A good reminder

A good reminder

This is a discussion on A good reminder within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As an instructor we teach a lot of things during the course of a class. With all of the different classes we teach, there is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: A good reminder

A good reminder

As an instructor we teach a lot of things during the course of a class. With all of the different classes we teach, there is one thing that remains the same. That is what to do after a shooting. That is one thing that does not change whether you are LE or a civilian. I came across this article, and found that is covered a lot of bullet points regarding that after math, from dealing with LE, Your lawyer, Emotions. It gives a general outline of what to do. If you are new to SD, please give this a look. even if you are not new to SD its a good reminder of what can happen.....

The most important article you will read: What to do after a defensive shooting | The Daily Caller
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    As an instructor we teach a lot of things during the course of a class. With all of the different classes we teach, there is one thing that remains the same. That is what to do after a shooting. That is one thing that does not change whether you are LE or a civilian. I came across this article, and found that is covered a lot of bullet points regarding that after math, from dealing with LE, Your lawyer, Emotions. It gives a general outline of what to do. If you are new to SD, please give this a look. even if you are not new to SD its a good reminder of what can happen.....

The most important article you will read: What to do after a defensive shooting | The Daily Caller
    Thanks, well appreciated. And that slide on my K frame is still a bear to rack ..
    Bad Bob and Harryball like this.

Very Good......................

Smokey
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Thanks it needs to be kept in mind and refreshed periodically.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I've read many articles & watched several videos on what to do after a defensive shooting. There are a myriad of opinions on how much to say (or not say) to the responding officers. The most profound piece of information I've taken away from all of this is: "Nothing you say can be used to help you in a court of law."
    oldnfat and gatorbait51 like this.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Distinguished Member
    Justice in our court system often isn't. LE and DAs can screw you over so bad if they want. And rest assured their agenda is far removed from yours and the good guys don't always win. Good advice from Harryball and others.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Great article Harry. Everyone who carries should read it. Jim
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    1911 responds much quicker than 911

thank you for sharing, very good info
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Just in case you want it, here's the original source of the article:

"911?- I Just Shot Someone!? - The Shooting Channel

Easier to read, not so much advertising in the way.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

VIP Member
    This should be passed out at every CCW class across the country.

Good stuff, thanks for posting.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Good advice for the most part. I have a problem with #14 though. Some people do have emotional issues after the prevail in a life or death situation. But it seems as if everyone expects the shooter to feel horrible for winning the fight. It is important to note that many people don't have that issue. They feel elation for having survived the event in the immediate aftermath and then just feel acceptance and move on with life. If you don't feel terrible afterwards, that's OK. Nothing is wrong with you- you just processed things differently than what you may read about other people feeling.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

VIP Member
    Thanks for posting that - and for the second link which is the one I used. We all need to relearn these basic steps every so often, especially the part about keeping your mouth shut after your initial and carefully worded statement.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    Always good to be reminded.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    Good advice for the most part. I have a problem with #14 though. Some people do have emotional issues after the prevail in a life or death situation. But it seems as if everyone expects the shooter to feel horrible for winning the fight. It is important to note that many people don't have that issue. They feel elation for having survived the event in the immediate aftermath and then just feel acceptance and move on with life. If you don't feel terrible afterwards, that's OK. Nothing is wrong with you- you just processed things differently than what you may read about other people feeling.

Good point Echo. When we teach it we do not teach it as an absolute. We teach it as a maybe. You may experience these types of feelings, not that you will. I think the author was saying the same thing.
    GentlemanJim and gatorbait51 like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    Thanks for posting that - and for the second link which is the one I used. We all need to relearn these basic steps every so often, especially the part about keeping your mouth shut after your initial and carefully worded statement.
    I cringe whenever I hear someone or someone's lawyer, after a shooting, say "I/He was in fear for my/his life." Trite, rehearsed. Do not say that if I am on your jury. Say something akin to "I thought that blanketity-blank was gonna kill me." That I can believe. That I can understand and feel sympathetic toward.
    gatorbait51 and Bassindude like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links