What to do with CCW when home

This is a discussion on What to do with CCW when home within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I always run into a dilemma about what to do with my gun(s) when I am home. I have a gun safe and store all ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do with CCW when home

What to do with CCW when home

I always run into a dilemma about what to do with my gun(s) when I am home. I have a gun safe and store all of my guns in it. I recently received my CCP and will be carrying so this compounds my problem. I have a daughter and make it a rule to always have my gun(s) secure. If I am not wearing it or going to use it I lock it up. My problem is what do I do when someone enters my house and my gun is in the safe? I realize it is a crap shoot. Before kids I would just keep the gun in the nightstand, but this makes me nervous with the little one. What is the best approach?

2. Remove Ads

Howdy!
    I have a similar situation (a 5 yr old daughter). I keep my handguns all locked up except for the one that I am carrying. I simply continue to carry it around the house so that it is totally under my control (and therefore not a safety hazard), but yet it is readily accessable. When sleeping or showering, I clear the chamber and keep it in condition 3 and within reach. That way, if by some long shot my child does pick it up, she is incapable of firing it. However, If it is needed to deal with an intruder, I simply have to cycle the slide and it is ready to go.
    Since I live in a rural area, there is a long gun available as well, also in condition 3.

I wear mine all the time. I have my gun on about 15 or so hours a day. I carry a 1911/.45. Whith the right holster you don't even know it's there.
    You might be a Redneck if: You've ever pruned your trees with a shotgun.

Wear it all the time when you're awake. For when you're asleep or in the shower, you might want to look into a small safe that can be opened quickly.

Good point Gary... I think I will try that. I carry a Taurus PT745 and I know my daughter could not pull the slide back. I am scared to death that something bad would happen to her... My life would essentially be over if it was my fault. I don't carry at work, I work for a bank (non-security). I do carry on the weekends and the days I work from home, so I appreciate the input.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    For one thing, TEACH the little one.

For another, KEEP THE GUN ON OR NEAR YOU EVEN WHEN IN THE HOUSE. We read constantly (like in "The Armed Citizen") about home invasions. The gun will do you no good if it's in the safe when it is needed.

I've got a 9yo and 4yo...and do the same thing as Gary....however, my 9yo has known I carry--mostly to prevent him from being suprised and saying something at the wrong time and place, but also to educate him on safe handling of firearms.

My 4yo--just showed him one of my carry guns...why? for the same reasons as above. I like to get them started early and take away the curiosity factor...

When in bed/showering--it's no further than my arms length away out of their reach...

I carry one of my P3ATs in my pocket at home. It is on my desk next to me when on my computer or on my nightstand when I'm in bed. I'm so used to carrying it in a pocket/wallet holster that it is with me everywhere.

Other guns are in various places around my home. My plinking - range guns and long-guns are unloaded & locked up (but magazines are loaded). My children are grown and on their own so no safety issues. When the grandkids come over. My guns (except the AK & one P3AT) are locked up.

My AK is hanging "somewhere" in "condition 3" with a 50 round banana clip in it and a couple of 30 rounders are close by.

My guns are only locked up when I'm traveling (except for my 2 CCW pieces that are with me).
    KJ

Member: NRA, GOA

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle" - Navy Seals

I agree with Peaceful Jeffrey. Teach them. Teach them how easy it is to "accidentally" chamber a round in a semi-auto. Take them shooting with you, let them hold it if they want, let them shoot (if you have a .22 or something easy). TAKE AWAY CURIOSITY!!! Then teach them that every firearm in the house is ALWAYS loaded (whether it really is or not). I've done this with my son, and I feel very confident in his "gun smarts". This of course depends on the age of your child.

I think it is a combination of teaching your child about gun safety to take away the mystery and the taboo aspect of the gun and, wearing it all the time. The more she sees you wearing it, the less it will seem like something that she may want to play with.

I wear mine all the time. We have 5 kids. The oldest is 16. The youngest are 4 year old twin boys. They all know the gun (and the one my wife wears) are tools and not some majic thing that might be cool to play with. They know not to fool with them. And they all understand what a gun can do.

Educate your child.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Ron
    My kids are grown, but I have two young grandchildren who visit us frequently during the week, so I essentially have the same problem. I agree that education is very important, but I disagree that it alone is sufficient precaution against a potential tragedy. If the gun is not on you, then IMO it needs to be in a gun safe. Your kids may know better, but they probably have friends visiting, and, kids, being kids, do stupid things all the time. I would much prefer to be accused of being paranoid, then risk a disaster that I would find it hard to live with. At night, I keep a mini gun safe open by my side of the bed so that I have instant access, if needed.

Ron

Hi Guys!
    I agree wholeheartedly that education is part of the solution. As previously stated, doing away with the "curiosity factor" goes a long way toward preventing a tragedy.
    For example, about a year ago, our daughter (4 at the time) suddenly had this intense curiosity about my guns was just facinated with them.
    I took her out back to our range, and placed a 10/22 in her arms, shouldered it for her (all while holding it tightly myself to control it's direction) and let her fire a round at a pop can. She thought that was really cool. She fired a few more rounds, got bored and asked me if she could go play...
    Problem solved - she could not care less about them now. (Her only present facination is with Clifford the Big Red Dog...)

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I essentially do the same thing as Gary. I also have two small $50 gun vaults with easy to use control pad, I can put the firearm in there when showering etc or at night. I have two little ones and there safety is paramount. at the ages of my children condition 3 will work, but as they get older the gun vaults are going to become more necessary.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

No kids...so sometimes my house kinda looks like the Punisher's setup (the 2nd version, not the one W/Dolf)
    Usually my 1911 is IWB strong side and my P3AT in in the pocket from the time I get dressed until bedtime.

I don't have kids of my own, but my wife and I have several young family members that visit us. When they're around, I follow a couple gun rules.

If a gun isn't on my hip, it's locked up. And when I'm at home, there's always a gun on my hip. At night, there's one gun either on the nightstand, or in the top drawer of the nightstand, and it goes right back on my hip when I get up in the morning.

Most of my wife's family are anti's, and they have yet to notice that I concealed carry at home. I don't have a CA CCW, so I can't carry when we're out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links