New permit recipient. Should I alert the local PD?

This is a discussion on New permit recipient. Should I alert the local PD? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have applied for my Concealed Handgun Permit. I don't know of any reason why I will be denied, so I'm expecting it to arrive ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: New permit recipient. Should I alert the local PD?

I have applied for my Concealed Handgun Permit. I don't know of any reason why I will be denied, so I'm expecting it to arrive in about 30 days. A friend of mine who got his permit told me that I should alert my local PD that I have a CHP and will be carrying in and around my home. It might need to be noted that I live in a very small, very "blue" town. It's jokingly referred to as Mayberry sometimes, and it's the kinda town where you know and recognize just about everybody. The town police are friendly, and they are involved in town functions, and they'll tell you to call them by their first name. It's an awesome place to live.
    Back to my buddies advice.....His logic is that if for whatever reason I am forced to use my gun in a self-defense situation in my home, the cops who arrive first will hopefully know that "this homeowner has a handgun and is permitted to carry it". Basically, if the cops see me with a gun, they know I'm not the threat.

Any thoughts or advice from LEOs or experienced carriers appreciated.

VIP Member
    Uh, ..... no.

If there is a shooting, they won't care until long after they arrive.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Your friend is wrong. Your carrying is between you and the issuing agency and any LEO who asks in the course of official business, unless VA is "must notify."
    marcclarke, Aceoky, darbo and 2 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    No.

Furthermore, anyone with a gun is a possible threat - if they think otherwise they're playing a dangerous game. For them to think 'oh it's just Johnny, he's got a permit' is foolish.

No! You do what you want, but I would advise against it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    darbo likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Just because you have a gun and a CHL doesn't mean that you won't ever pose a threat - at least that's the mindset that the police should always have. "Oh, it's just John Doe" is the kind of thinking that can get people killed.

Do not notify them. That's probably some of the most ridiculous advice I've ever heard. If anything ever happens, whether you're just random guy down the street or a familiar face, they will treat you the same. There is no benefit to informing the police that you carry. Unless VA law declares that you must notify during official interaction, there is no need to do so.
    marcclarke, mprp, JDE101 and 4 others like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Not to be rude,but what your friend told you,is one of the dumbest things i've ever heard.He must be an attention seeker.No reason to tell them unless they have to.

Definitely NOT!!!!!!!!
    marcclarke and darbo like this.

I havent, and wasn't planning on it. I was posting the thread to see if that was actually sound advice. His father was a cop, so I was sorta ready to believe the logic, and it kinda makes sense, I suppose, to alert local PD that I'm one of the good guys. But then, why do it at all? It's none of their business.
    NONAME762 and Recon1342 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent95 View Post
    Not to be rude,but what your friend told you,is one of the dumbest things i've ever heard.He must be an attention seeker.No reason to tell them unless they have to.
    ^^^^^^

Agreed

VIP Member
    No need, particularly if you are going to carry that Glock 21 in a hybrid holster. They will figure it all out on their own in no time. Joking aside, welcome to the forum.
    Stoveman likes this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Newtopian View Post
    I have applied for my Concealed Handgun Permit. I don't know of any reason why I will be denied, so I'm expecting it to arrive in about 30 days. A friend of mine who got his permit told me that I should alert my local PD that I have a CHP and will be carrying in and around my home. It might need to be noted that I live in a very small, very "blue" town. It's jokingly referred to as Mayberry sometimes, and it's the kinda town where you know and recognize just about everybody. The town police are friendly, and they are involved in town functions, and they'll tell you to call them by their first name. It's an awesome place to live.
    Back to my buddies advice.....His logic is that if for whatever reason I am forced to use my gun in a self-defense situation in my home, the cops who arrive first will hopefully know that "this homeowner has a handgun and is permitted to carry it". Basically, if the cops see me with a gun, they know I'm not the threat.

Any thoughts or advice from LEOs or experienced carriers appreciated.
    First of all, even in draconian states, like Illinois or City States like DC, you are allowed to have guns in your home and on your property even openly carried if you wish (in most, if not all states)... At least after Heller (Supreme court decision).

In most states, you're not required to retreat in your home, and any shooting done defensively in your home is mostly legal, Because you can assume the BG entering your home is a deadly threat, especially at home. (There are exceptions).

Do not waste your time informing the police you have a permit... It's just a bit like being a wannabe cop... "See, I'm one of you guys, now" kinda thing. You are not one of them now. You are not a super hero, or a member of the justice league either, if that is a concern.

You should not buy a CCW Badge or a sash.

You are a legally armed citizen. You have more responsibilities now. The first of which is to try to read and understand your state's laws about the use of deadly weapons as a crime, and in self defense. About where you can carry and where you cannot. About deadly force, and reasonable force, and reasonably being in fear of your life or of great bodily injury.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
    mprp, JDE101, SWIll and 2 others like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Not just no, but HELLO NO!

Distinguished Member
    So when you're walking around in the forest on a beautiful summer day do you look for hornets nest to whack with a stick? It's no body's business. There are some things you keep to yourself. Always carry, never tell.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    Personally,i've never advertised to anyone i have a CCP or a firearm.The less that knows,the better i like it.Unless i have to inform a LEO,i'm not telling.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links