First interaction with a LEO while carrying...

This is a discussion on First interaction with a LEO while carrying... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday the family was out for a day together. We got rear ended at an intersection (no injuries). Insurance company of lady who hit us ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree125Likes

Thread: First interaction with a LEO while carrying...

First interaction with a LEO while carrying...

Yesterday the family was out for a day together. We got rear ended at an intersection (no injuries). Insurance company of lady who hit us requires a police report, so the police came. We were in Indiana, I am IL resident carrying with a Utah permit. IN is not a DTI state. I made the choice for myself when I started carrying that I would inform LEO should we have "official" contact.

When the officer arrived, I had my wallet in my hand, both hands in front of my and visible, I told him, "Sir, I want to inform you that I am Licensed to conceal carry..." He interrupted me before I could tell him I was carrying at the time. He asked "Do you have your weapon on you?" "Yes sir" I replied. He paused a second and said "OK, you're with your family, I'm not worried about it." He then went back to his cruiser to start on the paperwork.

The officer didn't even ask to check my permit and was very professional throughout the whole ordeal.

This was my first interaction with law enforcement while carrying, and I hope if I have any more, they go similar to this one.

2. Remove Ads

Just the way it was supposed to go. Good encounter...
    gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

A non event. That is the way it should be. OP, I am glad that the family is Okay.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    I know a lot of people here feel that you should not inform unless you have to. My general plan (though I pretty much never get pulled over) is that if it progresses beyond a simple ticket (i.e. hand my papers through the cracked window, get ticket same way) I will say something like you did. Glad to hear it went well.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Had an auto accident while carrying went the same way pretty much. Last year Motorcycle accident my weapon was next to my head I could not recover it. Small town EMT was no problem and LEO did as I ask. I request he turn it over to my wife or daughter that had came to the scene.
    That is how it should go. But it does not always go that way.
    gatorbait51, oldman45 and Aceoky like this.

I Was pulled over a while ago while carrying, and same almost the same happen to me. It was a non issue though he did take it from me and took it back to the car with him.. he probably ran it but it was registered to me so no big deal. He gave it back (with no ticket) and said thank you for informing him it was on me and have a nice day. So I did just that.

LOL Good for you! A non issue is amazing in the state of Illinois! Here in Arizona I always open carry. Law enforcement does even bat an eye and nobody else wants to wrestle with you.
    oldman45 and ANGLICO like this.

Glad your family is ok. Here in Ohio I have to inform. Had to inform twice. First time the LEO was a kid and ran my gun then gave it back and did not give me a ticket. Second time an older officer just said thanks for letting him know asked me what i had on me he said solid choice and then said carry on have a nice evening no ticket no warning
    Stoveman and Aceoky like this.

NC Is a "must inform" state. I've had 3 occasions to do so. 2 good ones and one bad/hilarious one. Hope all of yours are good ones.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGunny View Post
    I've had 3 occasions to do so. 2 good ones and one bad/hilarious one.
    Oh come on, you can't just leave it at that.

PA. is a no need to inform state, and I got pulled over for speeding last week. I was not carrying at the time because I had spent the day in Maryland and was returning home. This was the first time I had ever been pulled over in my life so I'm figuring the LEO will run my info and find that I have a LTCF and ask me if I am carrying. Nothing even mentioned, I was disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by DaGunny View Post
    NC Is a "must inform" state. I've had 3 occasions to do so. 2 good ones and one bad/hilarious one. Hope all of yours are good ones.
    You can't tell us you have a hilarious story, yet keep us in suspense....

I do not understand what your family had to do with all this. So if you were alone (not with your family) he would "have been worried about it"?
    Zralou and Aceoky like this.

Distinguished Member
    I've been pulled over twice since carrying concealed. Utah does not require notification but the first time I told the officer I was a permit holder and had a weapon in the car. He just said, "ok, thanks". No further comment. Second time I had learned I didn't need to inform so I didn't. Same result.

Yes, I got a freakin ticket both times. My wife has never received a ticket nor has my daughter. And my daughter deserves one every time she gets behind the wheel! She just bats her eyes and viola, no ticket. Me? If I get pulled over (not often) I get a ticket, EVERY TIME. We need more female officers so at least I can try something.

Edit, just looked in the mirror. Forget my last comment.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

DBS
    Quote Originally Posted by wyoung View Post
    I do not understand what your family had to do with all this. So if you were alone (not with your family) he would "have been worried about it"?
    Cops make judgments like this all the time. Maybe it's a form of profiling or stereotyping, and you may like it or you may not, but if a guy is out with his wife and kids he is going to seem to be less of a threat when someone is assessing his potential for criminality and violence.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links