question about traveling and CCW

This is a discussion on question about traveling and CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm going up to PA with my girlfriend for Christmas for about a week. I've done some research and every state that we will travel ...

Thread: question about traveling and CCW

I'm going up to PA with my girlfriend for Christmas for about a week. I've done some research and every state that we will travel through, by car, honors NC's CC permit, except Maryland. My question is, should I worry about that, because it won't take any time to travel through Maryland, if we do at all.

Another question is how does the reciprocity work? Can I carry concealed in any state with reciprocity as long as I'm just visiting? Or does it only pertain to traveling? Or should I just not carry at all and take my chances? They're are some pretty sketchy folks where we're going.

I know that reciprocity should mean that by law LEO have to honor your state's CC permit. But are there any loopholes that I could be missing? Has anyone ever had any problems with this?

The reason I'm so concerned is that before I actually got my CCW I was arressted for carrying concealed in my car. This was before I was even aware of CC laws, and I went through a whole lot of crap trying to get out of that, and that incidence is what provoked me even getting my CC permit
    Springfield EMP
    XD 40 SC
    Para Slim Hawg
    Rossi .38
    AK-47 Bulgarian SSR 85C 2
    AK-47 Hungarian AMD 63

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear his pants.

As a former Marylander, if you decide to travel through the state without having a concealed permit for Maryland (and don't separate the guns and ammo, and store them away from you - ammo/mags in glove box and weapon unloaded in your trunk) you run the risk of getting hauled in if you're caught speeding, etc. God help you if someone notices your weapon at a rest stop or gas station. Do I think it's stupid? Yes. But hey, dem's the breaks.

As far as reciprocity goes, yes, the states that honor your state's permit do just that - honor it. This allows you to carry concealed in those states without the need for that state's particular permit. However, some states have varying laws regarding concealed carry, so you will need to consult www.handgunlaw.us or similar informative sites (ideally, the state's own statutes) regarding places where carry is not allowed, and various state's definitions of deadly force and when it's applicable. Generally speaking, most states that have "Shall-Issue" laws are typically similar when it comes to their definitions of things like this, but it always pays to be 100% sure.

Do some research, DON'T drive through Maryland concealed/loaded, be safe and have a Merry Christmas!
    Last edited by Nate; December 8th, 2006 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mbj0186 View Post
    I'm going up to PA with my girlfriend for Christmas for about a week. I've done some research and every state that we will travel through, by car, honors NC's CC permit, except Maryland. My question is, should I worry about that, because it won't take any time to travel through Maryland, if we do at all.

Another question is how does the reciprocity work? Can I carry concealed in any state with reciprocity as long as I'm just visiting? Or does it only pertain to traveling? Or should I just not carry at all and take my chances? They're are some pretty sketchy folks where we're going.

I know that reciprocity should mean that by law LEO have to honor your state's CC permit. But are there any loopholes that I could be missing? Has anyone ever had any problems with this?

The reason I'm so concerned is that before I actually got my CCW I was arressted for carrying concealed in my car. This was before I was even aware of CC laws, and I went through a whole lot of crap trying to get out of that, and that incidence is what provoked me even getting my CC permit
    Well, the short answer is to not go through Maryland. That way you won't spend any money there thus applying an economic sanction due to their shortsightedness and you can't fall through whatever regulatory cracks they might have. Go here http://www.packing.org/ and here http://www.handgunlaw.us/ and print out the relevant information, put it in a file folder, and take it with you. It has also been the practice of some to call the AG office in the states you have uncertainty about and ask them exactly what pertains to your situation. Correspond by email so you can print out their response and carry that with you as well. If it looks like a no-go, then it is a no-go. The carry community has a responsibility to assure the rest of society that we are on the up-and-up and the best way to accomplish that is to be informed and act within the law at all times. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    As a former Marylander, if you decide to travel through the state without having a concealed permit for Maryland (and don't separate the guns and ammo, and store them away from you - ammo/mags in glove box and weapon unloaded in your trunk) you run the risk of getting hauled in if you're caught speeding, etc. God help you if someone notices your weapon at a rest stop or gas station. Do I think it's stupid? Yes. But hey, dem's the breaks.

As far as reciprocity goes, yes, the states that honor your state's permit do just that - honor it. This allows you to carry concealed in those states without the need for that state's particular permit. However, some states have varying laws regarding concealed carry, so you will need to consult www.handgunlaw.us or similar informative sites (ideally, the state's own statutes) regarding places where carry is not allowed, and various state's definitions of deadly force and when it's applicable. Generally speaking, most states that have "Shall-Issue" laws are typically similar when it comes to their definitions of things like this, but it always pays to be 100% sure.

Do some research, DON'T drive through Maryland concealed/loaded, be safe and have a Merry Christmas!
    Thanks, I will. Appreciate the response. Merry hoho to you as well!
    Springfield EMP
    XD 40 SC
    Para Slim Hawg
    Rossi .38
    AK-47 Bulgarian SSR 85C 2
    AK-47 Hungarian AMD 63

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear his pants.

Sponsored Links