Another reason to carry

This is a discussion on Another reason to carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Living in Florida, it's warm out even after the time changes so I find myself out walking in the neighborhood after dark (exercise). I'm always ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Another reason to carry

Another reason to carry

Living in Florida, it's warm out even after the time changes so I find myself out walking in the neighborhood after dark (exercise). I'm always carrying and specifically bought a small 380 for carrying in gym shorts while walking. I'm in the "always carry" camp and don't really look for or need any specific reasons to carry, but have found myself in conversations with people discussing those reasons.

Bad things happen to good people and I see it on the news every day in this area. That's good enough reason. Add in the potential attack from dogs and coyotes and it certainly gives another dimension (and before the dog lovers flame me, I was personally attacked by 2 pit bulls simultaneously once and still have the scars to remind me of it). I love animals, but I also respect the damage they can do to a person.

Well, yesterday, we saw something within a mile of our house that I've NEVER seen before and would have never imagined a potential threat. A MONKEY. Yep, that's right, we saw a MONKEY in a tree on our way to church about a mile from our house. Those things can hurt a person in a heartbeat. There was a woman in St. Pete, FL, who was bitten by one (the famous St. Pete Monkey that was on the loose avoiding capture for quite a while).

St first I thought I was just crazy, then I jumped on my phone and looked up monkeys in Florida and found this:

Florida's Herpes-Infected Rhesus Monkey Problem

That's just another thing to keep in the back of my head as a potential threat when I'm out walking. Geez. I would have never imagined.
    Last edited by BugDude; November 4th, 2013 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Corrected detail of St. Pete Monkey
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

My #1 reason for carrying is for protection from Sasquatch. With all the nitt witts out in the wilds searching for them, it's only a matter of time before they are flushed out and make their way into the city and start wreaking havoc!

Seriously though, I had no idea there was a monkey problem down there. I recall a few stories, but had no idea they were that common.

Try telling your wife you have herpes because you were attacked by a monkey...
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    We've got a chimp refuge over here on this side of the state. I guess once the NY'ers invaded, every other species deemed it open season to move in also.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Try telling your wife you have herpes because you were attacked by a monkey...
    You have to try something.
    gatorbait51 and Bad Bob like this.

BugDude, I had no idea that there were problems with these Rhesus monkeys and that they had multiplied so quickly. I guess that I knew that there had been some monkeys spotted here in Florida, but not that they had actually been a problem. Bingo! Then I remembered...apart from the aforementioned concern...

It's been a long time, but I had been attacked and bitten by a Rhesus monkey. It was in my much younger days...decades (quite a few of them) ago. I was still in college and worked at Parke-Davis Research located just off of the University of Michigan campus. Parke-Davis was one of the largest drug companies in the U.S., and I was lucky enough to get a part-time job there while in college. I was a lab tech in parasitology, and I dealt with the Rhesus monkeys...I did this for 2 years.

It only happened one time, but I will never forget it. Let me first say that a Rhesus monkey that only weighs about 20 pounds (and thats a big one) has the strength of several men, and can kill a man. The smaller ones can also ruin your day, but maybe not end your time here on earth. One day, and this little guy somehow managed to get out of his restraints (worn during the blood work) and was wandering around the room that his restraint chair was in...I didn't know that, and walked into the room. This little guy was lightning fast and came right at me...I was now a strange threat in HIS room. He managed to grab onto me and circle my body two or three times while bitting me in the butt several times. He was off me just as quickly and I scurried out of the room. It was quite a frightening experience. I was young, in great 'wresting shape' and pretty confident about my physical abilities (remember those days?), never the less, this little brown ball of lightening speed and vicious intentions, out matched me in a heartbeat.

By opening a series of doors, the little 'criminal' scurried back into his holding area and I was taken to medical. I also had to go through a series of shots...that little sucker now had caused me more pain.

If it was any consolation, I did eventually end up putting his lights out, permanently, as it was part of my job to euthanize these guys for the research process. I know first hand, just how quickly these monkeys can move. If one did come at you, you better be quick and accurate with your defense strategy...one monkey would be quite a challenge to defend against. I would think that just the sound of a firearm would chase them away, but who knows. IF...there was one in the trees near me, and he gave me any attention at all, I'd invite him to play "lead catch"...i know that they are not THAT fast.

Well that's my story, and I'm sticking' to it...thanks for the heads-up.
    D_FIN, pgrass101, Brad426 and 5 others like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

When I was an advisor in Viet Nam, I spent time with families who had pet monkeys. They are mean, vile, conniving little creatures. I often had to spend time on an Army outpost on top of a flat mountain top. They had a pet monkey kept on a very long wire cable in the center of the area. The buildings were around the edge with a large helicopter landing area in the middle. The monkey's cable was tied to an eye-bolt in the middle of the landing area. I was in the Navy and could wear a beard. Mine was long and bushy at the time. There was a group of Army guys talking in the landing area and one of them had the monkey in his arms. The Army guys were all clean shaven. When I walked up, the monkey took one look at me and jumped out of the guy's arms. He ran screeching to the end of the cable and jumped up and down with fear tugging on the cable. He must have thought I was the biggest ape he had ever seen. Every time he saw me, he would run as far away as possible while screeching and jumping up and down.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Cool

Mr RetSupt I remember those wonderful Parke-Davis black licorice cough suppressant wafers. They came in a flat box about 4"x4"x 3/8" thick. The wafers (if my memory serves) were 3/4" diameter and guessing 1/8" thick. As a kid growing up I LOVED RED licorice and HATED black licorice. Growing up sometimes the medicine Mom gave us was yucky. We took it anyway. Those Parke-Davis *throat disks* worked like gang busters. One of the ingredients was/sounded like Coliform/Choliform something like that. Worked super. For some reason FDA made them take the active ingredient out and after that they were worthless. Twenty years later and ever since it's been Fisherman's Friend cough drops for me. In winter I'll carry them in my truck, vest pockets, lunch box, sometimes even in the FAK.

If that had of been me with a Herpes infected monkey running loose I got no qualms at all waxing the little devil. Pick it up with a round point shovel and burn it or bury it with some lime to speed decomposition.

I've been bitten twice by dogs that both owners said their dogs are friendly and would never bite someone. The first time was at work. I told the owner get him in your house or I will call Rangers who in turn might call Animal Control. I got instant cooperation at that point. I made my inspection of his water setup. It was A OK. That's WHY I carried dog treats!!! To avoid getting bitten in the first place!! Second time was just in last 2 years or so. A neighbor who has since moved. His dog actually drew blood as I found out a couple hours later. From then on my visits to that neighbor were much less frequent. The day I was bit I had my gun on me. After that I never turned my back on that dog ever again.
    The entire neighborhood was glad when these people moved. They were too rowdy for me even.

53 minutes to LITBeaver.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

I dont know if its an urban legend or not, but I seem to recall something about how monkeys used in the space program way back in the day got loose in FL, and are still living wild.

Herpes infected monkeys sounds like something off the Daily Show...
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Well this wasn't in the brochure when I decided to move down here!
    BugDude, Brad426, Sister and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    BugDude, I had no idea that there were problems with these Rhesus monkeys and that they had multiplied so quickly. I guess that I knew that there had been some monkeys spotted here in Florida, but not that they had actually been a problem. Bingo! Then I remembered...apart from the aforementioned concern...

It's been a long time, but I had been attacked and bitten by a Rhesus monkey. It was in my much younger days...decades (quite a few of them) ago. I was still in college and worked at Parke-Davis Research located just off of the University of Michigan campus. Parke-Davis was one of the largest drug companies in the U.S., and I was lucky enough to get a part-time job there while in college. I was a lab tech in parasitology, and I dealt with the Rhesus monkeys...I did this for 2 years.

It only happened one time, but I will never forget it. Let me first say that a Rhesus monkey that only weighs about 20 pounds (and thats a big one) has the strength of several men, and can kill a man. The smaller ones can also ruin your day, but maybe not end you time here on earth. One day, and this little guy somehow managed to get out of his restraints (worn during the blood work) and was wandering around the room that his restraint chair was in...I didn't know that, and walked into the room. This little guy was lightning fast and came right at me...I was now a strange threat in HIS room. He managed to grab onto me and circle my body two or three times while bitting me in the butt several times. He was off me just as quickly and I scurried out of the room. It was quite a frightening experience. I was young, in great 'wresting shape' and pretty confident about my physical abilities (remember those days?), never the less, this little brown ball of lightening speed and vicious intentions, out matched me in a heartbeat.

By opening a series of doors, the little 'criminal' scurried back into his holding area and I was taken to medical. I also had to go through a series of shots...that little sucker now had caused me more pain.

If it was any consolation, I did eventually end up putting his lights out, permanently, as it was part of my job to euthanize these guys for the research process. I know first hand, just how quickly these monkeys can move. If one did come at you, you better be quick and accurate with your defense strategy...one monkey would be quite a challenge to defend against. I would think that just the sound of a firearm would chase them away, but who knows. IF...there was one in the trees near me, and he gave me any attention at all, I'd invite him to play "lead catch"...i know that they are not THAT fast.

Well that's my story, and I'm sticking' to it...thanks for the heads-up.

Oh wow that has got to be one hell of a "Hey where did you get that scar story".

Well Ya see I was bit on the ass by a monkey.....
    pgrass101 likes this.

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    Gosh, I hate monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    I dont know if its an urban legend or not, but I seem to recall something about how monkeys used in the space program way back in the day got loose in FL, and are still living wild.
    Here's the history, which is consistent with many other sources I've been able to find:

Feral rhesus macaque - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member
    In PI at Cubi Point, while running during PT, the monkeys used to throw rocks at you from the sides of the roads. The b***** are mean, territorial, and aggressive. Hell with a pistol, I wanted to take a mini-gun to the damn things.
    Recon1342 and BugDude like this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links