Non-resident Illinois Conceal Carry Permit...Is it worth it?

This is a discussion on Non-resident Illinois Conceal Carry Permit...Is it worth it? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I signed up for an IL CC class today and I was all excited. I took my trusty 357 snubbie to the range to see ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Non-resident Illinois Conceal Carry Permit...Is it worth it?

Distinguished Member

I signed up for an IL CC class today and I was all excited. I took my trusty 357 snubbie to the range to see if I could qualify okay with it. That was all fine. Then I started thinking about the permit and what advantages it has. I currently have WI and UT. The IL will only add IL to the mix, and I'm not seeing that as any great advantage. Not the mention the $300 price tag for the permit and the $200+ for the training. I'm curious what others think about this. I'm beginning to believe it's a bad investment.
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

Illinois is trying to make it as prohibitively expensive as they possibly can which puts the license out of reach for many that need it the most. I paid a total of about $175 for my Florida license including training, and I thought that was a tad much. Unless you spend a lot of time in Illinois, I don't see why you would give the State of Illinois all that money. I'm sure Illinois will never recognize my Florida license, and for that
    I will never return to my home state until they do. Some day Illinois might recognize your Wisconsin license, but I would not hold my breath.
    Chevyguy85, Str8upguy and Yetiman like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    If I spent any amount of time in Illinois I would do it just to get a liberals shorts bunched up.....

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    Illinois is trying to make it as prohibitively expensive as they possibly can which puts the license out of reach for many that need it the most. I paid a total of about $175 for my Florida license including training, and I thought that was a tad much. Unless you spend a lot of time in Illinois, I don't see why you would give the State of Illinois all that money. I'm sure Illinois will never recognize my Florida license, and for that
    I will never return to my home state until they do. Some day Illinois might recognize your Wisconsin license, but I would not hold my breath.
    My problem is I live VERY close to the state line. Most of the roads around here aren't marked. I've been living here 7 years and there are still spots that I'm not sure are Wisconsin or Illinois.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

$500 for a non resident IL permit is reason # 753 to stay out of the state. JMHO

VIP Member
    Illinois can pound sand, and I'll keep my $300 and deal with it as I always have.
    Chevyguy85, JD and Str8upguy like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Kwc

Quote Originally Posted by Str8upguy View Post
    My problem is I live VERY close to the state line. Most of the roads around here aren't marked. I've been living here 7 years and there are still spots that I'm not sure are Wisconsin or Illinois.
    If you are on a road and aren't sure if you've crossed into IL, and you have a WI CCW permit, don't worry about it. Just don't take your loaded firearm out of the car, and if you have to get out, lock it up. The IL CCW law allows non-residents who are authorized to carry inside their home state to carry concealed inside their cars.
    Smarshe, 88keys, Aceoky and 2 others like this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwc View Post
    If you are on a road and aren't sure if you've crossed into IL, and you have a WI CCW permit, don't worry about it. Just don't take your loaded firearm out of the car, and if you have to get out, lock it up. The IL CCW law allows non-residents who are authorized to carry inside their home state to carry concealed inside their cars.
    I just read the law. You're are absolutely correct. Thanks
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    Illinois is trying to make it as prohibitively expensive as they possibly can which puts the license out of reach for many that need it the most.
    That's about as articulate a reading of high-priced rights as can be said, I think. Am surprised that wouldn't be considered unconstitutional and knocked down, as the real effect of such pricing IS to exclude many who need it.

Is it worth it? For anyone regularly heading to that state, probably. For anyone else? Probably not. For myself, I'll just continue to avoid it until they've gotten their bearings with the new reality. It's gonna be messy for awhile, I think, as they change over from absolutists to remembering they're hired staff hired to do a job for the People. It'll take some time for some measure of sanity to return, in this as with all things.
    Str8upguy likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    if you go there more then a couple times a year then i'd say yes.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

I am thinking about it now just as a way to stick my tongue out at the old Illinois, now king of this country........... but 300.00.....will my health insurance still be good while I c.c. as I drive through his home state? heck, any State? ccw9mm could you read if having a C.C. permit is considered okay in the 1000 page health insurance rules and regs?
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
    NRA member 18 yrs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKnEA...C4C7BEE0A02E48

I would wait to see how well this concealed carry will really work in Illinois. They may reduce the sticker price on the applications, extend the expiry on the licenses, OR make you a felon for whatever libtard reason. So yeah, I would wait and keep your firearm in your car until you get your IL license.
    Str8upguy likes this.

GH
    I certainly won't take a chance with a gun in Il & will continue to drive around the state when I go from WI to NC & GA for reunions. I don't want to spend enough money for a non-resident Il permit that would buy me a gun. Maybe once the newness wears off of the CC law & some sensible laws concerning that are enacted.
    Str8upguy likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    I certainly won't take a chance with a gun in Il & will continue to drive around the state when I go from WI to NC & GA for reunions. I don't want to spend enough money for a non-resident Il permit that would buy me a gun. Maybe once the newness wears off of the CC law & some sensible laws concerning that are enacted.
    We had better CCW bills introduced in the legislature, I think one had a $50 fee or less and would have accepted NRA basic pistol for training and even allowed Illinoisans to carry on non-resident out-of-state CCWs for 6 months or a year. What we got was a compromise pro-carry people weren't pleased with it and anti-carry people who wanted no preemption, a may issue bill and more restrictions weren't pleased with it either. We did get uniform carry provisions for the entire state no allowance for Chicago to pass special ordinances on carry. The high cost $150 for resident and $300 for non-resident I'm sure are to pacify Chicago politicians who want to keep poor and minorities from getting a CCW. If you have a DD214 or have taken NRA basic pistol, protection in the home or outside the home you can just take an additional 8 hours covering Illinois law, drawing from cover and range qualification. Hopefully improvements will be made in the law including a reduction in costs or reciprocity with other states. Our current attorney general fought the passage of carry so reciprocity will be something she'll have to be forced to do.

Illinois does have fairly good firearm transport law. You can transport in Illinois an unloaded firearm, no round in the chamber and loaded magazine outside the mag well, encased. The Illinois supreme court has ruled that the center console is a case. The case you transport in need not be locked, BTW.
    There are no stipulations on where you can transport too. Now if you have a CCW from your state you can conceal carry in your vehicle.

Just thought I'd mention that after posting the above I just found out that there is a bill just submitted to the Illinois General Assembly to offer reciprocity. Will it pass, don't know but last year we had a good carry bill that failed by 6 votes to get a 3/5 majority to pass. It may be a little soon for reciprocity. There is also a bill to reduce the training required for CCW from 16 hours to 8, so improvements are being worked on.
    Str8upguy likes this.

Since we only travel thru Ill it wont be worth it. Just fuel-up outside Ill and drive on thru. Since wife and I both have WI & Utah permits. we get by pretty good.
    Str8upguy likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links