about your job, family, etc. tying you down. If you're serious about your safety, first look at getting to a place that's not crime riddled and you're allowed to protect yourself, simple. If I did it, anyone can do it.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

I'm not a detective. That comes from one of my favorite guns: a Colt Detective.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    Seriously? The problem and solution is self evident.

You have free will and a choice where to reside and dwell even if you're an unemployed street person. What chains do you bare that holds you to such? I was in a situation such as yours and my answer didn't require a forum opinion, move!

Spare me the nonsense about your job, family, etc. tying you down. If you're serious about your safety, first look at getting to a place that's not crime riddled and you're allowed to protect yourself, simple. If I did it, anyone can do it.

No. - TO ALL: I don't live in NYC, the muggings were an example from there of the situation I focus on. If those situations happened where now I live and can have and do have guns - what would you do as per the conditions noted in my Thread Post. AND: I'm not a detective. That comes from one of my favorite guns: a Colt Detective.

Thanks
    Last edited by detective; October 25th, 2013 at 03:10 AM.
    10thmtn likes this.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    thugs who mug people in groups are cowards, they are unlikely to proceed after they encounter resistance, especially effective armed resistance. even armed robbers tend to flee after bullets start flying, especially if one of their cohorts get shot. if an robbery was in progress then i would draw and prepare to fire from retention, if i see a weapon the prep will be shot, whoever sticks around will be shot next.

but really avoidance and deterrence is the best tactic, let them know you are on to them before they get too close.
    detective likes this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    that's what i thought too but a few weeks ago he stated in another thread that he was a professor if i remember it right.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    The truth is NONE OF US, alone, by ourselves has much of a chance against an ambush. You're 1-2 timeslices behind the 8-ball in any attack (OODA loop).

That's why you do everything you can to avoid such situations. It's not that hard to 'not be a target'. The next thing is to try and partner up. Are you living alone? If so, the only other option is to get an 'assist dog' who will protect you and that comes with its own set of problems.

If you've done everything else - live in a relatively safe area, don't go out at night, don't drink, go to bars, avoid stupid stuff, evade and deescalate, then your chances of being mugged are probably lower than being hit by lightning.

Good luck!
    detective likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post

No TO ALL: I don't live in NYC, the muggings were an example from there of the situation I focus on. If those situations happened where now I live and can have and do have guns - what would you do as per the conditions noted in my Thread Post. AND: I'm not a detective. That comes from one of my favorite guns: a Colt Detective.

Thanks

Rumor has it you're a Detective, any truth to that?
    farsidefan1 likes this.

Personally, my feeling is: do what it takes to survive unharmed. If I don't have to shoot, great, i won't; if I believe that I DO have to shoot, I'll shoot, and hope for the best in court. Unfortunately it can be hard to exercise judgment in a dangerous situation, but what else can you do? There's no magic formula, and defending my actions in court is a much better result than being beaten to death.

As for the gang, I tend to think the most likely response to one member getting shot is that the rest run away. If not, you're in trouble, but then you were in trouble anyway if you had to shoot. However many rounds you have, make them count.
    detective likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links