Starting to carry: did family or friend treat you differently?

This is a discussion on Starting to carry: did family or friend treat you differently? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A couple of weeks ago ery few of my friends or family knew. My mom knew, she's a retired cop and loves to go to ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Starting to carry: did family or friend treat you differently?

VIP Member
    A couple of weeks ago ery few of my friends or family knew. My mom knew, she's a retired cop and loves to go to the range with me.

My girlfriend knew- hard to hide a gun when you spend that much time together.

A friend knew- we took the class together.

A second friend knew because he pulled me over and I had to disclose that I was CCW.

However, when I was on a road trip with a few friends in three different cars there was a situation that brought th gun out of leather. If people have to learn I'm carrying, that's the way to do it. I'm now having fun teaching a few people to shoot and helping them get everything in order to get their own permits.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

2. Remove Ads

My wife has one of her own. S&W 686 .357 MAG. She loves it and has no problem with mine.
    When in doubt.... empty the magazin.

I'm 21, I've had my CCW since a few weeks after my 21st birthday. My dad took the class with me just because we don't get to spend much time together since I moved out. He probably won't carry, but says he'll eventually "get the paperwork turned in" Most of my friends know unfortunately. I made the mistake of telling two, and two turned into 20 in about a day and a half. :\ Those two friends are going to get their CCW though. Interestingly, my parents both requested that I not carry inside their house when I visit. I don't really understand the logic behind that, but I respect their wishes, so I don't. They both think I'm a touch paranoid, and my younger brother (18) says he always feels better when we're out 4x4'n or hiking and I have the 'ole 9mm. Girl I'm seeing now shoots for UNRs rifle team, so no problems there.
    People around here generally don't give it a second thought. Everyone I associate with knows what kind of a person I am, and they feel safe around me.
    Nick
    He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day

Many people know I carry simply because I am an instructor for MN carry permits. It's hard to keep that a secret when you teach the classes. I would prefer that nobody outside of my immediate family knew but as I said, it goes with the territory.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Wife started out basically neutral but now very, very positive. Other immediate family know and think I'm a little weird anyway. Only a select few friends know and they are all shooters so no problems there.

My in laws would probably freak if they knew so we don't say anything.

For the most part I'm pretty quiet about it. Concealed is concealed!!!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    No permit yet but:
    My battle buddy knows. I gave him the class information and he constantly bugged me to go myself. Now we're both trained but he hasn't turned in his applcation.

My boss knows. I had to take a day off for the class. I also had to request guidance from our legal department through her.

My fiance knows. I asked if she would be ok with it, that way I could dump her early if needed. She's not anti, but fearful because of a childhood incident that claimed her friend. She's slowly coming around too; this past month I took her to a gun show and she got an autoloading airsoft (we're thinking pistol grip 12 guage next).

I told my sister in California, and she's pretty jealous. When I told her how I bought my Glock on a lunch break she started getting upset.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

You never need a gun, until you need one. Yes, some of my friend thought I was a little off, but you know what society is going down the tubes and police are just too busy to be everywhere. Solution...carry and do it often.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

My dad is under the belief I'll wind up in a shootout just because I carry. No matter how hard I try to convince him otherwise. My mom however, is cool to the idea. My girlfriend feels safer when I carry, and she's slowly warming up to the idea of getting a ccw herself.

My family lives out of state, so none of them know I carry yet. When I went to see them during Thanksgiving, my dad did ask what was in the the locked case in the trunk. He seemed to get concerned when I told him that it was a pistol, but the subject of carry never came up (we were in a National Park, so I wasn't carrying).

I'm sure they'll find out sooner or later, and I'm a bit concerned about how they'll react (my parents are definitely not gun people).

VIP Member
    Very few know, and those who know don't care (or have HCPs themselves).

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Mom and Dad long gone - not married now , two adult sons
    are jealous , older sister (66 ) indifferent about firearms , I havent
    seen much point in bringing it up.

my friends are all shooting buddies
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

My parrents were fine with it (Dad has his CCW and my Mom doesn't care either way). My wife was a little displeased at first but she has come around, not quite to getting her own CCW yet but she keeps a 38 handy around the house. Now her side of the family are a little strange. I can't go to her dads or sisters house armed, not a big problem for me since I dont enjoy going there anyway. And her mom isn't a big fan but her mothers husband (my wife's family tree is quite confusing) is a gun guy, mostly rifles but he loves all firearms just the same.

The really interesting thing is neither her father or sister had the nerve to tell me directly. They both told my wife to tell me. It's amazing what the fear of guns does to some people.
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

My father-in-law carrys and my parents don't care. My best friend carrys and my other close friends actually like it. Non-issue for me
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Administrator
    What they don't know doesnt hurt them.

Identical To My CCW Route...

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    Wife started out basically neutral but now very, very positive. Other immediate family know and think I'm a little weird anyway. Only a select few friends know and they are all shooters so no problems there.

My in laws would probably freak if they knew so we don't say anything.

For the most part I'm pretty quiet about it. Concealed is concealed!!!
    Wife is fine with it now...she has her CCW...
    It's not something I advertise, but most people I would talk about CCW with either have a permit or are considering getting one...

I agree that...concealed is concealed!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links