A real story

A real story

This is a discussion on A real story within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a real scenario and also a “Why I carry a firearm” story. Three couples were eating lunch together after church and the subject ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: A real story

A real story

This is a real scenario and also a “Why I carry a firearm” story. Three couples were eating lunch together after church and the subject of carrying a firearm came up. I was enthusiastic about my new permit and was trying to encourage my friends to attend a class and get a permit. One of the husbands looked at us and said, "I seldom if ever say this, but I want to add my encouragement to all of you - I have had a permit for years and I always have a pistol on me". This stopped us cold since we had just left church and the implication was he had the weapon in the church. He said, “Let me explain.”

Years ago he owned a business providing management of medical office buildings including the technical maintenance (phones, HVAC, networks, etc.) which involved entering these downtown buildings at all hours.

One morning well before daylight, he was entering the service entrance of a building to get started before the occupants were there. He heard footsteps coming down the alleyway and was immediately concerned since he had never seen anyone else in this area at this hour. He was in the process of unlocking the door but could not get it open immediately. He had no weapons at all. No tools, no knife, and certainly no pistol – he had to work around his customers, doctors and their staff, all day and did not want to alienate them. He felt and was indeed defenseless as the hoodie-wearing stranger walked up the steps behind him and pointed a pistol at his face and demanded his wallet.

My friend had not been to an ATM yet and only had a few dollars in the billfold. The robber was irritated and made my friend turn his pockets inside out. Getting no results with that, the robber demanded his wedding ring. My friend’s wife at that time was battling cancer and he asked to keep the ring as it meant so much to her but was really not very valuable. Hearing this, the robber pointed the pistol at my friend’s forehead and asked, “Worth dying for?” After getting the ring, the crook took off running.

On that day he decided that he would never let a criminal decide if he lived or died. He has carried ever since. After hearing this chilling story my wife has never questioned me carrying at the house or wherever we go.

He was willing to share this story with his friends to reinforce us to carry, and I don't believe he would mind me sharing it with you.

VIP Member
    Glad he was alive to relay the story too many times they don't live to say what happens . Another reason to arm and protect you and your family .

Crime is happening to someone
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

VIP Member
    Thanks for sharing your "sharing" story. I have stories like that also - probably a lot of us do. It goes against the "don't ask, don't tell" philosophy, but I have found that sharing reasons for carrying can open a LOT of opportunities to educate people.

In fact, within the past 2 weeks I've had 3 opportunities to explain the real meaning of the "criminals welcome" sign to people who previously thought that red circle with the gun in it and the red bar across meant something good.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Good story, been there, done similar. That's why I carry. Glad he lived to tell it.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

VIP Member
    Thanks for sharing. It's a shame that main stream media won't share information like it, so people cam make a informed decision.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array BlackStallion29's Avatar
    These are the stories I wish everyone could read or hear about. Thanks for sharing this with us.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Everybody gets knocked down in life. How you choose to get back up is up to you!"
    *NRA* *BFA*
    *GOA* *SAF*
    *NAGR*

Quote Originally Posted by Tenncvol View Post
    This is a real scenario and also a “Why I carry a firearm” story. Three couples were eating lunch together after church and the subject of carrying a firearm came up. I was enthusiastic about my new permit and was trying to encourage my friends to attend a class and get a permit. One of the husbands looked at us and said, "I seldom if ever say this, but I want to add my encouragement to all of you - I have had a permit for years and I always have a pistol on me". This stopped us cold since we had just left church and the implication was he had the weapon in the church. He said, “Let me explain.”

Years ago he owned a business providing management of medical office buildings including the technical maintenance (phones, HVAC, networks, etc.) which involved entering these downtown buildings at all hours.

One morning well before daylight, he was entering the service entrance of a building to get started before the occupants were there. He heard footsteps coming down the alleyway and was immediately concerned since he had never seen anyone else in this area at this hour. He was in the process of unlocking the door but could not get it open immediately. He had no weapons at all. No tools, no knife, and certainly no pistol – he had to work around his customers, doctors and their staff, all day and did not want to alienate them. He felt and was indeed defenseless as the hoodie-wearing stranger walked up the steps behind him and pointed a pistol at his face and demanded his wallet.

My friend had not been to an ATM yet and only had a few dollars in the billfold. The robber was irritated and made my friend turn his pockets inside out. Getting no results with that, the robber demanded his wedding ring. My friend’s wife at that time was battling cancer and he asked to keep the ring as it meant so much to her but was really not very valuable. Hearing this, the robber pointed the pistol at my friend’s forehead and asked, “Worth dying for?” After getting the ring, the crook took off running.

On that day he decided that he would never let a criminal decide if he lived or died. He has carried ever since. After hearing this chilling story my wife has never questioned me carrying at the house or wherever we go.

He was willing to share this story with his friends to reinforce us to carry, and I don't believe he would mind me sharing it with you.
    I appreciate a good story that reinforces concealed carry. Thanks for the post...

So now, let's take it to the next level.... And try to learn something more from it, since we all (for the most part) already carry.

A wedding band will net about $5-10 at a pawnshop. Not enough with the few dollars to even buy a tall boy and a pack of smokes at most convenience stores... So, the mugging was as much about power as it was about the loot.

If the thug had been more stealthy, and your friend (after he got his permit) had not heard the footsteps... what exactly would he have done? Draw against the drop? Shoot him in the back after he left and no more threat?

Does he (or would he, if he still had the same job) now open all these alley doors with his gun in one hand and keys in the other? What if, and some metro areas still have some, it was a beat cop... Or even a cop on patrol that saw your friend walking up the alley, and then your buddy ducked into an alcove (or up the steps) to open a door?

While I do carry a gun almost all the time... I have come to believe it is not a magic talisman... In his case, he was "pinned" in an alcove (assumption); or, (as reported) on the steps to the rear entrance with no room to escape, maybe even little room to "get off the X."

What would you do? Ask your friend what he would do... Just carrying a gun isn't the answer. And avoiding alleys may not be the answer either... Everybody's got to have a job, if you are a janitor, or an on call tech guy, you may have to work some odd hours in odd places.
    RichB70, C5A, BradL and 3 others like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Shoot him in the back after he left and no more threat?

Wait, you can't do that?
    brocktice and gatorbait51 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Shocked that he carries in church??? Read this: Ministry Violence Statistics Be as wise as serpents and as innocent as doves.....
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    Shocked that he carries in church??? Read this: Ministry Violence Statistics Be as wise as serpents and as innocent as doves.....
    Wow! Thanks Chaplain for sharing that.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

While I understand the sentiment of the story, I would like to make an observation and comment.

First, if, he had a gun on him, it is not likely he could have used it unless he was very good, very fast, and had a little luck too. The carrying of a firearm on your body does not preclude you from this stuff happening to you. However, situational awareness could, but not always.

And, whether or not I am armed, I am still dangerous. I am more than ready to die for principal matters. The question is, or should have been, yes, it's worth dying over, are you ready to die taking it .
    This is the only mindset that will determine your survival, armed or not. Because if you aren't prepared to die fighting, the gun is just extra weight on your body.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Seeing the link Chaplain Scott provided almost makes me want to convert to Scientology. Sure makes me glad I'm Episcopalean and not Baptist!

Kidding aside, the "defining moment" stories about what caused people's compass to change from "only cops need to carry guns" to actively being armed most of the time are prolific and varied - this one fits the mold. Take an intelligent, rational person who knows that crime is "out there" but thinks they are statistically or otherwise immune, and make them a victim of armed crime in the blink of an eye, and you have a life-changing moment.

I got a similar story from a neighbor whose life was changed as a result of crime, but I was also married at the time to someone whose knowledge of firearms came entirely from Hollywood. It took close to a decade to overcome that particular obstacle, but I did - and I'm not looking back.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    I had a lot to say- glockman said it better than I would have, so I'll just say +1 to him. Very well said, and very true.

Just remember, the gun is a tool, and like any tool it isn't the answer to everything. You don't turn a screw with a hammer and you don't drive nails with a screwdriver.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Seeing the link Chaplain Scott provided almost makes me want to convert to Scientology. The stats sure make me glad I'm Episcopalian and not Baptist!

Kidding aside, the "defining moment" stories about what caused people's compass to change from "only cops need to carry guns" to actively being armed most of the time are prolific and varied - this one fits the mold. Take an intelligent, rational person who knows that crime is "out there" but thinks they are statistically or otherwise immune, and make them a victim of armed crime in the blink of an eye, and you have a life-changing moment.

I got a similar story from a neighbor whose life was changed as a result of crime, but I was also married at the time to someone whose knowledge of firearms came entirely from Hollywood. It took close to a decade to overcome that particular obstacle, but I did - and I'm not looking back.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tenncvol View Post
    I have had a permit for years and I always have a pistol on me". This stopped us cold since we had just left church and the implication was he had the weapon in the church. He said, “Let me explain.”
    No innocent people have ever been threatened or worse in a church, have they? (sarcasm intended)
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links