Weapon Licensing Board (MI)

This is a discussion on Weapon Licensing Board (MI) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be appearing before the weapon licensing board in January for the last hurdle in getting my Cpl in Macomb County MI. Does anyone ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weapon Licensing Board (MI)

Weapon Licensing Board (MI)

I will be appearing before the weapon licensing board in January for the last hurdle in getting my Cpl in Macomb County MI. Does anyone have an idea of what questions they ask? Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by johnbrodie; December 7th, 2006 at 04:37 PM. Reason: spelling

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    I think alot depends on the county and participants. Common questions might be you knowledge of CCW laws(restrictions on places of carry) , training, ect.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Mine asked if I had ever been arrested, did I have any restraining orders, DUI's, felonies....which I thought they should have known anyway. If I took any medications that could impare my judgement.
    In total the 'interview' took a total of 5-10 minutes, but I am sure all counties are different.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

I can only speak to what I have heard for Otsego County. I'll be going before the board here in January (Unless by some miricle they get my prints back before next Thursday). I was told by the sheriff here that they only ask you a couple of questions about safety and prohibited carry areas. Pretty quick and painless as long as you're not an idiot when it comes to firearm saftey.

I know a friend in Montmorency county didn't have to show up to the board at all. The board meets, and then they mail you the permit.

I would assume that Macomb County is closer to what Otsego does.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

cant say i didnt have to go in front of the board in wayne county

I didnt think ya had to go infront of a board in michigan

Wow - Oakland County here and no gun board appearance required. Apparently Macomb county has a lot of time on their hands.

Mannistee (up near Cadillac) doesn't meet applicants either.

I heard of one board asking why the applicant wanted the license, which is sort of a no-no in Michigan now, although the answer was "Because it is my right" and they accepted that.

Good luck!

The Gun Board?...

Is this where you really get to speak with the 'gun gods?' Are you allowed to look at them directly? Can you stand, or must you kneel? Must you bring gifts?

{sarcasm off}...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Cool I love this place

At one time I lived in Mi. That was long before shall issue and every one had to go before the gun board and be sure they had all the right answers. I don't understand why if it's now shall issue, anyone would still have to go for any reason. Here in Fl. if you meet the requirements the state sets forth, and have a clean record you don't have to answer to anyone locally.
    Life is so much simpler here and most of the people in this area don't go ballistic if they hear the word gun. Hell, my wifes beautician carries a .357 in her purse.

I'm in michigan too, they just told me that my app should be looked at at the january 10 meeting and if they approve they send out the notification that day. I thought noone had to go in front of the board in michigan unless they had reason for it like a questionable record.

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
    I thought noone had to go in front of the board in michigan unless they had reason for it like a questionable record.
    I believe the way the law is worded, it gives the discretion to the gun board itself. My sheriff said he likes to meet everybody that will be licenced to carry in his county, so he makes it mandetory for applicants to show up. Since Michigan became "Shall Issue" I believe the stats I saw show only 7 people form my county being denied, so I really don't think its a big deal. I guess it could be intimidating to some. I've just know our sheriff for years... he's a great guy, pro gun, loves meeting people... I meet with them in January and haven't given it a second thought.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    i BELIEVE it is up to the county sheriff, if you are required to go 'in front' of the gun board or not. That is why it is different in each county.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

A good resource to check out, especially local county concerns and issues:

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/index.php?

Mine went pretty smooth here in Ingham county...just had to furnish a copy of my Permanent Resident (Green) Card to the Pros. Attorney Office..

Good luck and to being that much closer to having your CPL :)

Some how that doesn't really sound like shall issue to me. More like shall issue maybe.

It is shall issue, but usually the sheriff wants to eyeball who gets one and who doesn't. I didn't have to go in front of the gun board in Keweenaw County, but my BIL had to in neighboring Houghton County.

Don't like the gun boards? Thank the KKK.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

IN Livingston count you will go befor the gun board. One civilian, 2 Livingston county sheriffs, one state police officer and somebody from the county clerks office. They asked, are you a resident of Livingston county, ever been convicted, do you drink alcohol, if so do you know the legal limit while carrying and are you on any prescription drugs. Whole thing took less than a minuet. Then they handed me my cpl.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links