Update to my CC at Bed and Breakfast.

This is a discussion on Update to my CC at Bed and Breakfast. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I posted a couple of weeks back about CC at a B&B and if I would need permission from the owner because it was a ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By amendment4
  • 1 Post By Yetiman

Thread: Update to my CC at Bed and Breakfast.

I posted a couple of weeks back about CC at a B&B and if I would need permission from the owner because it was a private residence.The consensus here was to "always carry,never tell".I took that advice but man I was not expecting what I walked into.

Like I had stated on my previous post,this home is a historical home with much mid 19th century history.Little did my wife and I know that there were 4 tours scheduled for that same day.Each group consisted of 25 people per group and a police officer was present during this whole time.

When we arrived on that Saturday,we then were informed of the tours and we were welcome to join one of the groups. About an hour after we arrived the police officer arrived in uniform and the first group started showing up. I CC IWB. It was somewhat cold that day so I had on a jacket that only covered down to about just below the beltline. I did not have my shirt pulled out of my belt so If I bent over or raised my arms above my head my weapon would be exposed. Keep in mind had I known that there was going to be 100 people throughout the day within arms reach of me I probably would not have dressed with the possibility of being found out.

I made sure that I did not do the tell-tell signs of someone with a CCW. The pulling down of the jacket,the repositioning of my weapon,ect. Those are the signs that LE look for or are known to be the motions of someone CC. I did somewhat feel that the officer was watching me,but I was probably just paranoid. I must say that the day went quite well and I feel that I pulled it off.The only thing I might change next time is to dress for the unexpected and not like I'm at home.
    In loving memory of my son Trey. *Aug 28 1982- Sept 1 2004*
    Gone from our home but not from our hearts.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Private home or public accommodation? The B&B has to have some kind of license etal to run such an establishment and it might or does fall under the category of a public accommodation--just like any hotel albeit a small hotel. If what I just said is correct and your state requires a specific sign notice, per the regs, to regulate your ability to CC, like in any business, and it is not posted, you can CC regardless of the presence of an LEO. If you prefer these kind of B&Bs and are a 24/7 CC guy, you should check what I have said with those who can answer you in your state--LEOs, District Attorney etal or just look up your state's gun regs and read up. You can go to forums where this info is presented in an easy to find/follow manner.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Private home or public accommodation? The B&B has to have some kind of license etal to run such an establishment and it might or does fall under the category of a public accommodation--just like any hotel albeit a small hotel. If what I just said is correct and your state requires a specific sign notice, per the regs, to regulate your ability to CC, like in any business, and it is not posted, you can CC regardless of the presence of an LEO. If you prefer these kind of B&Bs and are a 24/7 CC guy, you should check what I have said with those who can answer you in your state--LEOs, District Attorney etal or just look up your state's gun regs and read up. You can go to forums where this info is presented in an easy to find/follow manner.
    I believe you are correct in that it is a public accomodation and would have to be posted if CC is not permitted.
    In loving memory of my son Trey. *Aug 28 1982- Sept 1 2004*
    Gone from our home but not from our hearts.

It is a place of business and would have to be posted.
    mano3 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

Oh well. You made it back home safely and didn't go to jail, so all is good.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

It would seem a bit obvious if you are temporarily 'residing' at a rooming facility if you had to pay.
    Tough to be a 'guest' if you are being charged.

The only source for such legal determinations is your State's Attorney General. Anyone else had to get 'their' information from that office.
    Why bother trusting a third party?

As a State Trooper, many citizens asked me such questions, but I could only relay the info, as I understood it, which came from the State's AG office.
    If it had been a while, my info may have been out-dated. LEOs are not guaranteed accurate sources... trust that.

When visiting another State, it is simple enough to call the State's AG office and have them send you a dated Email reply, which is legally binding.
    It is also prudent to learn whether a State permits Municipalities to "Preempt" State Laws. Some do, some don't.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't get the concern about "adjusting" one's clothing. I have to hike up my belt and pull my shirt tail down every time I get out of the car--armed or not. Maybe I subconsciously try to keep them guessing?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Perhaps he did not read The Rules.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Links