AR/AK pistol consealed carry legal in WA/OR/ID?

This is a discussion on AR/AK pistol consealed carry legal in WA/OR/ID? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im stationed in OR and WA resident and my wifes family is in ID. I have an OR and WA CHL. I think ID now ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SIGguy229

Thread: AR/AK pistol consealed carry legal in WA/OR/ID?

AR/AK pistol consealed carry legal in WA/OR/ID?

Im stationed in OR and WA resident and my wifes family is in ID.

I have an OR and WA CHL. I think ID now reconizes most or all permits but i'm not 100% sure.

As far as i can tell loaded long guns in a car are a no go in OR

Im more looking to have it for road trips not trench coat matrix carry.

Not sure if 5.45x39 steel core is considered AP by ATF since it maybe under the .22 cap

So my guess ill have go with 7.62 and buy mags for a 47
    Mossberg Maverick 88, Saiga 12, FN FNAR, SKS, SKS Paratrooper, AK-74, Marlin 60, Mosin Nagant 91/30, Browning A bolt II, Kahr PM9, Hi Point C9, Glock 20 (29 chop), Walther P22, Tauras PT92AF, Colt LE6920, Marlin 60SN, Mak-90

2. Remove Ads

Have you checked out Handgunlaw.us ? Don't guess...know the laws, reciprocity, and what is legal to carry in the state you are present. Personally, CCing an AR or AK pistol is not something I would do...too much attention when it eventually gets seen....but whatever floats your boat. Just be legal.
    archer51 likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Ive reviewed many websites just seeing if someone knows something other than what Ive found
    Mossberg Maverick 88, Saiga 12, FN FNAR, SKS, SKS Paratrooper, AK-74, Marlin 60, Mosin Nagant 91/30, Browning A bolt II, Kahr PM9, Hi Point C9, Glock 20 (29 chop), Walther P22, Tauras PT92AF, Colt LE6920, Marlin 60SN, Mak-90

M855 not AP by federal law, as it's a steel-cored lead projectile, and lead is not on the list of materials in para a.17.B.i. below. Also, though I'm not sure where you might find the specs on the composition, even if BATFE considers it over .22 cal, the jacket definitely isn't 25% of the bullet weight.

But state laws may be different. I've actually thought about having an AR pistol for my vehicle due to the Fish and Game laws here that prohibit loaded rifles, but NHSC ruling has indicated that as long as the mag is detached and chamber empty, it's not considered loaded. Also, per my understanding of LEOSA, an AR pistol would be fall under it (though the mag wouldn't) but pretty sure someone tried that in one of the blue states, he'd end up getting to test that theory in court himself.

18 USC 921
    (a) As used in this chapter—
    (17)
    (A) The term “ammunition” means ammunition or cartridge cases, primers, bullets, or propellent powder designed for use in any firearm.
    (B) The term “armor piercing ammunition” means—
    (i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or
    (ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.
    (C) The term “armor piercing ammunition” does not include shotgun shot required by Federal or State environmental or game regulations for hunting purposes, a frangible projectile designed for target shooting, a projectile which the Attorney General finds is primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes, or any other projectile or projectile core which the Attorney General finds is intended to be used for industrial purposes, including a charge used in an oil and gas well perforating device.

Here in WA a pistol is a pistol be it AR, AK or hi-point. That being said, make sure that the weapon was manufactured as a pistol. Unless the state has restrictions on the caliber that can be "concealed" an ar/ak pistol is a pistol.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

I don't think I have clothes big enough to successfully conceal an AR/AK pistol. I wouldn't mind keeping one in my car, though.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

In WA yes they are listed as a pistol and can be carried. However SBRs are not legal in the state and if you OC I suspect you will get hassled.

Go Seahawks!

Pretty sure they accept all other permits from other states. Open Carry does not require a permit.

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    GregDepot I see where you are coming from. You want something that you can legally carry loaded in your car that has the capacity to hold off an angry gang of wannabe bikers, plus the capability to pierce an engine block to stop pursuers or knock someone out of the fight with one hit. I am looking for the same thing and concluded that an AK/AR round would be too loud to fire without first donning ear protection. Also an AK/AR round out of a 10"+/- barrel would produce one heck of a fireball.

Right now I am looking for options in a 5.7 cartridge. I don't have $1100 for an FN, but the MasterPiece Arms 57SST looks interesting.

You can get a ps90 from omb guns with a mil or le discount for $800.

I was going to get one and my order came in but the ammo was backed up 1.5m rounds and this was early dec so i passed

I would agree they are very loud but id rather be deaf then dead.

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    The PS90 is a rifle and you can't have the SBR version in Washington.

TRX
    Just as an aside, some states have size or weight limits in their definitions of "handgun." Arkansas doesn't, but for purposes of hunting or CHL licensing, there's a 10" maximum barrel length.

WRT open carry, note Oklahoma restricts open carry to Oklahoma residents only, according to their secretary of state's web page.

SC has a 12" limit for a concealable handgun. How I would do that I don't know. As another said check Handgunlaw.

Links