Moving AR to CO. Stuck in limbo?

Moving AR to CO. Stuck in limbo?

This is a discussion on Moving AR to CO. Stuck in limbo? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Title says I all. I hold an AR permit, but I just moved to CO. I have 30 days to report my address change to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Moving AR to CO. Stuck in limbo?

Question Moving AR to CO. Stuck in limbo?

Title says I all. I hold an AR permit, but I just moved to CO. I have 30 days to report my address change to AR, which I believe will invalidate my license. CO has a 6 month residency requirement. CO also does not recognize non-resident permits, so going the UT route is not an option.

I did have a casual conversation with an officer from the local Sherrifs Dept, and while he said he would not have any issue with me carrying with an AR permit as a new resident, he also said he couldn't speak for other officers or agencies.

Hopefully someone has some advice that can help me out.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    As long as you retain your AR driver license, showing an AR address, your AR carry permit will be valid. When you switch to a CO driver's license the AR license is not recognized by statute, although some LEOs might let it slide. Carrying a concealed pistol without a permit is a misdemeanor.

If you must endure a period without a concealed carry permit, at least CO allows you to have a loaded handgun in your vehicle with no permit required. Also, with the exception of Denver County (long story), open carry in CO is legal without permit.
    wmhawth, Aceoky and marcclarke like this.

VIP Member
    My advice is to obey the law and do it right.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

VIP Member
    As atctimmy said, follow the law. It may be inconvenient, but not near as getting caught carrying illegally would be.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

You could avoid all this hassle, and move back to the Ozarks.

Things were similar for me when I moved from OK to KS. When I submitted my papers for my Kansas permit I received a signed letter from the attorney general's office stating that my OK permit would be valid in KS until my request was either denied or processed. You may check with the CO attorney general's office for your situation.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

TRX
    > signed letter

That was darned nice of them! Go Kansas!

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    OP, you need to check with the AR agency that issued your permit and CO, but until you change your residency to CO (in six months) you are still an AR resident, being you have to be a legal resident of some state. I don't see how reporting a change in address would necessarily invalidate your permit. One must obtain a DL, register to vote, pay resident tax and/or a series of other things to establish "residency."

For instance, in FL, your resident AR CW permit would be honored for 90 days AFTER you establish FL residency--the amount of time in which FL must issue you a new permit.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I'm going to be facing the same issue when I move to TX in the spring. GA and TX have reciprocity, so I'll at least be good while I first move there. But as soon as I am settled into my knew home and done with the actual "moving" process, I'll be changing my residency to begin the 6 month waiting period. It's going to stink, but luckily my wife never gave up her residency, so she's still a TX resident. She'll be able to apply for her permit straight away, and then I'll just make her carry my gun for me.

Get used to carrying only in your car and home. I know I will.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Follow the law.

I had the same issue when I moved. Just have your permit application ready to file asap after the 6 month window lapses. There is a training requirement, so get the paperwork and get all of that ministerial stuff complete first.

Most Counties are fast, so that helps.

Denver County was even fast last time I looked.

Welcome.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

cj
    As a CO resident, I'd say your best bet is to follow the law...but also consider WHERE in Colorado you are. Running in to the Denver or Boulder PD vs. some of the smaller towns on the western slope would likely be very different encounters and conversations.

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    I'm going to be facing the same issue when I move to TX in the spring. GA and TX have reciprocity, so I'll at least be good while I first move there. But as soon as I am settled into my knew home and done with the actual "moving" process, I'll be changing my residency to begin the 6 month waiting period. It's going to stink, but luckily my wife never gave up her residency, so she's still a TX resident. She'll be able to apply for her permit straight away, and then I'll just make her carry my gun for me.

Get used to carrying only in your car and home. I know I will.
    Texas does not have a 6 month waiting period. You should get your Texas DL as soon as you have your new address and then take the course and apply for your Texas CHL.

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    I too moved from NW Arkansas to Colorado. I had a CCP in AR, but when I moved here, 15 years ago, CO didn't issue CCPs. I checked the statutes for CCW on my county sheriff's website and I didn't see anything about a 6-month residency requirement. (Maybe I missed it.) I think once you move here, you can get your CO drivers license. Once you have that, that's you proof of residency you need to get your CO permit. But then I'm not a lawyer. I suggest calling the sheriff's department of the county you moved to and ask some questions.

I'm glad you're here. We need help getting rid of a few politicians.

If I recall correctly, Colorado allows open carry and a permit isn't required for car carry. You may want to check an official resource just to be sure.

Is there not an exception to the 6mo residency requirement if you already have a carry permit from another state? MS has a 12 month period but waives it if you already have a permit from another state.

As others have said, OC is an option there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links