What you post on DC may come back to haunt you......

This is a discussion on What you post on DC may come back to haunt you...... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is about the California Deputy who shot the 13 yr old with the AK. This is NOT, NOT NOT about his actions in the ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree184Likes

Thread: What you post on DC may come back to haunt you......

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar

What you post on DC may come back to haunt you......

This is about the California Deputy who shot the 13 yr old with the AK. This is NOT, NOT NOT about his actions in the shooting. My guess is that if we start discussing his actions in the shooting, the Mods will shut this down.........

However, in the past, we have mentioned here that if we are ever involved in a shooting, that what we post on-line may get used against us.

Read this and be forewarned..........

He also is an adjunct instructor, according to his LinkedIn profile, for Gunsite Academy, an Arizona company that teaches markmanship, gun-handling and other skills to military personnel, law enforcement and "free citizens of the U.S."

In his writing, he cuts an usually high profile, with a voluminous number of online posts and magazine articles. They shed some light on his worldview and outlook on law enforcement.

He wrote for S.W.A.T. in 2008 that among the things he tells his trainees early on is that "Today is the day you may need to kill someone in order to go home."

"If you cannot turn on the 'Mean Gene' for yourself, who will?" he wrote. "If you find yourself in an ambush, in the kill zone, you need to turn on that mean gene."

Duenas, asked to provide some law enforcement context that would explain the comments, said "the statement is just saying that today is the day you may have to engage and fight for your life."

"From an officer perspective, the reality is you could be making a traffic stop and walk back to the car and have someone shoot at you," Duenas said.

As a prolific poster and moderator on The Firing Line, an online forum for gun enthusiasts hosted by S.W.A.T, Gelhaus, using his real name, offers his opinions on everything from weapons and technology, law enforcement and military tactics, and what it's like to work as a sheriff's deputy.

Gelhaus' participation in the forum was confirmed Friday by Denny Hansen, S.W.A.T.'s editor-in-chief.In one revealing thread, forum members debated whether the use of force is justified if someone brandishes or fires a BB gun at another person.

Gelhaus chimed in, writing that "It's going to come down to YOUR ability to articulate to law enforcement and very likely the Court that you were in fear of death or serious bodily injury.

"I think we keep coming back to this, articulation — your ability to explain why — will be quite significant," Gelhaus wrote
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

well...based on those few posts... he seems to be far too emersed in one aspect of policing. There is no mean gene... if your a mean person you have little or no control over your emotions and have no business in policing. Most probably he was just showing off, and playing big bad cop for the audience.

No one should use deadly force because they are mean.
    No one should use deadly force because they are angry.
    The only emotion that justifies the use of deadly force is FEAR!

I happen to think he was probably justified in the shooting... but now I think his mouth may have dug him an early grave.

You never know
    gatorbait51 and rcsoftexas like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    This is about the California Deputy who shot the 13 yr old with the AK. This is NOT, NOT NOT about his actions in the shooting. My guess is that if we start discussing his actions in the shooting, the Mods will shut this down.........

However, in the past, we have mentioned here that if we are ever involved in a shooting, that what we post on-line may get used against us.

Read this and be forewarned..........
    I saw that earlier today, and think it cuts both ways. His fate will depend on the mind set of people who judge.

Something else I read either yesterday or today made it clear he is/was a very
    experienced officer and had an experienced officer with him he who he was training as the guy was new to the dept.

As discussed earlier, it might not be difficult to articulate why he was in fear.

I'm not on the side of thinking this was a justified happening, but I don't see the
    above as harming him.

Just my opinion, of course.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

What's the problem? He's not saying anything public and LEO instructors haven't been saying for years.

Loose lips sink ships.

I don't know whether it will hurt his defense or not, but that could be a good filter to run your post through before Google sucks it into the ether world.

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    "Mean gene" is just a figure of speech. Hopefully the people that review this are not illiterate and take it out of context.

Same thing for the rest of his statements.

Jim

Senior Moderator
    It we start worrying about speaking what we believe to be the truth, that it may someday bite us in the tail, then we are all hosed.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Most of my activity on the Internet is under my real name. Keeps me honest. It's too easy to get a false sense of anonymity from a handle (not that there's anything wrong with using one).

At times I have certainly been quite careful about what I say here and on other gun forums. It's way too easy for a prosecutor or the like to take things out of context and make them sound really bad.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    Most of my activity on the Internet is under my real name. Keeps me honest. It's too easy to get a false sense of anonymity from a handle (not that there's anything wrong with using one).

At times I have certainly been quite careful about what I say here and on other gun forums. It's way too easy for a prosecutor or the like to take things out of context and make them sound really bad.
    I use my real name online for the same reason.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Maybe it's just me, but none of that stuff he said sounds that bad. He's been a cop there for over 20 years and never had a prior incident.

Posting from my phone, I blame all typos on Swype.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    It we start worrying about speaking what we believe to be the truth, that it may someday bite us in the tail, then we are all hosed.
    Absolutely. Perfectly stated. The United States wasn't built on guns. It was built on guts.

The guns helped, though. Heh-heh.

Won't matter

This thing has already degenerated into a anti gun, anti cop, minority rights cry fest with all the political opportunities and media bias included. The Gran Jury is his best hope by refusing to indict.
    msgt/ret likes this.

I have three criteria that have to be observed in order to draw and fire my weapon.These have to envolve me or my family.I have no obligation to intervene in a crime or to save anyother person from bodily harm.

means. the instrument of,or manner.
    intent. the act of,or intent.
    ability. possession of,or skill.

Most LE shooting are justified if only one of the above are citied if the order to "drop your weapon" is not obeyed.
    rcsoftexas likes this.
    In loving memory of my son Trey. *Aug 28 1982- Sept 1 2004*
    Gone from our home but not from our hearts.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Actually, I think we (as a country) may already have been "hosed".........
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links