Self Defense Insurance?

This is a discussion on Self Defense Insurance? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Never even knew it existed up till today. Was talking to a friend whom I shoot with and he was telling me that it was ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Self Defense Insurance?

Self Defense Insurance?

Never even knew it existed up till today.

Was talking to a friend whom I shoot with and he was telling me that it was suggested to him by a co-worker. Unfortunately he couldn't recall who provided it. He said it's sort of like Auto Insurance. It's a "just in case" thing. Based on the coverage you chose, if you ever have to defend yourself, the Insurance Provider will help provide Bail, suggest Lawyers, pay the retainer for said Lawyer, and provide varying amounts for your Legal Defense(again determined by the coverage you pick.)

Seems like a great concept in the event that the unfortunate ever happens. Does anyone here have any experience with the stuff? Have suggestions about Providers or their benefits?

Thanks in advance
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Subbed. I'd love to hear more about this, as well as comparisons with umbrella coverage.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Hmm, I wonder if my liability umbrella has an exclusion for this. They may not have included it when I got is since it is kind of an unusual situation. Very rarely needed statistically but if you need it... expensive not to have. I will check with my carrier USAA. They treat us very well.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

VIP Member
    Just got an email about 2 days ago from the NRA about SD insurance - they sell it. Check them out.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    OK, I am not an insurance man but I have testified in three shooting cases where homeowners shot someone. The lawsuit was against the homeowner. The HO insurance company paid policy limits in each case.

I do not know what it would do towards protecting one involved in a shooting off the property but the cases I testified in was impressive the way the insurance companies defended the shooter.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    Nope.I'm sure who ever sells it would love for me to give them my money.
    gatorbait51 and rammerjammer like this.

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    This is the main company offering this type of insurance, USCCA.

Consider that all insurance is a bet. The company calculates that their liability is lower than your odds of needing the policy. You offset risk against the price of the policy.

With auto insurance, rates are fairly high, as risk is high, but odds are good that someday you'll need it. With homeowner insurance, odds are low but cost is minimal and having it is prudent. A tree will probably not fall on your house, but if it does, you probably could not afford the repair.

Self-defense concealed carry insurance is a real win for the company selling the policy. Your odds of being in a self-defense shooting situation (assuming you aren't a law-enforcement or bodyguard type person) are effectively nil.

Sure, could happen, but this is like buying airplane crash or shark attack insurance. How much risk are you offsetting?

I'd get it at like... $10 a year. Maybe. Anything more than that is money in the bank for the company. After all, if you're in a self-defense shooting, not only is that incredibly rare, but you'll only need the protection of a policy if there's any ambiguity about the righteousness of your conduct. Assuming you are obviously in the clear, the DA won't press charges. So there's just a subset of super-rare cases in which you'd "win" the bet with the insurer.

Now, if you're a private eye, a process server, doing some kind of high-risk work, yes, this would be sensible. But for Joe Average Citizen driving to and from work, getting a bottle of wine on the way home, your money would be better spent on ammo and practice.
    DaltonGang likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I received a packet from the NRA last month with all sorts of insurance offers, for self defense and theft, etc. I am sure they would be happy to send you all the information, since they get a cut for every person who signs up. It really is temping. If I still had the paper work I would scan them for you.
    NRA Member
    Criminology Student
    Expert in learning :)

Self defense insurance sounds like a waste of ca$h to me. For the premiums I have see you can get "umberlla" coverage that will cover anything by any family members in your home. Mine is through USAA. For $250 a year it covers $1,000,000 in addition to my $500,000 homeowners and auto. The likely hood of a SD shooting is small but my kids with our trampoline in the back could paralyze one of thier friends for life. That would be costly. Same for auto accidents or ANYTHING. If my stay bullet in a self defense shooting hits ANYBODY I am covered. Coverage is for ANYTHING you are deemed not CRIMINALLY liable for.
    oldman45 and WHEC724 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GetSmith View Post
    Mine is through USAA.
    Our homeowners and car insurance are through USAA also. They are absolutely A #1 to deal with as far as we are concerned. We haven't had a lot of claims over the years, but the ones we did have were handled fairly and "right now."

It seems that almost all the members here have served in the military or are spouses or children of people who are or have served, so probably almost everyone would be eligible to be a USAA member. Their premiums can at first glance sound higher than other companies, but other companies don't establish a savings account that they put money in OR give you a rebate each year. At least, not ones that I'm familiar with.
    gatorbait51 and NONAME762 like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    Everyone has to decide what's best for theirself.Personally,i don't have the money to throw away.I sit here now and think of all the money i would have wasted,had i bought some self defense insurance,when i first got my CCP,nine yrs ago.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Hate paying ins. I have usaa for car but thats it no homeowners no flood no nothing havent for years.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Upper right of this forum, search.

Try USCCA , DEFENSE SHIELD. read the posts there.

Most insurance may reimburse you for your defense, after you are found not guilty...

Ask a good criminal defense lawyer what his hourly rate is for trial work.

Ask him if he'll accept payment only if you are found not guilty.

And if you have a blanket umbrella policy.. Find out if they will defend you if charged with a crime... Find out if they will pay civil liability if you are found guilty of any crime (even a misdemeanor (say, discharging a firearm in city limits)) if that crime is in any way associated with the civil action...

Save your money kids.

If you really think you need something, you might check out ACLDN. At least you are part of a group of like minded folks, not trying to sell you every internet financial wizardry like USCCA .

Hope this helps.

Yeah, I got tapatalk, too. So what?
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I'm to old besides in a must retreat state which I'm not I still win because I can't run so either go free or get 3 hot's and a cot and they have to pay my medical and I don't have to sign up on a web site that won't work, win win for me. It' all good where ever I am at.

Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    OK, I am not an insurance man but I have testified in three shooting cases where homeowners shot someone. The lawsuit was against the homeowner. The HO insurance company paid policy limits in each case.

I do not know what it would do towards protecting one involved in a shooting off the property but the cases I testified in was impressive the way the insurance companies defended the shooter.
    Paid policy limits??? Does this mean your guy lost?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links