Indiana: Is a daycare operated by a church considered a school?

This is a discussion on Indiana: Is a daycare operated by a church considered a school? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Indiana law is very vague. I know that carry in or on school property is not allowed- but what about a day care? Would ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By suntzu
  • 1 Post By pittypat21

Thread: Indiana: Is a daycare operated by a church considered a school?

The Indiana law is very vague. I know that carry in or on school property is not allowed- but what about a day care? Would it be considered a school? I'm a contractor, and this place where I will soon be working is a church that has a daycare in operation Monday thru Friday. I don't want to cause any unnecessary issues.

I can't answer, really, but I'll give my opinion.

No. A day care isn't actually a place of learning, so I'd say it doesn't count.

But it might count because of the fact that there are a number of small children there, that are being watched by people that aren't the parents. It might qualify depending on who you ask.

But Churches, as far as I'm aware, are not off-limits in IN. So if you're not going to be actually in the day-care area, you might be ok.

Best thing, as always, is to contact a firearm rights attorney in your area and get their opinion.
    Does IN law have anywhere a "definition" of a School?

ETA:

I did a quick look through the IN code section that defines schools, and didn't see anything about daycare. Take a look yourself here:

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/201...0/ar18/ch2.pdf
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Church/private schools do allow folks to carry if authorized by the school board or governing head and you are legal to carry firearms in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierLife View Post
    Church/private schools do allow folks to carry if authorized by the school board or governing head and you are legal to carry firearms in the first place.
    And if a Church-run daycare even counted as a school, it would be as a private one.

"Public school"
    Sec. 15. "Public school":
    (1) for purposes of this title (other than IC 20-33-1), means a
    school maintained by a school corporation; and(2) for purposes of IC 20-33-1, means:
    (A) a school maintained by a school corporation; or
    (B) a preschool, an elementary school, or a high school
    maintained by a state educational institution under
    IC 20-24.5 or another law.
    "Nonpublic school"
    Sec. 12. (a) "Nonpublic school" means a school that is not
    maintained by a school corporation.
    (b) The term includes a private school or parochial school.
    INAL...so....consider that many daycares run Pre-school. Then that may legally define them as a "Private School"
    pittypat21 likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

WWJD
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    WWJD
    Luke 22:36 - "Then He said to them, 'But now, whoever has a money-bag should take it, and also a traveling bag. And whoever doesn't have a sword should sell his robe and buy one.'"

WWJD? He'd tell you to make damn sure you're packing.
    HoosierLife likes this.

Two words. Deep concealment.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

PM
    At one time in Kansas Daycare were a no no as a separate group; no they have to be posted with a gun buster which was a crime but now that gun buster is a polite request to not carry into the place posted. I say all this to say check the law and see what it says real well; though I would check because I have a friend who is a pastor in IN and I thought he said "No carry in churches in IN"

I will get a definitive for you... my sister is a social worker who, by chance, as her job inspects and certifies daycares and child care centers for the state of INdiana..... if anyone will know she will lol
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

According to my sister :

In the state of Indiana, a daycare is exactly that, a daycare. Indiana state law classifies a daycare as an establishment that provides care for children 6 yrs and younger. even if the center follows a curriculum, it is not a school. A "daycare" operated by a church, is almost always a childcare ministry, not a day care, and therefore is not required to be licensed by the state, nor is it a an actual daycare or a school. To be such, it would have to be licensed as such. So the answer to your question is no its not.

As clarification, pre-school is not actually a school either, it is a descriptive term under indiana state law and does not require any licensing or regulation, unless they recieve state or federal funding. It is a very convoluted sytem to say the least.

So what does all of this mean ? Basically, a daycare is neither a public nor private school in any sense of the word school, nor is it a parochial school even if it is run by a church. Therefore, concealed carry would be no different than carrying at walmart. One thing to check is indiana state law in regards to concealed carry in a religious institution. Some states allow it, some dont. IMO, your best course of action is to ask for permission. If they say yes, fine. If they say no, respect their wishes just as you would anywhere else.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Sponsored Links