New laws proposed for Ohio.....

This is a discussion on New laws proposed for Ohio..... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Someone led me to this in our local paper. I'll post the link and open up discussion if anybody wants. Ohio takes aim at gun ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: New laws proposed for Ohio.....

New laws proposed for Ohio.....

Someone led me to this in our local paper. I'll post the link and open up discussion if anybody wants.
    Ohio takes aim at gun laws - Sentinel-Tribune | Sentinel-Tribune | Sentinel-Tribune | Bill, Reply, Quote, Said, House

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    A quote from a comment on the article:

During my law enforcement training, we spent 280 hours on handgun training, including 60 hours just on "shoot or don't shoot." Then we had to pass extremely realistic scenarios. And every year we had to get additional training and requalify.These rules are a JOKE. Its the epitome of knowing "just enough to be dangerous."]
    Glad we all know what infringed means.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

The bill proposes allowing shorter courses *if the instructor can cover the required material in less time*. Right now, you're mandated to spend 12 hours in the classroom + range whether there's something to be learned or not, which is the definition of stupid.
    stylus likes this.

^ Regarding the comment to that article ...

Agreed, that training is good and useful. Everyone can benefit, obviously so. One can never know enough, train enough.

Agreed that requirements prior to being allowed to have the right are infringements. Hard to call them anything else. And those are specifically, categorically disallowed to occur by the 2A in the Constitution.

My view ... We're speaking of the RIGHT to carry, own, possess, use, buy/sell here. Not the desire of a person. Not the need of a person. But the right. Which means anyone, irrespective of color, gender, training level, financial situation, experience or whatever. Every citizen has the right.

IOW, with infringements you don't get the right unless you get authorized by the government hirelings. Until then, you're a criminal if you attempt to exercise it. Infringements galore, blessed by SCOTUS and backed at the point of a gun via the full force of the State against you. Yup.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Ohio's concealed carry and lethal force laws have been works in progress since 2004, when Concealed Handgun Licenses first came into being here. Each change has been an improvement.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Ohio's concealed carry and lethal force laws have been works in progress since 2004, when Concealed Handgun Licenses first came into being here. Each change has been an improvement.
    I'm just glad I can load my freaking AR mags before I go to the range and not have to worry about a felony if getting pulled over anymore!
    stylus likes this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    I'm just glad I can load my freaking AR mags before I go to the range and not have to worry about a felony if getting pulled over anymore!
    When we get rid of those felony carry zones, we will have arrived.
    Tuco

"Ohio's concealed carry and lethal force laws have been works in progress since 2004, when Concealed Handgun Licenses first came into being here. Each change has been an improvement."

I agree. I actually waited until a few years ago to get my permit. The laws are getting better.

And I agree with "the right to carry" and how they make it look like it's a privilege that we can carry once we go through all the paper work and training.

On the other hand though I feel the training is needed for some persons. Personally I don't agree on cutting class time from 12 hrs down to 4. I've been hunting and shooting guns since I was big enough to hold them on my own. But, I did learn a few things in our class. Now we took the 12 hrs all in one day. It was with a Sheriff Sargent who also competes in rifle/sniper competitions. He put on a very professional, thorough class and it actually went pretty quick for doing it in one day.

Each little law/step is in the right direction so far. That is a good thing. :)

Sponsor
    I posted a response to the comments. I can't wait to see if it makes it past the moderation. Nothing even remotely nasty but I didn't come out in favor mandated training so...
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by Jjxj View Post
    "Ohio's concealed carry and lethal force laws have been works in progress since 2004, when Concealed Handgun Licenses first came into being here. Each change has been an improvement."

I agree. I actually waited until a few years ago to get my permit. The laws are getting better.

And I agree with "the right to carry" and how they make it look like it's a privilege that we can carry once we go through all the paper work and training.

On the other hand though I feel the training is. Personally I don't agree on cutting class time from 12 hrs down to 4. I've been hunting and shooting guns since I was big enough to hold them on my own. But, I did learn a few things in our class. Now we took the 12 hrs all in one day. It was with a Sheriff Sargent who also competes in rifle/sniper competitions. He put on a very professional, thorough class and it actually went pretty quick for doing it in one day.

Each little law/step is in the right direction so far. That is a good thing. :)
    Gee I wonder what people ever did before poppa government was in the picture.
    Ghost1958 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    Gee I wonder what people ever did before poppa government was in the picture.
    In Ohio, I can tell you what they did not do between 1859 and 2004.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Tuco

Administrator
    I get the whole shall not be infringed argument, but I also will say that if the state is
    going to mandate training, than daggonit, make it something meaning full. Right now, Ohio's (and all the other states I've looked at) are a absolute joke. That gives people a false sense of skill and knowledge which is really a dangerous thing. I'd rather it be a no permit thing over the way it's done now.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    In Ohio, I can tell you what they did not do between 1859 and 2004.
    Yeah, I get the whole we've made progress thing and we are better off now. I'm speaking towards the attitude that people should be required to get permits at all.
    Ghost1958 and gatorbait51 like this.

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    In the article referenced...

Any reciprocity agreement should require that standards of other states be equal to or more stringent than Ohio, Wasylyshyn said.
    Oh?..So Ohio is the standard bearer? In other words (Ohio) will decide if my state has provided adequate training?

So let's see. "Equal to"? Based on hours or quality of training? This is yet another very slippery slope.

For the record: Indiana recognizes Ohio's permit to carry but the reverse is not allowed. Perhaps Indiana needs to tell Ohio to get stuffed?

Where does this end and who decides how much training is enough? "More Stringent"? Looks like we will all soon be highly trained Seal Team 6 members or we
    just ain't gonna' shoot no more. Oh! Duck hunting only? Not as much training. Carry permit? Tons of training. Home defense only? Somewhere in the middle I suppose.

Amazing how 545 people decide what's best for 250 million.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Should it be RKBA, or RKBAWTT (Right to Keep and Bear Arms With a Ton of Training)?
    I think I'll stick with 2A...RKBA
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links