Need some Mississippi advice

This is a discussion on Need some Mississippi advice within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was reading up on MS laws, and it says that a sign is all that is needed to keep CCW's out of businesses. QUOTE: ...

Thread: Need some Mississippi advice

I was reading up on MS laws, and it says that a sign is all that is needed to keep CCW's out of businesses. QUOTE:

"the carrying of a concealed pistol or revolver
    may be disallowed in anyplace in the discretion of the
    person or entity exercising control over the physical
    location of such place by the placing of a written notice
    clearly readable at a distance of not less than ten (10)
    feet that the "carrying of a pistol or revolver is
    prohibited."

So, my question is, if you happen to ignore such a sign, what are the consequences. Can they just ask you to leave if you are made? Or is it something you can be fined/arrested for?? Thanks all!!! I couldn't find the answer to that on Packing. Will look on Handgunlaw.us.
    Walk softly....

It's probably covered under Mississippi Code 97-37-1 which provides a misdemeanor charge on the first violation (of carrying a weapon) for a fine between $100 to $500 and/or up to 6 months in county.

The real question is why would you want to violate that law in the first place and why you would put yourself at risk. Either don't carry or don't go in.

Violating law

The question the original poster was asking, was whether he was violating the law by ignoring a sign. IANAL, but in my experience if a location is not specifically off limits by law, all that can happen is you can be asked to leave and then charged with trespassing. The packet I got when I got my MS firearms permit did not state that it was a violation of the statute to ignore a posted sign. As far as the midemeanor fine, I think that applies to carrying without a permit. I do know that it is a felony to carry in the off limit places, such as schools and govt buildings. Heck, the state is prosecuting the Mayor of Jackson on some of these grounds.
    "An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject."

Sights? What are those?

As far as i know, wheelgunner has hit it. I dont belive you can be charged criminaly, but they can press tresspassing charges. But before they can do so, you have to refuse to leave.

Mississippi laws...

I think there is a LEO from central MS on this board. Perhaps he will weight in with some answers.

Cub, I assume by your avitar that you own a Corvette. If so, I'm a great fan...I had 4 C5's('99, '2000, & 2 different '01's) & am wanting to get a C6 soon!

Hey Shooter, yeah I am a fan of Corvettes! My father had a 96 LT-4 that I loved!! I currently own a 2000 Convertible, that I LOVE. Great FUN car, and very economical on the highway.

As far as why I would knowingly WANT to ignore a no firearms sign? Well, in TN, it IS illegal to take your firearm into businesses that serve alchohol. However, there is also this code on the books:

39-17-1322. Defenses

A person shall not be charged with or convicted of a violation under this part if the person possessed, displayed or employed a handgun in justifiable self-defense or in justifiable defense of another during the commission of a crime in which that person or the other person defended was a victim.
    [Acts 1994, ch. 943, 1.]

So, there are times I choose to carry, even when I know I shouldn't. I don't want to be in a situation where I WISH I had my gun. This is why I asked if IGNORING the sign in MS was an arrestable offense, or if they just ask you to leave. It appears the latter is the case. I did a lot of research through lexisnexis, and handgunlaw.us and didn't find anything that mentioned ignoring the signs being grounds for arrest.

As always, I welcome opinions and comments. Thanks!
    Walk softly....

City law

Check local city laws. Ridgeland, MS has one that makes it a misdemeanor to carry into a business that prohibits guns on the premises.

Sec. 66-88. Carrying weapon on commercial premises; violation; penalty.
    No person, except duly authorized federal, state, county or city law enforcement officers, or security officers whose presence is authorized by the property owner, shall be permitted to carry upon his person, or in any other manner, or have in his possession in any way, a pistol, revolver, rifle or firearm, in any form, while on any commercial premises, where the property owner has posted signs prohibiting the possession of firearms in prominent locations on the property, regardless of whether any such person possesses a valid permit to carry such weapon. The violation of this section is punishable as provided in section 1-13.
    (Ord. No. 900014, 11-6-1990)
    State law references: Certain persons carrying weapons, MCA 1972, § 97-37-7.

Sec. 1-13. General penalty.
    (a) Wherever in this Code, in any technical code or other provision adopted by reference in this Code, or in any ordinance of the city, any act is prohibited or is made or declared to be unlawful or an offense, or the doing of any act is required, or the failure to do any act is declared to be unlawful or a misdemeanor, where no specific penalty is provided therefor, the violation of any such provisions of this Code, any technical code or other provision adopted by reference in this Code, or ordinance of the city shall be punished by a fine not exceeding $1,000.00, or by imprisonment not exceeding 90 days, or both.
    (b) In addition to the penalties provided in subsection (a) of this section, any condition caused or permitted to exist in violation of any of the provisions of this Code, any technical code or other provisions adopted by reference in this Code, or any ordinance of the city shall be deemed a public nuisance and may be abated by the city, as provided by law.
    State law references: Costs in cases of certiorari and appeals, MCA 1972, § 11-53-53; punishment for violation of ordinances, MCA 1972, § 21-13-1; misdemeanors under state penal laws as criminal offenses against municipalities, MCA 1972, § 21-13-19; credit allowed for labor of convicts, treatment, MCA 1972, § 47-1-47.
    Last edited by dhbry232; June 5th, 2007 at 04:29 PM.

Sponsored Links